Dou ka Ore wo Houtte Oitekure - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - Mashiro Shiramine Spoke to Me Again

Dex-chan lover
Multiple girls interested in the MC does not make a serie "Harem". It's simply a love triangle or whatever situation.
Harem is when the MC is actually interested in more than one of them at once.

At this point in the story there's no indication that is the case. Yes, MAYBE all three of the girls will eventually be interested in him but... that does not mean he's going to be interested in THEM.

We shall see. I like the Gal the best for now, though the time traveler gives me the vibes of having been through more than one regression. Or perhaps, of being interested in the MC from before.
Time traveler feels like she was aware of something MC was doing before going back, perhaps passing by in elementary/middle and some kind of curiosity 2nd/3rd year.
Mainly looking forward to him being forced into talking with sports guys and being even more out of his comfort zone.

Dex-chan lover
Time traveler feels like she was aware of something MC was doing before going back, perhaps passing by in elementary/middle and some kind of curiosity 2nd/3rd year.
Mainly looking forward to him being forced into talking with sports guys and being even more out of his comfort zone.
As far as I know its all female that become friends from the novel

Dex-chan lover
MC being friends with only girls doesn’t feel forced and so far the story does not contain the annoying scenes that come with harem
does it really matter if you’re going to read it anyway?
Hoshigasaki best girl btw

Dex-chan lover
Can people tell me how [harem] tag seems to be a negative point to a series?
Honestly all I can think of while reading this series is Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun... but with an FMC that is more tolerable... and I don't really remember people complaining when that had a harem~y vibe.
Like I keep seeing people complain about a series being a certain genre... but aren't you the one that chose to read said series?

Dex-chan lover
Honestly all I can think of while reading this series is Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun... but with an FMC that is more tolerable... and I don't really remember people complaining when that had a harem~y vibe.
Like I keep seeing people complain about a series being a certain genre... but aren't you the one that chose to read said series?
Its because most series that go harem, turn all the harem members into 1d or 2d characters and as the harems inevitably grow more and more of them just become background characters that dont even speak anymore. Plus alot of isekai harems end up with like 8 or more wives.

Dex-chan lover
Its because most series that go harem, turn all the harem members into 1d or 2d characters and as the harems inevitably grow more and more of them just become background characters that dont even speak anymore. Plus alot of isekai harems end up with like 8 or more wives.

A good question to ask yourself is, How many good series with harem as a main focus can you name?

Dex-chan lover

A good question to ask yourself is, How many good series with harem as a main focus can you name?
Doesn't the fault then lies on the author instead of the genre itself? I've read a lot of non-harem series that has an equal amount of forgettable characters(both side and main) that I doubt it's because of the cast size.

Me giving what I think is a "good" harem focused series wouldn't really matter since I personally don't have much disdain for the genre itself; but if you really want me to give some example I can just give like one of the most absurd harem and also one of the harems that has an "overpopulated" cast size: 100 Kanojo

Dex-chan lover
Doesn't the fault then lies on the author instead of the genre itself? I've read a lot of non-harem series that has an equal amount of forgettable characters(both side and main) that I doubt it's because of the cast size.

Me giving what I think is a "good" harem focused series wouldn't really matter since I personally don't have much disdain for the genre itself; but if you really want me to give some example I can just give like one of the most absurd harem and also one of the harems that has an "overpopulated" cast size: 100 Kanojo
For me I feel some genres seem to attract lazy writers or are inherently geared towards mediocriity, Harem, Isekai and Rom-Com at the moment seem to be hot beds for bad writers especially. Which is sad cause all 3 of those genres are ripe for all kinds of good different stories instead they are always beholden to the tropes and repetative design.

Dex-chan lover
For me I feel some genres seem to attract lazy writers or are inherently geared towards mediocriity, Harem, Isekai and Rom-Com at the moment seem to be hot beds for bad writers especially. Which is sad cause all 3 of those genres are ripe for all kinds of good different stories instead they are always beholden to the tropes and repetative design.
The "problem" with that isn't necessarily because of lazy writers but more of amateur writers; the author of Time Stop Brave even outright mentioned that isekai is probably one of the easiest genres for new writers because of how readers are already used to "game mechanics" thus making exposition a lot less of a problem for anybody that wants to do a fantasy series. Most of the time mediocre and generic harem/isekai/romcom series when given enough time tend to grow their own roots and identity and actually become a decent to good series.

The largest part on why I tend to mainly read the generic and mediocre genres rather than go with the mainstream titles is because it feels more fun and exciting discovering(or seeing something grow into) a gem of a series(at least in my eyes).

Dex-chan lover
The "problem" with that isn't necessarily because of lazy writers but more of amateur writers; the author of Time Stop Brave even outright mentioned that isekai is probably one of the easiest genres for new writers because of how readers are already used to "game mechanics" thus making exposition a lot less of a problem for anybody that wants to do a fantasy series. Most of the time mediocre and generic harem/isekai/romcom series when given enough time tend to grow their own roots and identity and actually become a decent to good series.

The largest part on why I tend to mainly read the generic and mediocre genres rather than go with the mainstream titles is because it feels more fun and exciting discovering(or seeing something grow into) a gem of a series(at least in my eyes).
Like you I'll give alot of series a chance although I'm not afraid to be vocal if its bad but I'll be vocal if an idea is great too. I just wish so many writers didn't rely on tropes for the characters, plot and world building. It'd make tihngs a little better although a trope can be used well odds are not.

I also don't wanna wait like 5-8 volumes before a series finds it's own roots cause that's alot of time wadding through mediocrity or worse to get to that lovely diamond and usually since they are so generic they only make it to vol3.

Dex-chan lover
I also don't wanna wait like 5-8 volumes before a series finds it's own roots cause that's alot of time wadding through mediocrity or worse to get to that lovely diamond and usually since they are so generic they only make it to vol3.
I'm still personally thinking if which is "better"/more tolerable:
a series that starts out as a mediocre copy paste and turned into somewhat decent
or
a series that starts out as something amazing and just fizzled until the end.

Dex-chan lover
I'm still personally thinking if which is "better"/more tolerable:
a series that starts out as a mediocre copy paste and turned into somewhat decent
or
a series that starts out as something amazing and just fizzled until the end.
Oooh thats a toughy... I'm not sure either both are aweful lol I guess though the 2nd option usually lasts longer so has a chance at redeeming itself? Cause the starting mediocre means it could get axed before it gets decent or just as its getting decent it's numbers are already too low.

Dex-chan lover
talk to more than one girl= harem, 10/10 logic

fyi source material axed so wouldnt expect any closure.

Dex-chan lover
Oooh thats a toughy... I'm not sure either both are aweful lol I guess though the 2nd option usually lasts longer so has a chance at redeeming itself? Cause the starting mediocre means it could get axed before it gets decent or just as its getting decent it's numbers are already too low.
But there are situations like in Rent a Girlfriend where it's just dragging and I don't really see it redeeming itself.

Dex-chan lover
But there are situations like in Rent a Girlfriend where it's just dragging and I don't really see it redeeming itself.
I couldn't read Rent-a-girlfriend, too much NTRness for me. That's defo a series stretched if only cause of sales. I feel like alot of romcoms would do better if they just didn't wheel spin and kept constant progression and lasted like 3-5 volumes and we'd all be happier.

Dex-chan lover
I couldn't read Rent-a-girlfriend, too much NTRness for me. That's defo a series stretched if only cause of sales. I feel like alot of romcoms would do better if they just didn't wheel spin and kept constant progression and lasted like 3-5 volumes and we'd all be happier.
Sadly it's all about the sales for the higher ups.

Dex-chan lover
What the hell does "Your little sister is throbbed to know that" mean? Please get an editor or proof reader.

Dex-chan lover
For a person who's a lone wolf by his own choice, since he doesn't want to bother with friends he has got nothing in common with, Nanamura certainly takes a lot of damage when someone calls him a loner. If he wants to be a loner and thus is a loner because that's his chosen path, then being called friendless ought to be like telling a rally driver that he/she must love fast cars. No shit. Yet somehow the rally driver in this series is hurt when someone tells him that fast cars must be his thing. Right.

And yeah, Nanamura certainly does have a problem if Hanamitsuji is there. He thought he could spend the time talking about light novels with Hoshigasaki. Light novels are his second most important interest in life, after his dear lone wolf chuuniness, yet now that extra person is present. Hanamitsuji is only there to mock him, so, yeah, it's a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread