Dou ka Ore wo Houtte Oitekure - Vol. 3 Ch. 14 - There Are Only So Many Solutions a Loner Can Think of, Right?

Is it really so bad that some people like to be alone?
If someone truly and genuinely wants to be alone, then more power to them I guess.

The problem is that humans are inherently social creatures. Meanwhile, a lot of "loners" delude themselves into thinking they're fine with being alone even though, deep down, they dislike not having friends/close family/lovers/etc. This likely stems from their previous sour experiences with social interactions, which lead them to pull a "fox and the grapes" situation--where they fool themselves into believing that their loneliness is voluntary, in order to not have to confront that problem.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah. I think the issue here is that the FMC is right in the sense that every human being will become sad if they're truly alone. And she is trying to "save" her saviour just as he had saved her. That's why I assume a lot of the people here in the comments hate on the MC as he doesn't seem to "get it". And he should "get it" because he already somewhat "gets it" but keeps reverting to his cringey loner behaviour.

But the MC is not in the wrong here either. Most of his class thinks he's a creep and he doesn't want to ruin anyone else's school life simply by them being associated with him. And as far as I can tell, the things both the class prez and the FMC force the MC to do is simply not to his liking. He's an awkward fellow with asocial issues so of course being thrown into a very extravert-like group activity will make things hard for him. How can he enjoy his time with his classmates/groupies if it's too tiring to act as a social butterfly when you aren't naturally one thus thwarting any enjoyment that you could've had?

Though the MC is still awkward as heck - there's no denying that. But so are most real people. Some have more social experience, others are better at hiding it. But every human has his own emotions and views and being forced to change his lifestyle is not the best approach. But that doesn't mean that the girls who are trying to help him are in the wrong either. It's that their way of helping is aimed more towards more extraverted people and not such introverts like our male MC.

What our MC needs is not to be on friendly terms with his whole class. What he needs is a few good friends. But (if I remember things correctly) the girls are too hell-bent on having him make a lot of new friends and many happy memories with everyone in class instead of, you know, just being friends with him and accept him for who he is. He would gradually open up to be less asocial and naturally surround himself with good friends he made himself. But as far as I can see they aren't content by simply being his friends, they also want to "fix" him.

I'm repeating myself, but the girls aren't in the wrong here for trying to "fix" the MC, nor the MC is wrong for remaining the way he is. The girls are trying to help him in what they believe to be the right way. And the MC is trying to protect the girls in what he believes to be the best way. Their world-views are just different.
Finally, someone with common sense, an objective view of the matter and also the ability to express their opinion properly.

Dex-chan lover
The FMC seems to be so concerned about the MC, and I think it's more than just her wanting to help out her savior or because she likes him. I get the feeling she actually from a bit further than just 3 years ahead,it showed her at his funeral and I get the feeling that it was a shit show where no one showed up and the family were devastated about both his loss, and how they let him wallow in his isolation - and I think FMC feels the same because she was such a socialite and never interacted with him.

Based on a few lines, I think she also became obsessed with him, but he was a man of mystery because he had no friends.

Dex-chan lover
Oregairu but in a worser plot :facepalm:
Yeah I can sense author is trying to get this MC to be the next Hachiman. Hilarious. First of all, Hachiman didn't have the luxury of travelling back in time. Despite his cynicism, he's still just a kid. But this MC has zero justifiable reason to act as stubborn and hard headed as he does especially since he knows where it will lead in the future, not to mention that as an adult, he alread has a fully developed brain. And yet, yeah, let's try to be the exact same person we were. I'm sure things are gonna turn out better, right? How does that even make a lick of sense?

There's really no point in discussing the direction this manga is heading into. Ever since the source material got discontinued. Fuck the publishers who still decided to make a manga adaptation of an axed series.

Dex-chan lover
I'm suddenly very happy the MC died at the start of the series and I hope he does again. Maybe if he gets groundhog day'd he'd eventually learn to stop being an ass.

So if anything is going to change it would have to come from Hanamitsuji, since he already gave up on living since before the regression and clearly she's the one that caused them both to go back in time (somehow, for some reason).

She's just not been honest with him about anything up to this point, so there's been no progress.
Wait what else is she supposed to do? She set up for them meeting weekly and checks in on him like daily through sms (reminds me that this guy leaves people on read and deserves death/s). She tries to set goals for him to make friends and consoles him when he makes a decision that ostracized him more in class and then encouraged the new person that wants to be friends with him because of that. She tried to set up a meeting one on one so he both wouldn't be alone and didn't have to worry about the class atmosphere and could enjoy the trip together. She's only berated the MC for being an ass and pointed out how he's a good person with admirable traits (like saving someone's life) when his head was stuck too far up his own ass. The only other thing I could think of is her straight up telling him she wants to date, but with the MC asmis there's no way he'd even register her feelings as real.

No. The problem is that he doesn't want to be alone. He literally only spends time in his internal monologue thinking about other people, obersving their fun, getting jealous, and then either downplaying their enjoyment or justifying his being a loner by saying it's enough. Then he goes a step further and pushes away anyone that tries to be a good friend to him or spend any time with him.

If the MC had wanted to be alone he wouldn't have gone on the trip or he would have ground some noise canceling headphones/earphones and walked away a long time ago. Instead he only leaves because he thinks he's ruining the atmosphere against the protest of yet another person who wants to help him have a good time with the BS reasoning he's hurting her social position (when they both know she's too popular and well liked for that to happen and her talking to the outcast wourld ealistically just make her look more like a good person). This is despite her saying her own enjoyment is having fun with everyone.

Wanting to be alone is fine (to an extent, humans are social creatures and after a certain points it's unhealthy (but even then I'd personally say it's that person's choice)), but you're going to poss people off if all you do is complain about being alone (which he doesn't do outwardly but unfortunately we get his internal monologue) and then you constantly push away anyone that tries to spend time with you.

Dex-chan lover
There's really no point in discussing the direction this manga is heading into. Ever since the source material got discontinued. Fuck the publishers who still decided to make a manga adaptation of an axed series.
Wwait what? Why? Who would do that? That's a massive red flag I wish I knew about. The only reason I'm so invested now is because at first I really liked the premise and characters, but I wouldn't have started or would have given up earlier if I knew it's source material got axed already (really that's two red flags).

Dex-chan lover
Yeah I can sense author is trying to get this MC to be the next Hachiman. Hilarious. First of all, Hachiman didn't have the luxury of travelling back in time. Despite his cynicism, he's still just a kid. But this MC has zero justifiable reason to act as stubborn and hard headed as he does especially since he knows where it will lead in the future, not to mention that as an adult, he alread has a fully developed brain. And yet, yeah, let's try to be the exact same person we were. I'm sure things are gonna turn out better, right? How does that even make a lick of sense?
Not trying to undermine or anything (I honestly completely agree), but this MC died third year in high school. Depending on his birthday he may not have even been 18, traditionally you aren't an adult in Japan until 20, and brain development generally doesn't complete until 25 (with more recent studies suggesting brain development is a life long process and never fully completes). All just facts I think interesting.

If only people can read the chapter title, it would kinda answers the crucial questions people had with him

Dex-chan lover
As someone who was a loner during most their school life, I can't sympathize with the MC any more. His actions and thoughts are why he is alone despite wanting friends. Past trauma, different culture, blah, blah, he just doesn't want to change because it's easier that way. He doesn't want to think about the girls who want to be friends because it's easier to say they pity him. He wants an easy way out of so much that I wonder why he's even still alive.

I had to change when I got a job and had to interact with others.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure why several posts think this chapter was nothing when so much characterization occurred. It was quite a bit. Yes, he repeated his stance toward loner-ism, but now we know he sees it as the LOGICAL thing, and that he can't come up with a better option. He's doing what he sees best, in a way that let's him both be sacrificial and lazy, so it's both bad and good. It's both easy and hard. To me, this gave some more detail to his stance, even if it didn't change it.

Now if you find that something you can empathize with is different. That said, a lot of people suffer when it's 'easy' to do so, because doing anything other than suffering seems insurmountable. Honestly, MC just needs to take some meds for his depression, roflmao.

Dex-chan lover
Bro I swear he says he's a lone wolf/loner at least 4 to 5 times each chapter lmao.

I don't think I can stand it anymore :notlikethis:

Dex-chan lover
Bro I swear he says he's a lone wolf/loner at least 4 to 5 times each chapter lmao.

I don't think I can stand it anymore :notlikethis:
Same man, I think would have been knocked out if I took one shot every time he said he's a loner at a page of this chapter

Contributor
Some people sure, but he stays alone because he’s scared of social interactions. He can’t deal with a group of people, afraid that he will be rejected, so he wont even try. He only keeps repeating that he likes to be alone to convince himself

Dex-chan lover
As someone who was a loner during most their school life, I can't sympathize with the MC any more. His actions and thoughts are why he is alone despite wanting friends. Past trauma, different culture, blah, blah, he just doesn't want to change because it's easier that way. He doesn't want to think about the girls who want to be friends because it's easier to say they pity him. He wants an easy way out of so much that I wonder why he's even still alive.

I had to change when I got a job and had to interact with others.
There's a larger hurdle when you are being actively alienated.. as someone who spent my entire 2nd year of highschool because of a misunderstanding I've had with the person that is pretty much the best friend of the entire class... you don't even have a choice of trying to mend the problem because everyone has a prejudice about you, I spent that entire year and the next entirely alone, was only until the 4th year(this was back when my country still used the old school system we had) when I actually broke free from the loner "curse" and that was because of a group of students that wasn't particulary friends with the person I've had a misunderstanding with.

Users who are viewing this thread