Efforts Never Betray - Ch. 31

Double-page supporter
Ah.... I really was surprised when the author gave us a happy ending

and then the rest of the chapter gives a surprised left hook that just stab you in the heart, well played author well played

It sucks it has to end that way

Thank you for translating this series, even though it made me cry so much!!!
Looking at the raws, I think there are some pages missing? Of
hansol ignoring him and kwon not being at school?

@zz2000 in the end he couldn't beat his mental health demons, and he committed suicide. The panels where he is upside down are meant to invoke the imagery of falling to one's death, implying he jumped without showing anything graphic

Dex-chan lover
Can't tell if the last panels are just in his head, or they actually happened.
Authors tend to do this a lot in literature (open-to-interpretation endings) and I hate it.

I shall just imagine that the very last panel returns to a scene where Hansol and Kown are still holding his hand.
Hansol: "Jae-kyung, is something wrong?"
Jae-Kyung: *Smiles* "I'll be okay."
-END-

Can someone enlight me he asked he's brother his birthday did the mom cheat on the father at that time I don't remember his birthday date

Power Uploader
The afterword says there was some editorial pressure to keep the ending heavy, while the author wanted to make it happy. Thus the ambiguous ending and the "OR NOT" between the two options.

Like @Nicromatic , I think this kind of thing is cheap, a way of the author to please everyone by giving them both endings. I saw that in a recent Korean movie, the director shoehorned both possible endings, too. This just shows me they don't have the guts to choose one ending that reflects how they feel about their own story, and bow to outside pressure instead of following through with it.

Since he did say in the afterword that he wanted the happy ending, I'll consider the ice cream run the official ending. It's more surprising, too, since I was so sure this would end in tragedy. After sorting out the matter with the father, and the three friends reuniting, and all the mental strength Jaekyung showed by refusing to let himself be dominated by the ants, reversing course in the last few pages and forcing a tragic ending doesn't cut it, anyway.

Group Leader
@Pyonyan

oomf yes i completely overlooked cuz that page doesn't have anything to add = no psd copy. I'll reupload. edit: uploaded.

@Spartanus

right, some parts are still confusing. I checked back previous chapters and there were no mentions of date whatsoever. but 6 years match the mother left him. and that's about it.

+ another confusion: the father mentioning hospital then go to work. i am confusion.

Group Leader
@Kendama

i also wanna believe the ice cream run the true ending. putting two endings, just seems.......... hmmmm.

also i want to know this movie you mentioned too 😀

Honestly, that other half feels like an "optional ending" for me, the moment our mc finally smiles feels like the true ending the author intended all along and the other half feels like some rushed sketch that is dark just for the sake of being dark.

Fed-Kun's army
Did his dad beat him or was it his imagination when he got the papers that had like 37 as a grade

Or maybe I read it wrong cause i am tired lol

Users who are viewing this thread