Elf-san wa Yaserarenai - Vol. 8 Ch. 44 - Appointment 44: Elf Soup

this was a nice chapter going back to the start of the manga

Dex-chan lover
I've gotten the impression that the exact ratios don't really matter as long you get minimum's right, no excess calories and enough micronutrients. But I wish Meth just focused on the booty since he clearly isn't a health expert.

Dex-chan lover
Well someone got necked.

Also eating such a high proportion of carbs is actually the leading cause of potbelly. Along with not exercising of course.

I've been hospitalized for two weeks now and the food here pisses me off more than anything else.
Large meals have rice, beans AND noodles, but only a couple tiny pieces of meat. Small meals have no protein at all, it's just bread, fruit, biscuits, cereal etc.
It's the precise opposite of how I normally eat, and made me realize why everyone's a fatass nowadays.

"Agriculture was a mistake." - Mesopotamians

Dex-chan lover
@erectorz I'm no nutritionist, but I am in culinary school. Nutrition was touched upon in the theory part of the class. Turns out that fried food, if done properly, isn't nearly as unhealthy as people make it out to be. That being said, it is classical French, so butter goes in everything. It may all be relative.

@Mah_Buddy_Keith my understanding is fried (deep fried) blanket adds 50% more to the calories as a minimum.

on that note, protein, while it IS technically 4 calories per gram, is satiating, so you end up eating less, and from there protein calories do not necessarily end up being calories... no easy way for me to explain, people who want to diet should honestly drink protein shakes, it should, as long as you have a mouthful (most snack foods 1 serving size) of food along with it, fill you up and make a few hours easy to deal with.

Dex-chan lover
@alidan My understanding was that fat and bulk are satiating, though fat only works once it hits the duodenum. Even before culinary school, it was half the plate with vegetables (not potatoes), a quarter with meat (4 ounces is the ideal portion, but people are gluttons), and a quarter with starch (can include potatoes).

The veg provides the bulk and most of the fibre, the meat the protein and fat, and the starch provides energy.

I can only speak from experience

I am capable of eating 3 cups uncooked rice and only stopping because it hurts, most of my meals till recently were balanced around quantity because that was the only way to stop me from being hungry. I did eat meat, but also in a relatively large quantity when I had it too.

so in trying different things I read protein/high protein diets help with weight loss, and i'm not talking about atkins or anything, its a reported side effect of protein shakes where it curbs hunger. for me, I could easily eat 2000 calories (and I have) and still been thinking of food and what I could eat. then I got some protein powder to see how it would effect me (its the cheapest way to get protein on its own, if I wasn't going for a calorie deficit, there are other methods/ways/foods) and some rice (I think at this point 1/2 a cup medium grain) and a shake later, i'm not thinking of food, and i'm not thinking of food for upwards 4 hours, and only getting genuinely hungry after 6-7. so with that knowledge, 'midnight snacks' became a mouthful of snack (generally the 1 serving/28 gram range, I measured it out of curiosity once) and a shake, this for me is about 300~ calories depending on snack food and shake, down from near full meal or half a bag of snack food (8-16 servings depending on bag size)

since then I have tried to keep a fairly high protein diet, or at least a 'high' protein meal in circulation.

right now its
1/2 cup jasmine rice with 3/4 cup water
italian seasoning 1tspn
salt 1/2 tspn
small bit of virgin olive oil (2-5 grams, I measured it)
100g slow cooked shredded chicken breast

and when I have some laying around, various vegetables, but just the above is a meal on its own and I think it comes in 500~ or so and is good for 4-6 hours

what gets annoying is the diets that tell people carbs are bad, they aren't, they just do very little for you especially if you are not active, or that fat is bad, which again, its not, its just not something you should eat in large quantities because it's calorically dense, if anything sugar is the bad one because it creates a craving and unless we eat enough to get sick, our body never really has an off switch for it, but even then understanding it is the key point. really wish schools taught up this instead of the useless crap they ended up teaching, good chance I wouldn't be needing to lose weight now.

@Mah_Buddy_Keith Just some snark at the guys who were trying to say that this chapter was pseudo science bs. Nothing in this chapter is egregiously wrong, just armchair experts annoy me ya know. Saying this manga doesn't give 100% factual dieting advice is like saying a battle manga is unrealistic people can't actually shoot fire balls. Most of the dieting advice from these chapters (which really there isn't that much) is fine, none of it off the top of my head will make you more unhealthy. Plus this manga is clearly about T n A, if you are in the comments seriously trying to bash the authors knowledge on diet and exercise I'll let you in on a secret, 95% of the people reading this don't fucking care about the dieting advice, they are here for the thiccness. Sorry for the rant

Users who are viewing this thread