Futari nara Doko e demo - Vol. 1 Ch. 1.1 - First time in Oarai

Dex-chan lover
All these arguments are missing the real question - why does she call herself Karen Romanov if she's a girl? Shouldn't it be Karen Romanova?
A common mistake with (most?) Slavic surnames and patronymics, heh. Also, Karen is quite unusual for a female name in Russia (male name Kare’n (of Armenian origin) is somewhat common, though, lol), Karina would've been more fitting.

Haha! Yeah, either the translator mistranslated the original manga, or the mangaka didn't understand the gendering of surnames in Russian.

(The Russian immigrants whom I know maintain that gendering.)
IIRC, on group's Discord it was said that they do not alter non-Japanese lines.

The funniest part of the chapter was that on the stairs she said not "strashno" - [I'm] scared, but "strasnyi" - [He's] scary. It got me confused for a minute lmao
Technically, she could be referring to "descent" ("strashniy spusk"), but, yeah, just an adverb "strashno" (literally, "scary"), would've been better.

Dex-chan lover
Along with all the Russian mistranslations mentioned above (fucking kraccho lmao) I'd add that when she speaks about how tasty the meal is, what she says actually translates to something like "it really is tasty", like she expected it to suck. And, of course, the classic random capitalisation of letters turning блин into БЛиН on page 14.

Is there a single manga that doesn't fuck up its russian? Hell, I'd take a light novel.

Dex-chan lover
If you have a nickel for every white hair Russian girl you know from any series, how much would you have any what can you afford?

It's amazing everyone is too busy arguing about Russia vs. Ukraine when the manga is probably AI generated. Why is everybody's ears all jacked up? And their hands look weird

Dex-chan lover
WHAT THE HELL IS SHE HOLDING IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT PANEL OF PAGE 22 ?? 2 LEEKS ?? IS SHE MIKU @@ OR IS SHE HOLDING CHOPSTICKS BUT THE ANGLE IS SO BADLY DRAWN :>

Okay so she is into Japan, anime, and speaks some Japanese... but does not know how chopsticks work? Dude I swear, some people act like using chopsticks is some divine art.

Dex-chan lover
I’m reminded of my time abroad, and seemingly how rude everyone appeared to be.

In reality, despite Americans being notoriously obtuse, foreigners often don’t have the semi-scripted manners and hospitality that’s expected of most Americans. A lot more use “please” and “thank you”, a lot more “how are you?” in greetings. Waving or even greeting strangers in some places. Excusing yourself when bumping into people (unless you’re in a very packed metropolis). In reality it ain’t rudeness when foreigners don’t do that, or speak more straightforwardly. Can even get a little enchanting…

Japanese culture is in the same boat as American culture in this regard lol

Dex-chan lover
Ooo~ I stumbled upon a new romance comedy manga (。・∀・)❤️✨
Karen-chan looks beautiful and cute but what we see that her stamina is really low, she maybe not used to go outside (NEET maybe?) anyway, this going into my "Reading" list ✨

Dex-chan lover
It's amazing everyone is too busy arguing about Russia vs. Ukraine when the manga is probably AI generated. Why is everybody's ears all jacked up? And their hands look weird
It would explain why the symetry is inexistant.

Dex-chan lover
Almost certainly Russian; the Japanese have a thing for Russian girls. But Ukrainian is very similar.
Nah, Ukrainian is very different and it's hard to understand if you only know russian, unless it's surjik.

Belarusian language is more similar to russian.
Illustrating how similar Ukrainian is to Russian, everything in this first chapter that made sense as Russian also made sense as Ukrainian.
Only because most Ukrainians know and speak russian.

If she'd speak in ukrainian, russians wouldn't understand the shit.

Also it should be "Kruto", not "kracho".
No, I wasn't referring to how a Ukrainian would speak or write in Russian; one can translate the passages as Ukrainian.

If someone spoke Cantonese where Mandarin Chinese prevailed, most of the listeners would at best struggle to understand. None-the-less, those two languages are closely related and written very similarly.

Cursory research corroborates @hiddentheory's assertion. I don't know why nobody tried citing anything.

Cantonese and Mandarin are also dramatically different languages-- I remember learning that one in linguistics. They're both able to be written using Simplified Chinese, yes, but the differences are apparent even when written. It's difficult to consider them "dialects" of Chinese, even.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread