Heterogenia Linguistico - Vol. 5 Ch. 44 - Learn or Die

Dex-chan lover
Ohhh I truly love what this communication implies in terms of like. How vast the gulf of understanding would be! From the surface, how could you notice the motion between the bubbles...? To a fish, how could they notice the way you're making sound, or your inability to see what they're doing correctly....?

I wonder if, when someone drowns, the sea-people dont also go 'oh well' and nibble on the corpse, without any animosity whatsoever.

Dex-chan lover
I knew he was gonna miss something bc there's no way the bubbles would look the same at the surface as they do underwater. But I did not think of the possibility they they "read" in 3D! That's honestly so cool, a unique way to show underwater communication. This gives so many possibilities

Dex-chan lover
I'm just writing this to the translator because I really like discussing language.

Yes, kana to represent sounds and kanji to represent "pain". But you could also still compare it to English.

In English, you have letters for sounds, on a similar level as kana for syllables in Japanese. Then there are also Arabic numerals in English. I can write 9 or 10 or 52. I could also write nine or ten or fifty-two. There's also the ampersand, &, used to represent the word "and", as well as other examples that I can't recall off-hand.

Anyways, thank you for the translation.

Group Leader
I'm just writing this to the translator because I really like discussing language.

Yes, kana to represent sounds and kanji to represent "pain". But you could also still compare it to English.

In English, you have letters for sounds, on a similar level as kana for syllables in Japanese. Then there are also Arabic numerals in English. I can write 9 or 10 or 52. I could also write nine or ten or fifty-two. There's also the ampersand, &, used to represent the word "and", as well as other examples that I can't recall off-hand.

Anyways, thank you for the translation.
& is a fancy ligature for et, it's just silly looking latin

Dex-chan lover
Describing kana and and kanji as letters is a bit flawed, especially in the notes section of of a manga about linguistics and semiotics. I know it was meant to be a light hearted throw away comment but kana and kanji are pretty explicitly not letters.
Ties really nicely into this chapter as the contrast between a letter (a consonant or vowel) , kana (a sound comprised of consonants and/or vowels) and kanji (possibly multiple sounds with multiple readings and meanings depending on context and placement). All are rich with significance and grow in meaning and complexity when orderly written on a page. That complexity is then awed in the face of a 3 dimensional writing comprised of of ever shifting bubbles in the unstable medium of water.
I'm just a amateur student and this mangaka constantly floors me with his novel and thoughtful insights into the ways we communicate. Feel like reading some of Samuel R. Delaney 's more insightful use of semiotics.

Dex-chan lover
Always love when Susuki get's all worried for him she starts licking his face, that's really adorable.

Man, what a crazy way of communication. All these various methods really highlight how limited in thinking a lot of fantasy and sci-fi stuff tend to be. When your medium or means is limited, you really gotta get creative and use what you've got. Heat and rythym, colors and patterns, limb movements, or hell just blowing bubbles in an entirely 3-dimensinoal space. I love this stuff.

Group Leader
Describing kana and and kanji as letters is a bit flawed, especially in the notes section of of a manga about linguistics and semiotics. I know it was meant to be a light hearted throw away comment but kana and kanji are pretty explicitly not letters.
Ties really nicely into this chapter as the contrast between a letter (a consonant or vowel) , kana (a sound comprised of consonants and/or vowels) and kanji (possibly multiple sounds with multiple readings and meanings depending on context and placement). All are rich with significance and grow in meaning and complexity when orderly written on a page. That complexity is then awed in the face of a 3 dimensional writing comprised of of ever shifting bubbles in the unstable medium of water.
I'm just a amateur student and this mangaka constantly floors me with his novel and thoughtful insights into the ways we communicate. Feel like reading some of Samuel R. Delaney 's more insightful use of semiotics.
I felt using the word "character" would cause confusion, most people don't associate that word with orthography

Dex-chan lover
& is a fancy ligature for et, it's just silly looking latin
It's still a logogram when written in modern English because it's pronounced "and", not pronounced "et" when read aloud.

I've read another example. From Wikipedia, Logogram

A peculiar system of logograms developed within the Pahlavi scripts (developed from the Aramaic abjad) used to write Middle Persian during much of the Sassanid period; the logograms were composed of letters that spelled out the word in Aramaic but were pronounced as in Persian (for instance, the combination m-l-k would be pronounced "shah"). These logograms, called hozwārishn (a form of heterograms), were dispensed with altogether after the Arab conquest of Persia and the adoption of a variant of the Arabic alphabet.

In fact, I've also read other articles that discussed how contemporary English is doing basically the same thing. I'll use the ghoti/fish example because it's kind of on-point here. In certain words, "gh" is pronounced as "f", like in "laugh", or pronounce "o" as "i" as in "women", etc., etc. Viewers here may or may not be familiar with the ghoti example. However, my point is that you can have a word completely and totally acceptable in English composed of English letters that has absolutely no relation to how English letters are "typically" pronounced, as in the case of "ghoti" (I know it's not considered proper English; I just can't think of a better example).

I don't remember the original article I read that point in, but hopefully what I wrote makes sense.

Dex-chan lover
I knew he was gonna miss something bc there's no way the bubbles would look the same at the surface as they do underwater. But I did not think of the possibility they they "read" in 3D! That's honestly so cool, a unique way to show underwater communication. This gives so many possibilities
so many ways of it being a pain in the ass

Dex-chan lover
Man, no wonder no nobody talks to them, you literally need to be a long time under water to understand their language, demi-human have better things to do, through i wonder if the krakens can communicate with them, it would make sense

Users who are viewing this thread