Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 2-bu 「Hon no Tamenara Miko ni Naru!」 - Vol. 2 Ch. 5 - Gil's Work

Dex-chan lover
wait....

giving gifts and compliments to earn people's favor? whuuuu?

Dex-chan lover
@Mojo

Will to the Gods = Embezzlement of high ranking Priest???/Bribes
Offering of the Gods = Bribes
Water of the Gods = boozes and all alcohol
Love of the Gods = Prostitute fees

What do you think?

Will OF the gods: no clue. Sounds like donations but as an expense so maybe it is bribes.
Offerings FOR the gods: This might be spoiler. I forget if they touched this yet.
They refer to distribution of food as either will of the gods or offerings.
Water FOR the gods: definitely booze.
Love of the gods: It does sound suspiciously like hookers, but I'm not convinced it is. Prostitution is an occupation that could easily be taken by commoners and it is not something that only nobles could afford or have. And yet Main has not mentioned any such individuals or establishments, despite roaming all over the commoner's district. I doubt prostitution is common. According to Delia they have grey robed priestesses trained/selected for this anyway, so why spend money?

Double-page supporter
@Mitsu13 Because she is a child. No matter how smart she is it's awkward to have to explain adult things to a small child. Would you be comfortable explaining prostitution to a 5 year old who doesn't even know what sex is? It's something like that. Explaining the dirty inner workings of the church and where all the money is really going to a child who was an outsider just days ago, awkward.

Real world church were nasty, but this one is even worse!
I still don't get why they even have a religion if the commoners seem to mostly not even know anything besides the baptism. The main reason for a state religion is to control the people with the beliefs, but it seems that this one is almost exclusive to the nobles?

Dex-chan lover
@CraniumAmbiguity: I feel like it'd make more sense as income rather than expenditure sheet.

Mainly
Because of Delia saying Myne won't be able to 'offer flowers' to her guests without female attendants

And she tried to show example by playing cute to Benno, which he immediately reject and mention he's not like those other men.
So clearly it's something of an open secret that the temple offer 'flowers'

Not to mention
the blue priests are nobles from the view of commoners so if anything it's the commoners who try to earn their favors, not the opposite way
(from the noble society they don't count as 'real' nobles because they haven't gone through the school)

@mickhail: A rather major spoiler of the background if you want to know
The whole country was made by the Gods as safe haven for people with magic power, i.e. the nobles in current time.

In the past the religion IS the core, even influencing the ruler, because through worship the nobles can gain blessings from the Gods which make their magic more powerful, and the most powerful of nobles is the one ruling as the "king" from the first temple and the land split into smaller sections for various Lords (who then split their domains into smaller areas for various smaller nobles)
(The title isn't "king" but I'll just use king for the sake of simplicity)

Then due to certain incident and over long period of time, the importance of the temple was forgotten and the old traditions lost.

The tl;dr is that traditionally you get a magic item as proof you've earned qualification for kingship, and the next king is chosen among the people who has this item.
Think of the magic circuit at the center of the country as a computer an the magic item is tablet for accessing various functions of it.

Then one queen who want her son to inherit the kingship, but the son wasn't strong enough to earn the item himself, make a magic tool that copy the important functions of the item and give her to her son, allowing him to inherit the title.

Then said son passed it down, etc etc. Eventually people forgot how to actually EARN said magic item.
So once it's lost in the recent coup....well, it's going downhill even if slowly.

And yes Myne will ends up embroiled in those stuffs, more often than not caused by her desire for books.
(seriously, her accidentally starting the path towards that magic item was because she just wanted to enter a SECRET LIBRARY.......)

I’m not gonna cry, I’m not gonna cry, I’m not going to cry....

Dex-chan lover
Oh. Oh I am so emo right now.

On a happier note, I think I've fallen in love with Gil, who is now my son.

Dex-chan lover
It felt so short! But it was nearly 30 pages...! Argh!

Dex-chan lover
One is never wrong to doubt any religious institution. They are always, invariable, evil in their core.

I'm still wondering what the former "tenant" did that no one wants to talk about it.

A few LN details ahead:

In the LN they are a little more detailed. First, they said that the former tentant was a blue shrine maiden. Then, when Myne asked Fran why such expensive furniture was left behind he just said "because that shrine maiden was who she was" and didn't give any more details.
Did that blue shrine maiden raped boys or something?

@RedGhost
Didn't the LN hint that the previous tenant left because she got pregnant? There's a lot of grooming going on at the temple. I'm not looking forward to Myne finding the other young orphans.

@Perim
Now that you mention it it may be that. I didn't pay enough attention on those details so I might re-read Part 2 Vol 1 just to make sure. So far, things started to get better for them on Part 2 Vol 2 (well I've just read half of the book so far though)

@CraniumAmbiguity @WhimsiCat What I remember from the light novel:
Brothels aren't mentioned and the temple doesn't employ prostitutes. Nobles hand pick the pretty girls from the orphanage to become grey robed priestesses at around age 7 and groom them; like Delia. Once they're either bored or she becomes pregnant, he discards her and she goes to another dorm (I forgot if they say it's the grey robed girls' dorm). The child ends up in the orphanage that Myne becomes chairman of. I think Delia mentions she's one of these children; with a blue robed father and grey robed mother. The orphanage is currently not in a good state and the children are left to wallow in their own filth until they're old enough to become grey robed priests; ever since the previous chairman left. Both Gil and Delia were "raised" in the orphanage during its decline.

Dex-chan lover
@Perim: I read the WN (finished it and the 'sequel')
To be precise the orphanage's decline is actually tied to the drop in amount of nobles from the coup, many blue priests who were previously deemed too weak were recalled home or to the central temple because desperate measures, but these are basically the higher end of the blue priests before leaving only the even weaker ones around (except Ferdinand, he's a special case)

Gil left just before it got really bad, but Delia was still there when it gets REAL bad, and is rather traumatized over it (and the situation right now is even worse)

Power Uploader
The Anime really flubbed the dramatic impact of the scenes where the servants get clothes and where Gil is genuinely praised by someone for probably the first time in his life. Maine treats them both like humans which seems to be far from the norm.

Man, that certainly must hit them deep. Imagine having to share everything and finally receive a gift for the first time. Let alone being honestly praised for the work you had done. I assume most nobles just treat it as a matter of fact that they do work so praise must be rare. Also would explain Frans distraught when he was assigned to mine since he couldn't understand his maters intention.

Users who are viewing this thread