I Became the Ugly Lady

"OG Irene's fashion sense is horrible, too much frills and ribbon" *proceeds to wear dress with frills and ribbons*

I already love Irene please don't let her be two-faced

@Amimikamoon why wouldn't it be "beautiful"? the anatomy's correct, there're no sharp lines, the coloring is smooth, and the shadowing is soft. other than the faces having a distinct style, the eye size and spacing between when they're facing in front is not that bad. Objectively speaking, the art style's fucking pretty

Dex-chan lover
@ashel The anatomy is amateur, the posing is stiff, they have dead frog faces, the clothes are incredibly overdrawn (too many wrinkles in nonsensical places- an amateur mistake, i know what to look out for because I used to do it) and the shading is inconsistent as fuck. In the panel with Sylvia's dad, his fur looks like someone going apeshit with the airbrush and smear tools. This may come as a shock to you, but sometimes, overcolouring and overdetailing something can make it look worse. The way this person draws reeks of an amateur artist who assumes that since their drawings are more "stylized" they don't need to use references or look at how things work in real life and draw from there- instead they just draw from their mind, giving their art a distinctly uncanny look to it. One of the first things you learn in art school is to draw from real life, because it's been shown time and time again that the best way to improve your art- even if you don't draw realistic-looking characters! is to look at real life, learn from real life, learn how things work and move and look, and then you can start to break the rules once you've actually LEARNED them.
I assume this person either slept through that lesson in art school, or perhaps did not attend at all.

TL;DR this artstyle is riddled with amateur mistakes and the artist is obviously using CSP's stock detail patterns to compensate for their trash anatomy and colouring

I think they are struggling in making her a strong FL. like it doesnt make sense. She said she’s terminally ill. Like living most of her days in the hospital. And then suddenly after transmigration she became strong-willed person. And just after a month in that world she became strong and supper accustomed to that place. It really doesnt make sense. Like she knows a lot of things despite not living in the real world (see said she havent done a lot of things since she’s terminally ill) Like how?

@Amimikamoon As an artist myself it's obvious that the illustrator isn't an amateur. But they're definitely not the most professional. Personally I like the face's, I think It's more of a preference based style rather than general. Just by looking at the coloring you can tell that the illustrator has investing a lot of time trying to get the colors right. And compared to what you call "trash coloring" I actually really like. I think the coloring is really pleasant to the eyes. I do agree that the poses are awkward and could use some work but I mean I think it's fine personally. It takes a crap ton of time probably even reaching this illustrator's level, even if they aren't the Van Gogh of this decade. The way your critiquing this artist is pretty degrading tbh.

sno

So, the moral if the story if you are ugly and people treat you bad... be pretty, know the future, and magic.

@Amimikamoon okay. now I know u lying. I checked again to see if I was wrong but if you think that the anatomy in here is amateur then you've probably been reading too much of the same art style.and for the shading. Damn. The colorist have the tendency to put the light on the left whenever MC is in front view, the direction of light changes accordingly to the situation, often removed for accentuating character expression and faces, or added for dramatic effect. The lighting and shading is thought out. It's pretty fuckin consistent so idwtf ure saying. I get that the movements are stiff and the details are not conveyed better but they don't get paid to make it museum worthy. Don't even get me started on the "frog-like faces" it's called art style, if you can't respect it then stop spouting bullshlt.

I'm convinced you're one of those people who thinks Van Gogh's art is beautiful but base another's artistic value on the standards of hyperrealism.

edit: I consulted someone I know who's an ARTIST as well for outside opinion, they said there was nothing amateur about this and that they like it

I just came here to check out the art based on the comments, but I think it’s really pretty, just different! It’s only 1 or 2 ppl here that feel otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
@ashel
Lol dude I can appreciate when art is more stylistic, in fact I personally don't like "realistic" art and my fav artists draw incredibly stylized work, but I can tell when someone is making amateur mistakes because I've made those same mistakes myself in the past. Like I said, to improve an artstyle- even more cartoonish artstyle- you have to learn from reality. You can't just read "how to draw manga" books and learn to draw people entirely from there. That's how this artist feels to me- they learned everything from how-to-draw books and deviantart tutorials, and as a result their art has this uncanny look to it. You have to learn the basics before you start building on them, and relying solely on mental images and how you "think" something should look will result in something that looks a lot worse than if you'd used references. This as one of the first things I learned when I started taking art classes.
When I say "draw from reality" I mean "take inspiration from it and know how it works" not "draw everything super realistically".

@Amimikamoon Yeah go lecture us on real-life references and stylized shit you've been saying but not a single objective remark was found, all this time I was talking about the art being objectively pretty and tried to counter your baseless criticism about the art being trash.
I think you forgot about the original comment that made me react in the first place. You sounded as if it's the worst art you've come across yet now you only say it's "amateur" stop changing the narrative

I don't know if you are as good as what you think you are but you should just stop. I could talk to you the whole day about the lines, color scheme, anatomy, shading, and perspective and you'd still talk to me about art lessons and give definitions of what's amateur

So after one month of mana breathing suddenly she can kick ass too? Honestly I'm just more annoyed at the title than anything right now. 3 chapters in she becomes skinny and pretty from mana breathing, next chapter every servant changed opinions on her, she's smart, can talk snappy (which shocks everyone because the original character isn't like that), loses weight and is beautiful, and now she can fight... Yeah this really seems like mary sue material, she's really overpowered imo. She claims in her thoughts to have been training all the time, but we see none of that so it's all just random plot device for her to look good and save a potential love interest.

Some stuff is ok, but all those characteristics with very little time for development doesn't give me room to care all that much for the characters or the MC. The plot is moving way too fast for me and there's all these things that she could suddenly do. Next thing we know, there's going to be an accounting issue or something and she'll know the answers, or something.

The author really should've named this something else because there is no "Ugly Lady" anymore. If anyone wants a good isekai story with a chubby MC who works hard to lose her weight and use her intelligence, I highly recommend "I'll save this damn family."

Fed-Kun's army
@Kuroku2 facts go off

listen i have nothing against casual easy plot kinda manhwas. that's fine. but im having a hard time taking this manhwa seriously when its trying to show off this powerful villainess when in reality the plot just doesn't make sense and she >>isn't<< powerful. her communication and words can be applaudable but at the end of the day she hasn't really done anything extraordinary rather than act like idk a noblelady speaking back?? the only difference is she somehow recovered all of her rep and ppl see her as a noblelady bc shes pretty now
this made me think about "The Villainess Reverses the Hourglass" because in that manhwa, regardless of how pretty the mc is she still struggles with reviving her reputation BIG TIME which makes sense and is coherent compared to this

@Amimikamoon love it when pretentious mfers who arent even professionals or in the industry at all comment on manhwa artists art on a manga site 😂😂 lich rally never see actual professionals or art college students act up like this like mbad

Fed-Kun's army
@kuroku2 thanks for reccomending a good webtoon!

glad I skipped that. Mary Sues main characters are annoying tbh.

you don't need to be beautiful to be powerful

I thought this was just a generic novel and only stayed for the art, fast change and elemental powers changed my mind.

Wow, the pacing is faster than Sonic. She was breathing for a little and then suddenly lost her weight and became pretty? And after a month disarmed knight and beat a thug? I guess by chapter 10 she will defeat demon lord or whatever

ngl i keep laughing because their faces are so SMOL. BUT I do love the premise so I will stick around to see the story progress!

Users who are viewing this thread