I Reincarnated as a White Pig Noble's Daughter from a Shoujo Manga

Imagine being at 40kg around 14 years old. Jesus. Even if you're quite short, thats immensely normal.

white pig? hmmm sounds pretty racist. like something asian people say to the whites because they are mad about their women not liking their small PP

Thank you for scanlating this! I really hope it gets updated and goes off hiatus in Japan.

However! The fatphobia within this manga 🙃Loordddd. You try to ignore it, but it is RIGHT in your face🤢. A child of 14 should not be dieting to that extent nor should they be mocked or constantly called & self refer to themselves as 'Fatty' ☹

This manga could be so incredibly triggering for people with disordered eating tendencies and body dysmorphia.

The message of this manga is literally: if you lose weight you'll be happier and treated better. Which is major BS💩

Why am I reading it then? Cos I hoped this message would be dealt with. That the MC realised her self-worth wasn't so dependent on her weight, but nope 😪

Please be healthy readers! Don't starve yourself. Don't focus on other people's negative comments and if someone can't love you as you are then tell them go f$$k themselves 😘 ...as the MC should've done from the beginning 🤓

@Merrilee3s while i agree with that, it is prudent to note that she is doing it because of the specific circumstances she finds herself in, suddenly being thrust into the body of this chubby former villain girl as someone who was ostensibly not, so her body image is already an issue. Not only that, its in a medieval era where nobles can and do care about appearances. Its not that "Fat is bad" but that "Being fat is not what the character inhabiting the body wants, and it can and will actively cause her problems in the setting she's in".

Having a positive body image is great, and shouldn't be looked down on, but it IS prudent to remember that she's a japanese woman with foreknowledge of the stories events and is using weight loss as a method to deal with those problems, among other's. Far from body dysmorphia, she's in an entirely foreign body wholesale. Plus, Starving? you're being a little melodramatic. She's a pampered little noble girl, there's no "Starving" involved. She's practicing, at best, mild self restraint.

@Marrilee3s because @xsomalx has already responded to the other half of your message that i don't agree with in such a clear manner, i will only tackle the other part.
You said that the message the manga left was "if you are skinnier you'll be happier and people will treat you better" yet, you fail to notice that the fact that the author gave a lot of time between Britney starting her weight loss journey and ending it was not only to make it seem more realistic, but to make the point that the people around her are not treating her better because she is thinner. They like her more because she acted kinder, she seemed more mature, and they realised she was surprisingly clever and brave! The little prince fell in love with Britney while she was still a little chubby, and her cousin started to like her while she was only starting to put up weight.

So no, she was not better because she "starved", she was better because she acted better. She is after all, avoiding being the follower of a villain 😂
Her worth was clear from the start. We just had to wait for the characters to catch up!

I personally prefer the kind of body positive when we all try to be the healthiest we can be just because we really respect our bodies. It's not a matter of image, but a matter of feeling better.
Stay healthy! Eat less sweets, drink water, and do 30 minutes of exercise daily (even though it's hard, i know.)
And off course, don't forget to be kind towards yourself and the people around you! 💕

Ugh, On hiatus. Here we go again.

(Scanslators page saying so)
https://mangadex.org/chapter/805095/1

@xsomalx You can definitely be starving regardless of wealth or circumstance.

Overwhelmingly the culture of 'fastshaming' can be found in a number of communities, periods in histories and 99% focused on womxn. A story like this suggests either implicitly or explicitly that being slim wins favour and advances one's life. That's the literal core theme within the story. Now one could attribute this simply to discomfort of being in another body, but this discomfort towards the time period is quite quickly dismissed. Rather what does the mangaka focus on fat-shaming tropes i.e. fat people smell; fat people are lazy; fat people don't exercise etc.

To suggest that fat being 'bad' and fat being seen as 'wrong' in the situation she's in are two different things almost beggars belief. We literally have continuous montages of her working out and her and others making self-hating comments about her weight.

I think we can agree to disagree about her practising 'mild, self restraint' because I vehemently disagree. Someone with or on the precipice of disordered eating would not see this as self restraint, they'd read it as an extreme dieting guidebook.

@WhiteTrash This trope that people suddenly start treating people better because the person who is slimmer became 'better' is another trope used to fatshame and excuse meanness towards people who are bigger. There are literal scenes where the first thing the 2nd and first ML is not her changed demeanour it's her weight. followed by her change in manner.

You can 'Eat less sweets, drink water, and do 30 minutes of exercise daily' and still not be slim. And that's the problem- that assumption that a bigger person isn't literally doing all those things just because they don't look like what a lot of societies assume is the look of someone 'healthy'. Being thin does not mean healthy. True body positivity is recognising that and celebrating all bodytypes not just one.

Moreover to suggest that the mangaka isn't using the aforementioned trope i.e. people suddenly start treating people better because the person who is slimmer became 'better' as a device is ludicrous. Why not just have her as a nicer character? No extreme weightloss methods needed? Just at peace with herself and those around? Because the story needs the weightloss element. It's the core facet of the story.

Am I bashing the mangaka? No. The mangaka is a person of their environment, audience and life experiences. East Asia is a region which definitely has a 'thin is the ONLY beautiful' issue. Fatshaming is rampant. Womxn are constantly pressured to fit into societal ideals, weight just being one of them.

I'm just got tired. I've been reading manga for years and these storylines aren't new. The isekai is a bit newer but the idea of someone suddenly becoming happier because of weightloss? Nope. Not new. It's the most prevalent trope in fiction around and it's continuing. What's worse is that we internalise it and then defend such tropes as being done 'right' or being examples of 'self-restraint' 🙄

@MerriLee3s

The thing is, i never said that doing that would make you thinner. We are not made equal, so my healthy may not be your healthy, and that's okey. Depending on a list of things, a professional can accurately tell you what your ideal weight should be. Of course, a doctor will not tell a patient with iron deficiency to "run 30 minutes daily, eat only veggies and stay thin!" that's not reasonable.
I explicitly said it's not about looks, it's about feeling better, and it's scientifically proven that doing those things I mentioned have a lot of health benefits as long as you keep those within reason for your circumstances.
I am all about supporting different kinds of beauty, yet, i'm not all about supporting non healthy lifestyles. I have never in my life met someone obese who follows an exemplary healthy lifestyle. There's a big difference between someone who has some baby fat, someone with stretch marks, someone who may not be conventionally attractive or even someone big-boned (as some people call it) and an obese person. I can tell you how borderline-obesity looks like, and how it can affect you. It's not good. It's not pretty. There's no positivity there. I don't even wanna talk about obesity.

If in context, Britney was not comfortable being overweight, and she wanted to change that, she had the rights to do it. It's a core aspect of the story and obviously intentionally so. It signifies a big change, something very noticeable for the characters.

I do agree with you on asian beauty standards. They seem ridiculous to me as an outsider, yet i do not feel like i'm informed enough to talk bluntly about it. (I also share the wish for a sweet story that's less of a makeover story of sorts and more of a coming of age)

I just have to agree to disagree with you here:
"The isekai is a bit newer but the idea of someone suddenly becoming happier because of weightloss? Nope. Not new. It's the most prevalent trope in fiction around and it's continuing. What's worse is that we internalise it and then defend such tropes as being done 'right' or being examples of 'self-restraint' 🙄"
It is an ugly trope. I don't think It could ever be "Done right" because you will never be happier just because you lost weight, that's just putting on rose colored glasses. But! I don't think every story about weight loss is about that.
Losing weight can represent you taking over control over your body once again even when you thought you lost it completely. Losing weight should not be the change that makes you happier, losing weight should be the result of said change. You should be content with who you are even before starting a weight loss journey.
I don't think that part was done specifically right here, but i have to be fair, this is an isekai, and we are not talking about a single girl and her body, we are talking about a fricking body swap 😂😂
Rn, if you swapped my body with Britney's, i would be depressed as hell! And i would probably try to change those bad habits that the old body had. I think a bit of self-restraint would be envolved, as I'm a big fan of sweets which are abundant in there, and i think part of taking care of oneself envolves not going overboard with, in this case, food.

@MerriLee3s Yeah, lets just forget the fact that her eating habits were so unhealthy she was sleep eating. The "Character" britney's habits were ones that outright lead to a disorder when attempting to correct them. In any situation, that is not healthy. Second, the majority of her diet change wasn't anything big, it was "Smaller portions with more vegetables". There is no "Starving herself". And as for her exercise, that was also well within reason for a young girl to be able to do. For the record, the girl clearly had poor hygeine anyways because britney also initially mentions bad acne and BO, which she attempted to correct as well via soaps and shampoo's.

Nothing she did was in any way out of the norm or even unreasonable, by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that she showed progress with such a simple change goes to show just how outright unhealthy "Character" britney's habits were. In an era that probably lacks real medicine, being more than twice the average weight of children her age is incredibly unhealthy, because being that far overweight can cause complications for literally anyone, let alone a 12 year old girl just hitting her developmental stage. Like, she can't just go to the doc and get some pills for her incredibly high cholesterol, she's got to actually just deal with it. Fat being a healthy body image only works in that being fat won't shorten your lifespan, like in modern day society with medicines to help regulate the problems accompanying it.

Seriously, how DARE this girl try to be healthy. But above all, and this is the most important thing, you went into this manga that from the outset gives a clear character goal for the MC to get to and just assumed it would pander to a recent and, for japan, foreign mindset that simply does not make sense at all to them. Like White said, asian beauty standards can be damn strict, for sure, but britney isn't exactly getting plastic surgery or lipo to deal with her newly gained categorically obese body, instead she just decided to eat better and exercise some. What exactly were you expecting?

@MerriLee3s Lmao eat your salad you fat fuck. Try to blame it on your "genetic" next time.
I'm tired of your excuse. Of course if you just "eat less sweet. Drink more water and exercise for 30 mins" you won't get slimmer at all. Try cutting your calories by half. Go to the gym and working out for 2 hours a day and don't touch sweet at all. That's how you get slim you fat fuck. Inb4 you say there's someone who can't go to the gym cause fat shaming. Well just try a stationary bycicle holy fuck.
You get fat on your own. It's your responsibility to stay healthy. I don't like to pay taxes just to look after you fat fuck.

And the fatshaming begins @metalslime. You literally know nothing about me. Not my weight. My activities. My lifestyle. Or how much or little I eat.

All you've done is harass me after I commented arguing for more inclusivity and an end to fatshaming... so to counter that you fatshamed? Wow.... Original... Very.

Where do I start?

1) You have no idea which country I reside in so how do your taxes contribute to my welfare?

2) If you're old enough to pay taxes, then you're old enough to discuss things in a mature and polite manner.

3) If you think losing weight or maintaining weight is simply about eating salad then obesity wouldn't be on the increase and there wouldn't be anyone considered 'over weight' in the majority of the world lol.

I could go on, but I feel it'd be lost on you.

Enjoy your manga and I'll enjoy mine 😌

@xsomalx The last of your argument is that I went into this manga assuming the mangaka would 'pander' to a foreign audience. The desire for inclusivity isn't one that's unique to the Europe or North America, it is one that is being fought by women and non-binary people in particular worldwide. I went into this manga hoping to see this reflected, and was disappointed by the lack of change. I think my answer previously expressed my reasoning and understanding of a specific worldview by the mangaka.

But that's my point @xsomalx by the mangaka suggesting that the previous Britney didn't exercise, had acne and personal hygiene issues is furthering a negative stereotype of people who are bigger. That they are lazy and that by losing weight they're instinctively 'better'. It's a technique that contributes to negative beliefs of people who are bigger. It's deliberate. It's not challenged or given any real depth in the initial chapters... And that's an issue. When you create something, particularly something that younger readers will engage with you can't have such a black & white stereotyping. To be honest it's lazy and contributes to people's implicit bias and worldview of fat people.

Also to suggest that just by having smaller portions and exercising a few minutes a day that everyone will be thinner and ergo healthier is so simplistic it's concerning. It's. Not. That. Easy. Beliefs like this are literally at the core of fatshaming. This inherent belief and often used argument that if a person just tries that little more then all of their issues will instinctively right themselves.

We live in a society greatly still united by the inherent belief that if a girl or woman (and it often primarily effects womxn) is thin they are better, they are worthier of praise and are to be considered attractive.

There are many a PhD article out there illustrating how destructive such a belief is and how imbued it is with racist, misogynistic, hetero-nomative, cis-normative- every 'normative'& ist out there.

I think we should agree to disagree. We both have our implicit biases and I doubt within this forum we're going to change them.

So I'll leave some perspectives to consider and happily tap out haha.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2016/09/21/issues/body-image-foreign-female-japan-survey-shows-frustration-one-size-fits-thinking/#.Xlc8hTGeRPY

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/05/07/women-weight-and-wellness/enough-with-the-stereotypes-of-fat-and-thin-people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1v3bEBlDw

@Merrilee3s several issues with what you said.

1) >I went into this manga hoping to see this reflected
This means you were hoping a series would pander specifically to your view of inclusivity, and not what the actual premise says from the get go. I don't know how to word this any more clearly, but seriously, what were you expecting from a series that lays out in the first chapter that she needs to lose weight? hell, its in the synopsis even. It's written all over. So why go on a crusade about it several chapters in when it stuck to its core theme? You could have seen this coming miles away, walked off realizing its trash to you, and saved us all the trouble here.

2) Its a medieval society. Of course its going to be draconian about its beauty standards. Thats part and parcel with the setting. Nobles are, and always have been, assholes. Bloodlines, looks, pride, prestige, its all part and parcel to the caste britney exists in. Projecting into that says more about us reading than it does britney doing anything. Like, for real, what do you expect?

3) No one said "If people do X they will guaranteed be happier." This is a specific scenario with a specific set of circumstances completely detached from the regular life of us modern age people. Britney herself, as a mental adult with foreknowledge of events, Took the steps to fix her situation, several steps at a time. Physical, mental, and even economic solutions are all taken in tandem. Rather than praising her on said progress, you are suggesting this manga is, for lack of a better word, heretical for even suggesting this girl attempt to lose weight at all.

4) SHE IS DOUBLE THE WEIGHT OF A CHILD HER AGE. What part of "This causes problems" and "No clear medicine with which to fix these problems" doesn't get across. She had to invent soap, for gods sakes, you think these people have the medicine needed to live a healthy life while that far over the average weight for her age? Or the diet for that matter? They certainly don't know what vitamins are, thats for sure. They can't effectively regulate their bodies like we can.

Its all well and good to say this series is fatshaming, but homing in specifically on that and completely ignoring the context, reasons, actions, and other problems solved by britney is wholly more shallow than "Fat is bad". This isn't about bias's or health image or anything else, you literally just ignored the premise hoping it'd go away and are now complaining about it 19 chapters in, completely disregarding that it never once hid what it was for a single instance. For gods sake its on the front cover of the book.

WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING?

Yo chill...
Like @xsomalx said, there are many circumstances into why she's trying to lose weight. It's explicitly stated that the villainess only accepts people uglier than her. Current she had bad BO and acne which is in the end falls under her unhealthy lifestyle. There's nothing wrong her trying to fix an unhealthy lifestyle in the first place.

Second of all, it's comedy for godsake it's going to be exaggerated. Hyperbole exists, things are blown out of proportion for the sake of comedy.

@MerriLee3s
Did you even read the manga??? Or did you skim over it because it seems like you just read a few words every page, decided you were gonna take those bits and piece to try and cry about fat people

Users who are viewing this thread