I, Who Possessed a Trash Skill "Thermal Operator," Became Unrivaled

I am so sick of the "useless skill becomes OP" trope. mostly because it's done so damn poorly it's laughable.

Like in another series some guy gets some kind of "bad status skill" and the goddess who summoned an entire class goes "you're useless die"... except he then uses a minor trick to kill an high level boss and SOMEHOW instantly reached near it's level because that is how EXP works in any game (no it actually doesn't). IT's done with so little effort that rather than an epic moment it just makes the goddess and class who couldn't see such an obvious exploit look like brain dead morons. It's just annoying rather than satisfying.

I mean at least this time the trope is being applied to "super powered high school" instead of Isekai. But it's still a done to death trope

Fed-Kun's army
@Metazoxan
What series is that? Why didn't you include the name I definitely think I read it but maybe it didn't update or something. Need to go read it right now. Sounds great so tell me what story it is.

Most people are brainless so that's like super.

Dex-chan lover
@BuffSoul honestly most insert isekais are forgettable
ik what he's talking about, but i cant even remember the name
even if he did know i doubt he's actually trying to recommend it, look at the context my dude

Dex-chan lover
@Metazoxan like this
these characters dont have trash skills, we are just told they do
i mean first 10 chapters and its revealed the MC doesnt have a trash skill... he has a god tier skill
making the entire name a misnomer

turn off yall brain before reading this like others dumb shit or else u gonna hate this kind of trash plot

Double-page supporter
@metazoxan that one has a pretty clear explanation, status skills have shitty proc rates in that universe. if only 1 in 50 paralysis casts actually succeeds then its definitely a trash skill. only someone who doesnt understand that when its clearly laid out for them can possibly be called a moron.
mc just happens to have an absurd 100% status infliction rate which isnt displayed in his stats.
secondly, we arent told what level the minotaur was, so we have zero fuckin clue how close to his level the mc got. end rant.

@buffsoul its "I Became the Strongest With the Failure Frame "Abnormal State Skill""

i mean. abnormal state isekai is still a trash isekai, but its a bit better than this at least.

@BuffSoul Sorry I simply could not remember the name.

@Lvl30LoliLewder that is nothing more than "justification" rather than "explanation". What I mean is it's just a convenient excuse to force the plot to occur as the author demands it. A goddess should know stuff like that can occur and it's stupid that she wouldn't think to check the proc rate. Even then the idea he goes from powerless to OP almost instantly is the absolute worst pacing I've ever seen. PLus he jumped straight to level 258.

I would also argue it's not better than this because "abnormal state" is one of those trash "revenge isekai" where the MC is abandoned and betrayed by his friends/classmates for little to no reason and becomes an edgelord badass. I mean not EVERY "revenge Isekai" is trash but almost every single one has the exact same damn plot and they are all cringy as hell as everyone around the MC is written like an absolute psychopath simply to make the MC look like a saint in comparison as he acts like an asshole. This series AT LEAST just have the MC start out as an underdog rather than trying to straight up murder him.

The lightnovel is significantly better. Its a shame.

The artist who is drawing this is literally SO TRASH. he has no ability to deliver on this story. Like that old guy enemy that jumps out the helicopter in chapter 9.... hes suppost to be super strong or atleast feel much stronger. but the artist makes him look like a soft kind old man and theres more examples of this kinda trash

also for alot of scenes theres just no background when there should be atleast a little. not so mention how fucking mediocure the fight scenes are drawn
cringe worthy

Double-page supporter
@metazoxan "my name is metazoxan and im the one who dictates what characters are supposed to know and be able to do in fantasy settings i didnt create. also ive just decided that superpowered highschool settings, which have plagued anime and manga with subpar garbage content for decades, are now less lazy and derivative than revenge isekai. also im a prophet that can see the future and i know how the protagonist of abnormal state will act when he reaches a town" - you, apparently

Bad writing.
Not so good art.
Few pages.
Weird premise (looks like a MHA clone).
Don't bother.

I just notice that these kind of mangas with overused theme/story/plot have a very diverse distribution of rating, i see this repeated in other series too.

@Doink I see. Well I might check the novel out later. I still find the idea of yet ANOTHER series when the MC has a "trash skill that is actually OP" annoying. But I read the 10 manga chapters out right now and it handles it differently from most. First of all it doesn't use the MC's skill starting out as "trash" as an excuse to have everyone backstab the MC and make him go on a path of bloody bloody vengeance and instead just has him start as an underdog which feels more reasonable. Second it actually justifies fairly reasonably why his skill is introduced as trash but turns out to be OP as in it's not that no one noticed but there is a reason the MC starts out thinking his skill is trash. I actually really like that although it makes the series title a complete lie which I don't like but.... meh could be worse.

It's also a change of pace to see this used in a "super high school" setting instead of isekai. Sure the "super high school" has also been done to death but I haven't seen a new one for a while since Isekai took over and it's using some isekai like elements so... I guess that counts as new? I don't know does mixing one cliche with a different cliche just make it even more cliche?

Either way I wouldn't call this A quality writing but I kinda like it.

@Metazoxan well its not like QUALITY stuff or anything its your run of mill isekai. Its just decent enough to be a crappy fun enough trope. I was just pointing out how terribly executed the manga was.

I would say its a shitty version of "irregular at magic highschool" lol

Dex-chan lover
The synopsis made me hate it instantly.

It's absolutely troperrific.

And then there's this gem: "due to a certain happening, it came to an end."

Quality world-building there bois.

PS: The art is the definition of blandness. It's worse than just bad.

Users who are viewing this thread