Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 17 Ch. 130 - I also really want to know... what you're like here, Senpai

Double-page supporter
No i say that the rough sketch session is NOT the exam, duh. Senpai have on his Calendar the exam being the 26 not the 25, its an error that everyone will get confused by. And if you checked your beloved Japanese version like you said, it doesnt even said its part of the Mock Exam either, so its just an assumption from the editor that is probably not correct at all.
On page 7 the instructor says that the model they hired for the rough sketch for the first day of the mock exam cancelled last minute. The mock exam is 2 days long starting on the 25th. The rough sketch is on the first day of the mock exam. Check the Japanese.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting that you chose to reply to this and not the other countless replies addressing your complaint.

Honestly I don't wanna join this "argument" since I've been part of something similar to this(Meat vs Niku "war" in LDM) and even there the argument for "keeping the intention of the author" just falls flat.

Like I understand you want to "preserve" the meaning behind what the author wrote... but at the same time you're treating localization as a rewrite... just as bad as some other official translator who are literally rewriting shit.
I have been replying to most of the people replying to my comments. Are you maybe only skimming through without actually checking who is saying what or even skipping pages?

And yes, I'm going to be treating any localization that goes beyond simple translation as butchering the original work. Localization makes the media more understandable for a single demographic, things that make more sense to you in your dialect might not make sense to someone just a few miles away that had slightly different upbringing, let alone someone raised thousands of miles away with English as their second or third language. Letting translators make any changes beyond simple translation opens up a slippery slope that eventually leads to 4Kids-style translation and/or gross misrepresentation.
All the changes I recommend are not only true to the original Japanese, but are also perfect grammar for the actual English language as you find in many English novels and even in textbooks; it is universally correct English, even if it doesn't agree with your specific colloquial dialect.

uhp

Fed-Kun's army
I have been replying to most of the people replying to my comments. Are you maybe only skimming through without actually checking who is saying what or even skipping pages?

And yes, I'm going to be treating any localization that goes beyond simple translation as butchering the original work. Localization makes the media more understandable for a single demographic, things that make more sense to you in your dialect might not make sense to someone just a few miles away that had slightly different upbringing, let alone someone raised thousands of miles away with English as their second or third language. Letting translators make any changes beyond simple translation opens up a slippery slope that eventually leads to 4Kids-style translation and/or gross misrepresentation.
All the changes I recommend are not only true to the original Japanese, but are also perfect grammar for the actual English language as you find in many English novels and even in textbooks; it is universally correct English, even if it doesn't agree with your specific colloquial dialect.
Addressing someone you are directly talking to in 3rd person is not "universally correct English", the only case anyone would do that is if they wanted to sound very condescending/mocking, which clearly isn't the case here. Doing it for other sentences is not correct and immediately sounds off to anyone who's the slightest bit familiar with the English language (which does not seem to be the case of the one making the other TL). No one speaks like that apart from that very specific case I mentioned earlier, which should I add is extremely rare.
And this is just skimming the surface. Even beyond obvious mistakes like those, it reads poorly compared to this one, the sentences don't flow as well, and the whole thing doesn't sound nearly as natural as a result.
And no, it is not because of "localization", if you want an example of what that would be, check the official translation from K Manga where they remove all the "-san", "-kun", "-chan", etc suffixes because they think the western audience won't understand what they mean. And even then the TLs still end up being miles better than Ecchi's because at least they read well and have sentences that sound right.
It's not a localization issue, it's simply an issue of a translator who has neither the Japanese comprehension skills to translate properly (this is fairly obvious with stuff like chapter 128 where they completely misunderstood what the characters were saying on several occasions), nor a good enough level of English to tell apart what sounds sounds off from what doesn't. In short, someone who shouldn't be doing translations.
I could also be talking about the ugly font that they use and the fact they somehow manage to get the title of the manga wrong on every chapter even though it is literally the series they are working on, but those aren't the biggest issues when the TLs themselves are the problem. Just saying that even the typeset is far from clean.

Localization makes the media more understandable for a single demographic, things that make more sense to you in your dialect might not make sense to someone just a few miles away that had slightly different upbringing, let alone someone raised thousands of miles away with English as their second or third language.
I'm not American, and English isn't even my native language either, yet I can still tell the other TLs are at best inferior to ATF's, and at worst plain wrong, and so can everyone else who replied to you.
What you're pointing out about the translation being targeted at a specific demographic is irrelevant. It's not a translation made for Americans, or British or Australians, it's made for anyone who speaks English regardless of where they come from and whether it's their first language or not. It doesn't use any specific regional word or expression that other people wouldn't understand. The furthest they can get is stuff like spelling "colour" "color" or vice-versa, which isn't an issue at all because everyone knows what you're talking about whether you use one variant or the other. You could say K Manga is very slightly more tailored to American readers because of spellings like "ya know" and "shaddap", but even then it would be a huge reach since, again, everyone understands.
So again, it's not localizing, it's making English sentences that sound good, natural, that read well, and that everyone can understand. Grammatically speaking you can only get so close to the original Japanese before it starts dropping in quality (looking at Ecchi), or even starts making no sense. They're 2 completely different languages with completely different grammar and ways to make good sentences, this should go without saying.

butchering the original work.
This is what Ecchi No Doujinshi is doing by pumping those out, reading subpar quality TLs will only make people enjoy the series less, or even confuse them when there's a sentence that makes no sense, and in turn make them less interested to keep following it. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if it were strictly a Mangadex thing (yet I'd still argue having nothing is better than those), but other manga sites, and especially manga piracy sites get their stuff either from here or from K Manga if they know where to look, which means a LOT of people who read it from those sites are stuck with those TLs because most of the time they are the first uploaded here, and a lot of those sites pick it up as soon as possible regardless of quality.
And then they dare ask for money on Patreon for this level of work, which just goes to show it is the only reason they are doing this to begin with. They're not doing it because "they like the series and want to contribute", they're doing it strictly for money and exposure, otherwise they would at least have the decency to respect the series and its readers by either providing something good (or average at the very least), or simply refraining from doing them seeing as it is already taken care of by someone much more competent in both translating and typesetting.

In short, if you can't see the issue even after comparing the 2 (or 3 if you count K Manga's), it's not a matter of preferring to read something "closer to the original Japanese", it's (respectfully) a matter of poor English level and not being able to tell when something sounds unnatural/off.
Besides, if I were looking for something that's as close to Japanese as possible, I wouldn't read the translation work of someone whose understanding of the language is that limited (I mean even I understood what Naga was saying originally in that terrible "Thanks for taking care, my Senpai is" translation from chapter 128 after looking at the raws, and I'm far from good enough to even read a chapter without having to look up every other word on Jisho, so this says something).

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
So again, it's not localizing, it's making English sentences that sound good, natural, that read well, and that everyone can understand.
Just wanted to say that this is the entire point and goal of localization (in regards to English). But yes, I agree with you 100%. Dunno what dude is on about.

Dex-chan lover
In the end, all the female characters in this manga just wanna strip naked

Users who are viewing this thread