Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 17 Ch. 130 - I also really want to know... what you're like here, Senpai

Dex-chan lover
But when translators try to put more personality into the translation instead of being "correct" they usually end up putting their on personality into it instead of the intended one.
And I don't for a second doubt this was the better translation, since I didn't even notice there was another version because the other group has already been on my block list for months because of the horrible job they do.
That's actually what I'm commenting about. The other translator does literal translations, absolutely none of their personality is injected into the translation, and the result is 100% the author's original intention though some idiomatic phrases don't quite come through because they make no attempt at localization. The original text didn't abridge the sentence or use any form of "you," the generalization of the subject in this version is precisely the translator deciding to insert their own writing chops into the story and changing the way that the scene plays out.

Dex-chan lover
That's actually what I'm commenting about. The other translator does literal translations, absolutely none of their personality is injected into the translation, and the result is 100% the author's original intention though some idiomatic phrases don't quite come through. The original text didn't abridge the sentence or use any form of "you," the generalization of the subject in this version is precisely the translator deciding to insert their own writing chops into the story and changing the way that the scene plays out.

They're not adding their own writing chops, they're making it flow in English. Japanese call people by name and you is considered rude, English uses you to point out the subject. It's just a proper TL with grammer and everything.

Shouting someone's name in a challenge is very anime yes, but not clean English. I'd prefer it be a cleaner TL.

Dex-chan lover
They're not adding their own writing chops, they're making it flow in English. Japanese call people by name and you is considered rude, English uses you to point out the subject. It's just a proper TL with grammer and everything.

Shouting someone's name in a challenge is very anime yes, but not clean English. I'd prefer it be a cleaner TL.
"You" is only rude in Japanese if you use the wrong one, and they aren't afraid to drop the subject entirely either. He could use "kimi" and it wouldn't have been rude at all because they are both in the same position as students, and if he wanted to be even more polite he could've use "anata" though it's normally reserved for one's superiors and close acquaintances (eg, their significant other), but since he is issuing a challenge he could get a bit more gruff and use "omae" without it being taken as actually rude. Since the target of the challenge is basically already established, he could also drop the subject entirely and just say "I intend to win" instead of "I intend to beat Machida-san". All of those are polite options he could have taken, yet the author had him deliberately use her name.

If making the declaration of "I intend to beat Machida-san" in front of the rest of the group is too clunky for you because you're rude enough to make the other 3 people in the room cease to exist in the meanwhile, you can rephrase the sentence a bit without removing the gravity by putting her name at the front, "Machida-san, I intend to beat you!" or at the end "I intend to beat you, Machida-san!" instead of leaving it as an open challenge for anyone in the room to take up.

BTW, if you re-read last chapter, he's not really speaking to Machida. He's facing Machida and speaking towards her, but he's most likely actually speaking to Nagatoro and voicing that he's rejecting Machida's opinion that one needs to abandon all else to succeed.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"You" is only rude in Japanese if you use the wrong one, and they aren't afraid to drop the subject entirely either. He could use "kimi" and it wouldn't have been rude at all because they are both in the same position as students, and if he wanted to be even more polite he could've use "anata" though it's normally reserved for one's superiors and close acquaintances (eg, their significant other), but since he is issuing a challenge he could get a bit more gruff and use "omae" without it being taken as actually rude. Since the target of the challenge is basically already established, he could also drop the subject entirely and just say "I intend to win" instead of "I intend to beat Machida-san". All of those are polite options he could have taken, yet the author had him deliberately use her name.

If making the declaration of "I intend to beat Machida-san" in front of the rest of the group is too clunky for you because you're rude enough to make the other 3 people in the room cease to exist in the meanwhile, you can rephrase the sentence a bit without removing the gravity by putting her name at the front, "Machida-san, I intend to beat you!" or at the end "I intend to beat you, Machida-san!" instead of leaving it as an open challenge for anyone in the room to take up.

BTW, if you re-read last chapter, he's not really speaking to Machida. He's facing Machida and speaking towards her, but he's most likely actually speaking to Nagatoro and voicing that he's rejecting Machida's opinion that one needs to abandon all else to succeed.
I'll beat you!

Machida I'll beat you!

The gravity is the same. Having the name doesn't increase the tone of the sentence. You're getting worked up over literally nothing.

Dex-chan lover
That's actually what I'm commenting about. The other translator does literal translations, absolutely none of their personality is injected into the translation, and the result is 100% the author's original intention though some idiomatic phrases don't quite come through because they make no attempt at localization. The original text didn't abridge the sentence or use any form of "you," the generalization of the subject in this version is precisely the translator deciding to insert their own writing chops into the story and changing the way that the scene plays out.
using fucked up weird grammar because i'ts more "japanese" like isn't good translating and he's clearly speaking to machida LMAO. you're so far gone.

Double-page supporter
using fucked up weird grammar because i'ts more "japanese" like isn't good translating and he's clearly speaking to machida LMAO. you're so far gone.
I swear, mfs would rather settle for something that reads as though a 13yo ran it through Google Translate than have it done officially/professionally or otherwise competently (in the case of scanlators). Could NEVER be me.

Dex-chan lover
Machida and Orihara are obviously in the same place - invested wholly in their craft, but probably far too serious by feeling they need to sacrifice everything else.

Before reading this chapter I thought "damn, the only way Naoto could win was if Nagatoro modeled for him" and then boom bam deus ex machina we had what we needed. Naoto will have a sort of unfair advantage as he actually loves the subject and will be able to bring forth extra emotions to his work that the others won't. I still think Nagatoro is getting merked by Orihara tho.

Double-page supporter
Let's dig into that "100%" claim a bit. All three English translations of this chapter[K-manga, ecchi, new anon] make extensive use of English idioms and expressions that weren't present in the original Japanese. Heck even S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was guilty of such. Here's some examples:

K-manga: "Chilling out" "cooped up at home" "spitting image" "lash out"
Ecchi: "My guy Hacchi" "quite the pickle" "you sly fox!" "That's sick"
Nu-Anon: "a tough spot" "You're quite a beast, huh?"

And you know what? It's fine, and even somewhat necessary to make adaptations because these characters are high schoolers who speak in slang, and there's no one single way to translate japanese slang and expressions into English. There's room for interpretation and naturally some hits and misses, but it's up to the translator to strike a balance between something that holds true to the original while also being readable in the target language.

There is no such thing as a english translation that has 100% of the author's original intention. The only thing that does is the original Japanese, so if that's what you're searching for then you'd best brush up on your nippongo, friend.

Users who are viewing this thread