I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 1 Ch. 7.5

All of you are looking too deep into this. It's not whitewashing. That term does not apply here.

For all you who don't get why others are mad about colorism when "the theme of the story is don't judge others by there looks". It's because how shittily this is handled the core message.

A story that's really about overcoming discrimination doesn't turn a character light skinned in the end when she's blessed by the good spirit.

This is not a story about overcoming discrimination and we all know it because we can see that authors preconceived racism in the plot.

Bad spirit evil = dark skin
Light good skirt = light skin

Because dark skin is soooo bad. And then when she gets blessed only her skin color changes...

Hell even one of Claudia's friends only approched her cause it'd drive everyone off. Not because he say past discriminatory bs.

Having a story about colorism is fine and great there's plenty out there that are amazing. Having a story about not judging others by the way they look is also great. This ain't it boss

No hate to Haru party by the way they do a great job translating. This comic is booty tho

Group Leader
It's not whitewashing. Has anyone pointed out how ALL of the colors seemed a little light? Like, her hair color, Gerald, etc, etc? As well as how the new cover has the correct colors?

It would have been a lot more satisfying if she got darker from the light blessing instead of lighter. Like getting a deeper tan. Booyah, year round beach body my girl! Or anyone with the light spirits blessing of the naturally pale disposition turns lobster red like I do in the sun. I'm a pale girl, I've only got two settings, alabaster and aaaaaah it burns!

Would have been funny to see the light spirit user bundled up carrying a parasol and wearing a sun hat to keep her skin so fair. I mean, what sense does a light spirit blessing making you pale make in the first place? Then again, legend of the sun knight ruined me for straight up stereotype parody.

To be clear, yes, I realize that one of the covers is a scan gone wrong instead of the intended art. I'm still disappointed since I know what's coming and the wasted potential. Kind of like how the mother will probably never face consequences for her abjectly terrible behavior toward her daughter.

Aggregator gang
Rather than racism or whatever, it's an East Asian thing. They believe pale skin is beautiful while dark skin (tanned included) is not. It's got something to do with rich people not working the fields in ye olden times so they were paler or some such. It's aesthetics that they apply to themselves (skin whitening creams) and thus the world around them.

@TheDollCollector if you're looking for diversity maybe you should watch Utena. Though it won't tackle skin issues it's really good and has an amazing soundtrack.

@Ribath Thank you for the suggestion, but I can't get through 1 episode of Utena for some reason? It's hard to watch.
I wish Nobunagun had a second season- maybe they can bring more international diversity as season 1 is mostly European and Asian. (They got slight accent for the english dub)

Fed-Kun's army
ohhhh no.... is her skin legit just... gonna change color lmao U M

thank you for the update!!! i love her big brother dfslalsjk he's the best

I feel baited :c Hopefully we get a new chapter soon oh well. Thanks for the extras c:

Yeah.. about her skin:
The Light Spirit King has a falling out with Amelia and instead blesses Claudia which incidentally lightens her skin, too. And lo and behold, after that everybody likes her, she gets lots of marriage proposals, it's as if her skin colour had always been the only problem they had with Claudia. But that's "fixed" now. A very Japanese thing it seems...

Users who are viewing this thread