Imasara desu ga, Osananajimi wo Suki ni Natte Shimaimashita - Ch. 22 - It Happened, A Year, and a Half Ago

Supporter
I feel this wouldn't be so bad if all the chapters actually had something to them, it's been over half a year and so many been under 10 pages and just revolved around 1-2 page set-up -> 1 page punchline. It fully felt like a short weekly dummy romcom and now there's a complete tonal shift. I dunno if it's the author not writing enough or if the artist is unable to keep up, but to do a story with big dramatic beats then this is gonna need more then 6 page chapters every 2 weeks to establish characters.
There is more, though. This short manga presents an abbreviated version of a WN that releases new chapters weekly alongside the manga.

7.55 as of this post. Lordamercy.
Who gives a shit. It's a bunch of fans butthurt over their "comfy" story being a figment of the Hikari's imagination even though the signs were there that Ka-chan didn't like their self-insert protagonist. It was a good twist. Hikari didn't make a move. She is not entitled to his love and she treated him pretty crappy making all kind of assumptions. It's all about the execution from now on. If she wants him, HIkari is going to have to fight like everyone else.

Dex-chan lover
Who gives a shit. It's a bunch of fans butthurt over their "comfy" story being a figment of the Hikari's imagination even though the signs were there that Ka-chan didn't like their self-insert protagonist. It was a good twist. Hikari didn't make a move. She is not entitled to his love and she treated him pretty crappy making all kind of assumptions. It's all about the execution from now on. If she wants him, HIkari is going to have to fight like everyone else.
Figment of what? If her POV wasn't to be trusted the POV of this sewer rat also isn't reliable.

You're also missing the point of why people are mad, people are mad because this woman pretended to support her "best friend", maybe even after figuring out who her love interested was to backstab her at the last moment when she knew her friend was about to make a move. She's nothing short of a snake.

Figment of what? If her POV wasn't to be trusted the POV of this sewer rat also isn't reliable.

You're also missing the point of why people are mad, people are mad because this woman pretended to support her "best friend", maybe evenS after figuring out who her love interested was to backstab her at the last moment when she knew her friend was about to make a move. She's nothing short of a snake.
She staked a claim to free property. It looks like she broke up with him anyway and was trying to avoid him when they ran into each other. If Hikari hadn't been so insistent to show off her imaginary "boyfriend" then none of this would have happened. It was clear that Ka-chan didn't want to go but was pushed into it. But she had to gain cred with the girls. Oops, didn't work out. Now fight or shut up. Grow a pair and show Ka-chan that she can kiss better than Aya.

Dex-chan lover
She staked a claim to free property. It looks like she broke up with him anyway and was trying to avoid him when they ran into each other. If Hikari hadn't been so insistent to show off her imaginary "boyfriend" then none of this would have happened. It was clear that Ka-chan didn't want to go but was pushed into it. But she had to gain cred with the girls. Oops, didn't work out. Now fight or shut up. Grow a pair and show Ka-chan that she can kiss better than Aya.
That's for Hikari's side of the story. Now the author put that on hold and is trying to making us really sympathize with this snake who at some point thought selling herself to old men was a sound plan for something. Solid start if he wanted the audience to hate her even more.

Dex-chan lover
Also, the author is a known cf hater, all his stories the cf gets screwed in depressing ways. I think he carries baggage from being rejected by a cf.
cf?

Oh childhood friend. Damn things that shouldve been made common knowledge before getting invested in this. Welp. Cuck manga for a cuck author i guess. Sucks to suck.

Dex-chan lover
Oh no! Don't try to blame the readers on it.
The story was sold as comfy, without quotes.
No, it was not clear that everything was her point of view, after all, ALL stories are told in the main character point of view.
Yeah, this could be a smart twist if the author didn't decide to take 20 chapters to pull this, sorry, you can defend this all you want, but nobody can complain about reads getting frustrated for waiting a specific kind of story just to have a totally different thing.
You know, people have their reasons to pick specific genres of stories. Sometimes a reader of a wholesome kind of story don't want to read heavy stuff, sometimes those readers have really good motives for this choice (like dealing with heavy depression and wanting to avoid heavy plot).
I can say that I was this kind of reader before, now I am stable, but I can totally understand why this is not the best way to write this kind of plot twist.
I am a writer that write short horror stories, in the sense that the stories that write ends badly a lot of times, but, I would never write chapters and chapters of a cute story just to totally change the genre to eldritch horror

Dex-chan lover
People criticise the tonal shift but if this had happened anywhere else like in an action or a mystery series, you'd have ate this shit up 100%.

I personally love the fact that all of these were foreshadowed prior to ch 20. It gives a complete different outlook upon a reread.
But here is the thing, the genre (or supposed genre) IT'S important.
If I decided to read an action or mystery series, I would be looking for it.
Or at least, if since the first chapters we had, at least, a romcom with drama elements or complex emotional plots then the backlash would not be like that.
Instead, we had a "silly romcom, somewhat slice of life" tone and guess what, you will have people that are looking for this kind of story. People that are looking this kind of story a lot of times want a light romcom for a reason (sometimes, even psychological reason).
So yeah, genre is important and doing a brute genre shift like that will have heavy backlash.
It's not the readers that need to deal with that, the writer need to deal with that because it was his choice and if he is not a new writer, he probably was expecting this kind of backlash.
Is he a bad writer for that? Not exactly (but he could expend less chapters with fluffly random romcom stuff, AKA better pacing)

Dex-chan lover
This isn't about Ellie, you have a half decent answer to the completely wrong argument. Like, my point was never about Ellie so not sure why you brought her up. And also my point wasn't about the in universe aspect but instead the out universe audience perception of Abby.
It is about Ellie just as much as it is about Abby. Ellie and Abby are foils and reflections of each other and of the player as well. You came to hate Abby just as Ellie did, and you are expected to forgive Abby just as Ellie did as well. And their story is meant to teach you a lesson of forgiveness and humanity, a lesson that clearly flew over your head.

Dex-chan lover
It’s all about execution. Onani Master Kurosawa is a manga with wild tonal shifts where you care for, quite honestly, not very sympathetic characters and watch them grow on you.

This? This is just silly and random Drama Ex Machina that handles the characters in most off-putting way possible. Especially since there was not a lick of buildup that lead us tho this point in the story.
Pacing, the answer is pacing

Dex-chan lover
It is about Ellie just as much as it is about Abby. Ellie and Abby are foils and reflections of each other and of the player as well. You came to hate Abby just as Ellie did, and you are expected to forgive Abby just as Ellie did as well. And their story is meant to teach you a lesson of forgiveness and humanity, a lesson that clearly flew over your head.
No, just, no. You are going the extra mile to try and make the story salvageable. I like the effort you're putting in and respect it, but no. The foil thing falls apart cause no one hates Ellie, you would have to find me other players who agree with you in hating Ellie before anything flies over my head.

Look at it this way, you guys are actually discussing the manga now instead of just gushing at every little moment 🤪

Dex-chan lover
I feel this wouldn't be so bad if all the chapters actually had something to them, it's been over half a year and so many been under 10 pages and just revolved around 1-2 page set-up -> 1 page punchline. It fully felt like a short weekly dummy romcom and now there's a complete tonal shift. I dunno if it's the author not writing enough or if the artist is unable to keep up, but to do a story with big dramatic beats then this is gonna need more then 6 page chapters every 2 weeks to establish characters.
It’s the former. The manga is drawn alongside the WN

Dex-chan lover
Can't really be sorry for bunch of people who wanted yet another self-insert romcom no.5412 and got this instead. Boring mofos

Users who are viewing this thread