Is Mangarock bad?

I mean, we all have those times when the chapters aren’t really available here on mangadex so you have to go somewhere. I search up a manga name and there pops up mangarock. I heard some shit about so please go further into detail.

Still in beta after million years.
No bookmarks.
Reader sucks.
No discussions, but its actually a big +
UI/UX is absolutely distasteful.

for ppl who doesn't care about scanlation, decrease sale for publ and author will think mangarock was HEAVEN.
why? other than steal scanlation stuff, they rips official eng. and their apps also contributed that much, that why they surpass kissmanga and mangadex view ranking! even google search dominated by them! huff huff.

Miku best girl
Admin
We suspect that mangarock may be hot linking our images in their app too

Mangarock are a collection of rather scummy thieves and black-market peddlers, but clever enough to understand that you need to regularly push a decent product if you want customers to keep coming; and that you need to keep a low profile to avoid the popo

i try mangarock once but their reader suck! and i don't see any comment, did they hide it or just no comment allowed.

Dex-chan lover
No worse than any other scrapebot-driven aggregator site, really. At least they don't slap ugly watermarks on the scans, if I remember correctly. I quite liked their recommendation list system, though; whoever was working on those/wherever they stole them from was doing some good work.

Fed-Kun's army
UI/UX for mangarock sucks... ads are less cancerous when compared to KissManga.

I wouldn't say the website is bad, but (in my opinion) I find the usage of the website to be atrocious (mangarock that is). Getting bombarded midway between a manga chapter is utter hell and that happens more than once on a single chapter there.

I find this website to be the best source of manga (scanlations) ever since I started reading manga. Everything is just so straightforward here and easy to navigate through without any hassle here!

Power Uploader
Their reader is terrible, however they don't have watermarks and ads are nowhere as intrusive on other sites.

If you want to read licensed content for free, Manga Rock is not bad for an aggregator.

managrock by far the best looking and easiest site to use and there readerer is just as good as mangadex. Also there search bar is easier to use. ads are not intrusive on the website and with a decent ad block there is no ads anyway.

The only problem with it is that it's a scrapebot-driven aggregator site.

One of the main reason that site get a lot of traffic is probably do to how good the website is in comparison to others like mangadex.

yh mangadex is the r/unpopularOpinons
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%201-m&q=mangarock,mangadex

Dex-chan lover
More like r/UnpopularSites, actually. MangaRock is like that mainstream celebrity who's famous just because they're famous and nothing else. Luck is a pretty important factor...

Miku best girl
Admin
Mangarock appears on Google searches a lot and gets a lot of growth that way. Don't know how they avoid getting links removed, which is what happens to us, so we don't get much growth from Google.

We need to encourage people to promote us more on social media. We have over 200,000 registered users now and millions of visitors per month, yet only 3000 Twitter followers and 2000 Facebook likes. I think we should definitely be able to increase presence on social media to grow via that route.

I don't think MangaRock is "famous just because they're famous" they did a really good job at making themselves known trough what was once a good reader app for phone/tab. It was also available on the playstore which surely contributed a lot to the renown, it was available at a good time, with little choice. The direction they are going now, forcing the user to read on their "own source", making the app less and less a reader, and more and more a kiosk, even less stable too - and that even for premium due to the ad. system - may cause the user to go on far better app like "tachiyomi" in a near future. Not to mention the really "strange" choice of the "supported" sources.
The thing is "MangaRock" as an app still seems to dethrone the later as it seems easier to find, so people tend to go on the online reader too. The marketing is kinda well done and give a 'legit' feel.
Regarding the policy of them, it seems extremely fishy, I had once a talk with the consumer service, it was when bato.to was experimenting some pbs some month before shutdown. They told me "we don't host any file" BUT the refreshing of new mangas was always late AND you could access some manga even when the cloudfire was down and I did not even used the compression data thingy. It was before the new version, and at the time I am pretty sure they scraped all to build their own reader.
Now they have a whole new policy : the reader app support only dead sources so you are really forced to use their own which can have a pretty highly compression ratio and a user would find it ugly even if it was on a GBA.

Mangarock didnt get there on luck alone.
i would definitely agree with the legit feel of mangarock, it something that mangadex does not have even tho it is the more legit out of the two. If i was to give recomend both websites most ppl i know would use mangarock and not mangadex due to that legit feel. I personally feel that the legit feel coming from mangarock is due to good website design which mangadex does not have. Mangadex certainly has more features but the website feels cheap. Also the fact that most features on mangadex are blocked unless you login is annoying you can't even use the search bar unless you login that also probs driving alot of traffic away.
Even tho mangadex is good, it looks and feels bad and i think taht's the biggest problem.

Well if I understood correctly the features are "blocked" to mitigate the current ddos. The thing is, even under ddos, Mangadex still get faster loads time on good quality pic than Mangarock have on low res.
MangaDex is still young and kinda prioritized the feature it was meant for, the reading ones, the community ones, while MangaRock seems to get all eye-candy on poor bandswitch making the functionality that should be the main one (the reading part) kinda a hassle. It's like commercial jam vs home-made one, one get good packaging, low fruits and bad sugar, the other get the taste! It can on an other hand create envy, and keep a reader on the site.
I still use first version of the UI on mangadex as I prefer the listing way, I find it more smoothing for the eyes than the dual collons and so I don't like the heavy MangaRock UI.
The MangaRock suggestion thingy is interesting if you read all that pass across your screen, if you are more of a "seeker" the MangaDex tags are better. Also, those tags can clearly be used to make the same "you may also like" thingy in the future, I dare say with a more real audit. Last but not least the mangadex devs, are way closer to the community/user and integrate requested features while dealing with technical difficulties, while if you just look on the beta corner of both the MangaRock site and app, the number of support for a request - like adding MangaDex as a source XD - and the answers...
Well, but some users don't really care about that, they just access to content, so atm the 504s and the "need to log for using the search function" can be a big let down for them.

Users who are viewing this thread