Isekai Munchkin -HP 1 no Mama de Saikyou Saisoku Danjon Kouryaku- - Vol. 2 Ch. 18 - The Subject of Money

Group Leader
Isn't it depressing that now when the scantalor warns about NSFW at the beginning of a chapter I'm more concerned it's going to be an opening rape scene instead of just lewdness?

Group Leader
@HDMI1 Ah, sorry, I should have specified. It just caught me off guard when I first looked over the chapter so I wanted to make sure others knew so they could avoid the same fate as me.

Dex-chan lover
I always prefer 100 coppers to a silver, 100 silver to a gold, and a 100 gold to a platinum

Dex-chan lover
Given the level difference, I guess it's less about raw stat and more about stacking modifiers. Rosinante might be the only one to attack normally in this fight.

Dex-chan lover
Them sitting on the bed with those fancy, medieval clothes >>> much stronger than >>> bathing scene.

50G for a 1D10 healing potion? Wow. That's a bargain! I sometimes play TDE and a 1D3 healing potion does cost around 60G. (an 1D6 120G, 1D6+2 180G, 1D6+4 240G, 1D6+6 300G and an 1D+8 360G. Those are normal prices for instant-better-again drinks.)

Supporter
T/Ns on the actual pages where they can be found and read in context, or as close as possible depending on room. Much better than all at the end where they're out of context and already forgotten.

Dex-chan lover
I still get more mad than I should when they have those "converted to yen" lines. It doesn't help or mean anything since that's not really how money works and, even if this fantasy world somehow had relatively the same items they wouldn't be valued the same proportionately due to differences in resources and, what has probably had some of the biggest impact on modern prices and consumer culture, advertising. The value of many things depends entirely on some big advertising scheme some asshole came up with over the last century or so. That's were pretty much everything we think of diamonds and weddings comes from. Mouthwash was floor cleaner that listerine decided to rebrand. So the idea is just preposterous and presumes that this fantasy medieval world would have had all of the cultural changes that lead to the idea of the consumer and everything we have with it now despite either being way behind or developing completely differently. I wish they would stop doing that. THERE IS NO EXCHANGE RATE IF THERE IS NO EXCHANGE!

Sorry, but like I said, this makes me unreasonably mad.

Dex-chan lover
Seriously why japs insists in making that equivalency to yen, when that's not accurate. Money doesn't keep the same value over time and products change price for offer and demand

Fed-Kun's army
@kaminomikan
because it grounds us in the world and gives us some context for the money spend without needing to read volumes upon volumes to fully understand the value of the currency

If you go to another country where you now need to swap currency, the first thing you will do is give yourself a base for what the value of it is. ig I convert 1 usd over to lets say magicalbutts, 1usd = 10000magicalbutts
now if I go do a market in the magical kingdom of butts, and an apple is sold for 100magicalbutts, but common bottle of water is 50000magicalbutts, it grounds context that an apple is fairly cheap compared to water

Dex-chan lover
A bath scene with no actual nudity warrants a warning now? how far we've come.

Dex-chan lover
@alidan no it isn't giving you ground of anything, is wrong knowledge and it won't give you any idea to understand the currency.

Also, your example doesn't apply because he isn't going to make an exchange of currency (and it dismisses money devaluation), he is going to earn local currency so it doesn't matter how many yens, dollars, pesos, etc was the value, because he is going to earn is the money of that place.

so that an apple cost 1 gold (or whatever) but was 10XX yen (or whatever) is meaningless info, it doesn't tell you if something is cheap or not. What will tell you if something is cheap is for example an apple cost 1 gold, and that potion cost 20 golds, but what I earn in a day is 10 golds. see? relevant information it tells you what is cheap and what isn't.

so japs going and going about that "equivalency" is utter bullshit.

Dex-chan lover
@kaminomikan It's just the easiest way of making sure the readers get a sense of scale for currency value, plus it's an Isekai meaning they can go that route, stories that don't have that element just strictly use the in story services and goods to show you.

Plus it's not like money values change that rapidly unless something massive happens to the economy and the government starts devaluing the yen like crazy by printing too much of it. It generally stays the same value and the writer isn't planning this out so people reading 50 years from now can understand it, just don't look into it that much.

Users who are viewing this thread