Isekai Walking - Vol. 8 Ch. 70 - Slave Contract

Double-page supporter
I think one issue, maybe the biggest issue, is  how the magic slavery in itself works, okay, employers have obligation of treating the slave well, okay, fair, but how will people know the abuse happened? Is there like a magic to know if people speak the truth? Does the magic slavery spell "marks" the abusers in some ways? Or make the collar shine red as if saying "hey this slave was abused"? Anything really?

I feel that that japanese writers half-assed magic slavery too much, especially because it involves literally fucking magic, they want to portray it as good but they never  really develop the system to show how it can't be abused because magic will cause consequences, so it end up mostly as lip service.

"Slavery can be good because I said so, look, I portrayed it as good, don't question the details though!"

There was countless cases of slavery being "good" in human story, but I feel that when it involves magic author has literally no excuse to at least show a proper magic system, with punishment and such if slave is abused, if they  really want people to buy that it's actually completely good.

I still think part of the issue is cultural differences, federalism still too strong in Japanese culture, so they don't see slavery as most westerners.

The easiest fix is simply, "we're tying this person's life to you. Whatever they suffer, you suffer the same. Including death."

Instead of slavery as a trope cop out it could have been a simple immigration system where you need an employer vouching for a person and taking responsibility for the person for a residence permit. This would make it a permanently voluntary thing, just find a new employer freely.

Dex-chan lover
It wasn't the americans that horrified them, in fact the american slaves had it better than some nations, look at how slaves were treated in south america where the literally worked them to death because it was cheaper to buy new slaves then treat them for example.
People love to talk about how bad american slaves had it, but that's not why the us has the stigma, it's because the us was the last western nation to outlaw it.

Oh and slavery is still widely practiced outside of the west btw, usually not in the open except in north africa and china though, but it's still far too common, most of the world's governments tend to ignore it when they should put work into stomping it out completely.
Now, someone who knows better please correct me if I'm wrong, it is true Americans weren't the only ones doing it, and that in other places there was definitely racial roots, but I'm pretty sure Americans were the only ones to straight up use religion to justify it, that slavery of black people was quite literally their God given right, slavery of black people absolutely defined confederate culture, it's the reason why not only they took so long to end slavery, but why also even today many people  still want confederacy and slavery back.

You don't see other countries with cultures openly whining about a "lost cause" that was defined by slavery.

As for slavery today, too many toes to step, people are too scared to destroy status quo and start wars over it, unfortunately.

Banned
Manga will bend over backwards doing flips and summersaults to whitewash slavery. I'm so sick of this shit.

Americans absolutely did not invent beating, raping, and murdering the human beings they owned. Get fucking real.
Yeah, there's this book from 2000 years ago that said it's chill to beat a slave within an inch of their lives as long as you don't kill them. I think the MC's name was Jesus or some shit? I dunno. Books called The New Testament so you can check for yourself if you want.

Dex-chan lover
is employment actually a modernized slavery?
jk but not really lmao
3d2.gifv

Dex-chan lover
Just gonna put this here and eat some popcorn.

Quoting this for the people who come complain when Americans are bashed for slavery, yeah other countries did have slavery too, but they don't have a entire movement wanting it back.

Dex-chan lover
ugh. i had hoped that he wouldnt go through with it, but after the manga going on about how slavery is actually beneficial to slaves im dropping this. this trope ruins so many otherwise good manga

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, there's this book from 2000 years ago that said it's chill to beat a slave within an inch of their lives as long as you don't kill them. I think the MC's name was Jesus or some shit? I dunno. Books called The New Testament so you can check for yourself if you want.
Whoa there, Jesus is not the MC. They added him in the 14th season to revive dying sales.
is employment actually a modernized slavery?
jk but not really lmao
In all seriousness, they do have similarities. Both are a reflection of social/economic class (master/slave = ownership class/working class). Both require your behavioral submission to a master/boss, dictate what you get for your labor, control your life outside of the job to some extent, and threaten you with homelessness/starvation if you refuse to do what the master says. Biggest difference is to some extent you can choose between jobs, but this is often a false choice because you're still in the working class.

I'd add "prisoner" to the triad, same idea. The boss tells you how to work and has the right to punish you.

Dex-chan lover
ugh. i had hoped that he wouldnt go through with it, but after the manga going on about how slavery is actually beneficial to slaves im dropping this. this trope ruins so many otherwise good manga
also, i encourage everyone who is dropping this with me to give it a 1 star review because slavery is bad and you shouldnt try to put a positive spin on it

Dex-chan lover
Something I just remembered that most of you guys forget, a lot of mangas we read are literally market to teenagers, if not outright children, it's why thr story never goes deep into the implications and we get sanitized versions of slavery and similar topics, since it's not intended to be serious.

So in short, to all people twisting their panties over this manga, you're quite literally throwing a fit over what might be effectively children book, for children who actually know to not take this seriously at all :dogkek:

Me too. Literally came here after reading the chapter because it was so incredibly heinous. Like bad even for a manga levels.
"Slavery is fine, the slaves like it, see?" I'm sure they love being owned because of debt, or their country was taken over. Honestly I don't know why more people don't become slaves, it sounds like a cushy job! (sarcasm, obvs.)

Dex-chan lover
While I won't pretend to be anything but than unenthused about another slavery plot,
At least unlike most this seems to be more regulated. Unlike some.

Users who are viewing this thread