Isekai Yakkyoku - Vol. 9 Ch. 44.2 - Present For Lotte

Dex-chan lover
Ahh, thank you for the TL! Happy to see this manga on my updated page.

Dex-chan lover
The people of that era in that world are surprisingly open minded... I wouldn't be surprised if they got so unnerved by the painting and called it the work of the devil
honestly, it kinda makes sense given that falma directly told the artist he aint being cursed by ghosts, combined with the artist's prestige, and the Pope's devotion to falma, makes people just kinda accept it and not think too hard about it.
Its not like everyone isn't unnerved, there's that closing line about the girls being scared at night because of it, so I assume it's a case of the author not showing the full picture, since it's unimportant.

Yeah really, rather than just abstract those were very morbid focused. I think this was a disconnect between manga artist and writer.
I think it makes sense given he first thought he was being haunted by ghosts, but learning that the ghosts aren't ghosts but distortion, and falma pushing for him to "show the world what he sees" kinda leads to his art reflecting that thought. and so we get get eye-balls and flesh monsters, close enough to ghosts.

Mild disappointment that they chose those specific art styles as the new art-form for the old painter -- it's a bit much of a leap in style change, not to mention the worse part with exactly what those styles represent with the movements they are from. There's just a bit of dissonance there that doesn't quite sit right with me. I guess if you do some mental gymnastics, you could get them to sort-of work/fit...? But that's... quite a lot of mental gymnastics there in all honesty =/

Dex-chan lover
Mild disappointment that they chose those specific art styles as the new art-form for the old painter
Agreed, it would have been more interesting if the art had more to do with missing and distorted vision rather than simply being surreal. That being said I can understand that they just have to pick something and move on so choosing surrealist art as the "new weird outlook" fits in that sense since it's familiar to the readers.

Dex-chan lover
Mild disappointment that they chose those specific art styles as the new art-form for the old painter -- it's a bit much of a leap in style change, not to mention the worse part with exactly what those styles represent with the movements they are from. There's just a bit of dissonance there that doesn't quite sit right with me. I guess if you do some mental gymnastics, you could get them to sort-of work/fit...? But that's... quite a lot of mental gymnastics there in all honesty =/
I honestly expected that the artist would make something to the style of "The Scream". I don't really even know how could he even draw straight lines with his condition, so the many straight outlines used really irked me.

Dex-chan lover
Those images are examples of surrealism, not of abstraction.
Yeah, abstraction focuses to bring paintings alive with colors and shapes, usually creating the effect to visualize the art without depicting it realistically.
Surrealism on the other hand focuses on deep thinking, a world inside of an artist's head. Dreams, sense of self, a world of your own.
So it fits in the theme of this arc.
The paintings depict what the duke thinks and feels.
Fear of loss of sight and the world that he lived in.
What otherworldly medicine can do and how eldrich it is, not understanding how great it is.

Dex-chan lover
I honestly expected that the artist would make something to the style of "The Scream". I don't really even know how could he even draw straight lines with his condition, so the many straight outlines used really irked me.
He has partial sights loss.
His vision has holes at sides, not blurriness. So he more like sees trough pipes at all times. Debilitating yes but you can too write with a pen like that because the area of focus is still visible.

Users who are viewing this thread