Jiisama ga Iku - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - The old man who has been summoned

@Feeder Hey this is a pretty late comment but here is some history for the person that complains about people always introducing mayo in isekai mangas.

Mayonnaise is said to be the invention of the French chef of the Duke de Richelieu in 1756. While the Duke was defeating the British at Port Mahon, his chef was creating a victory feast that included a sauce made of cream and eggs.

1756 is well after the time period depicted in most isekai mangas so......... it's not really all that surprising they don't have mayo is it?

Aggregator gang
@Torgr01
Kept me waiting huh. I posted that comment 2 months ago. And yeah that was a mistake on my part, I could have easily have done a cursory google search that anyone could do to get my answer.

For the comic, my opinion is still the same. I was complaining about the simplicity and the relative overuse of mayo in isekai as the crutch for the protagonist's intellect, and the general use of layman's logic to improve simple shit. Like using dead things to fertilise soil, I remember reading the novel Seirei Gensouki where the main character proposed burying dead leaves near the crops and it was apparently some revelation that dead things enrich soil. Soy sauce is another condiment that is commonly used in these isekai stories, and it makes me question has nobody ever tried fermenting a common bean before? It's not like the main character did some especially complex procedure, created some complex chemical, or invented some machine new to the era, no the author just lazily did some simple shit that anyone can figure out, just to make their character seem "smart".

The author could have fixed the issue by doing general improvements to already existing culinary and tech things. I remember watching a Sam O'nella academy video about the history of sushi, before it became the food of today. In the past sushi was just a pungent smelling preserved fermented dish, rather than the popular dish of today. Or the author could do something like furnace designs. Humanity haven't been using the same furnace to smelt metals since it was invented, an improved design to the already existing tech could be applied in isekai stories. Steel working went from the Bloomer, Blast Furnace, Bessemer Converter, to the Open Hearth Furnace. The Furnace example was inspired from a video I watched not long ago by Real Engineering. The 42 second mark was where they briefly showcased Furnace designs across the ages.

Sources
Sam O'nella Academy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80rYgqb6wo
Real Engineering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jQ4y0LK1kY&t=0s

Dex-chan lover
granpa must be from the future for him to do stuff like reading LNs and playing RPGs

at least 10-20 years from now when the NES era guys are now proper wrinkly granpas

@Wolvenworks In 10 - 20 years, People who grew up with the NES will not be wrinkly grandpas, most will be barely touching their 45-55 age range. Pretty sure that's not grandpa age. Now the Atari 2600, that's a different generation.

Dex-chan lover
@bitlock fair point, but i think the Atari and Commodore generations aren't familiar with stuff like LN isekai stuff, so i merely miscalculated the years. let's say 50 years then, because we'll all be wrinkly men by then. we'd either be the trendiest granpas in the world, or become cyborg futas lol

Contributor
Okay but, I feel really bad for the grandkid he left behind, he just lost an awesome grandpa and picked up serious childhood trauma on top of it.

* A Grandpa that suddenly asked for ItemBox when he was about to reincarnated

Elder who got influenced by his grandson set his priorities straight 😝

Dex-chan lover
He showed mercy to goblins

Goblin Slayer would be mildly perturbed

Wait a minute, doesn't this mean that this god was trying to get the grandson killed? If so then I would be PISSED. Or was this a "it's planned to happen and we're just gonna take advantage of the situation" kind of thing? In which I would be mildly peeved.

Dex-chan lover
He should have asked to be much younger. His bones will be creaking in a few years.

He is the most wholesome isekai MC, though.

Dex-chan lover
@UltimaOmega777 I agree with you, i thought the kid was just going to be mysteriously transported but not outright killed, he cant have more than 10, him seeing his grampa dying isnt exactly better too but i will just be happy nothing happened to him.

Dex-chan lover
We're just playing isekai bingo again, but with one minor variable again, huh. Disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread