Kakao Entertainment's newest piracy proposal (Tachiyomi died)

Dex-chan lover
RP: few seconds
TL: 1h to 1h30 for a ~30pages chapter
PR: 30min to 1h for a ~30pages chapter
RD: Takes the most time ~4h
TS: ~1h30min (edited)
QC: the time you make to read a ~30pages chapter + ~5min
So all in all, about 8-ish man-hours to complete a 30-page chapter? Interesting. At slightly above minimum wage (<$20), that would come out to the labor cost of ~$150 US per chapter (that's my point of reference, not sure what it would be in Japan or elsewhere).

I wonder how that stacks up to the actual costs in the industry. Theoretically lower man-hours since cleaning shouldn't be an issue, and redrawing should be less.
Major caveat, of course, is that a talented crew translating a manga should (please?) be getting well above minimum wage. Professional translators I used to work with had rates around $200/hour, which would spike the TL cost for the publisher by factor of 2-3 over the figure above.

Not sure what that figure means yet in the pirate vs publisher debate, but I've been looking for hard numbers for, well, any monetary claims and they're extremely difficult to pin down. Some law review articles still to plow through and then it might be into financial filings :fml:

Dex-chan lover
I always laugh when I see publishers and such talking about piracy being the bane of their existence because they "lose" so much money to it. The reality is, a potential lost sale is a meaningless number, because the majority of pirates never would have been a sale to begin with.

On the other end, I've spent thousands on manga over the years specifically because of all of the stuff I've been introduced to via scanlation. If I didn't get into reading scanlations, I very likely would never have developed a manga collecting addiction like I have now.

Dex-chan lover
I always laugh when I see publishers and such talking about piracy being the bane of their existence because they "lose" so much money to it. The reality is, a potential lost sale is a meaningless number, because the majority of pirates never would have been a sale to begin with.

On the other end, I've spent thousands on manga over the years specifically because of all of the stuff I've been introduced to via scanlation. If I didn't get into reading scanlations, I very likely would never have developed a manga collecting addiction like I have now.
The more corps cry about sales and shit lost to piracy, the more I pirate their stuff out of spite

Dex-chan lover
Do they even get the fact that they get more exposure when their stuff is pirated in other languages online, then when it just rots in their warehouses because the language is not compatible with a large portion of the otoku masses?
Besides from all the pics of manga collections I've seen, it doesn't appear they have any shortages of fans buying their hard copy stuff.

Contributor
Mangadex is fine.
Because it's the only agregator who dont host official translations, the admins and mods are really good (and the people here) are really good to avoid any trouble.

Kakao cant do shit against mangadex, they can against others agregators like manganelo or mangakakalot, but if one of these is taken down, a copy/paste will release one hour after, so it's useless.

Dex-chan lover
when was the last "purging" happened again? Back when Stone.to was on their toes?

Kakao being hazard again :kek:

Double-page supporter
RP: few seconds
TL: 1h to 1h30 for a ~30pages chapter
PR: 30min to 1h for a ~30pages chapter
RD: Takes the most time ~4h
TS: ~1h30min (edited)
QC: the time you make to read a ~30pages chapter + ~5min
For real? 30 pages TL done in 2 hours.

Hard for me to believe this even if the person doing the TL is professional.

Contributor
Mangadex is fine.
Because it's the only agregator who dont host official translations, the admins and mods are really good (and the people here) are really good to avoid any trouble.

Kakao cant do shit against mangadex, they can against others agregators like manganelo or mangakakalot, but if one of these is taken down, a copy/paste will release one hour after, so it's useless.
Tachiyomi didn't even host anything yet p.cock still went after it. So why would not hosting officials stop them from going after mangadex (it doesn't).

Sure you can argue that they have no case and that MD has done nothing wrong... However, the thing about lawsuits is that they tend to favor the side with deeper pockets.

Power Uploader
I hope this question is ok here (if not mods feel free to delete): are there any other reading apps like Tachiyomi on Android that support Bato and Mangadex? 2 most used extensions in my library and they got removed. It's not the end of the world and MD is very accessible on mobile as well, it's just reading app like Tachiyomi is super convenient in keeping all my reading in one place. Or should I just stick with Firefox mobile + uBlock origin for my illegal readings again?

Thank you.

Kotatsu: https://github.com/KotatsuApp/Kotatsu

Contributor
Kinda wonder if this(the Tachiyomi DMCA abuse) motivates sone to really dig deep into Kakao's dirt and leak it.
You don't have to dig at all. Its well known that Kakao works their creators to the breaking point and beyond as well as screwing them over with contracts. (see solo leveling' artist, Roxanna's artist, Sound of Bread's creator. etc)

Dex-chan lover
You don't have to dig at all. Its well known that Kakao works their creators to the breaking point and beyond as well as screwing them over with contracts. (see solo leveling' artist, Roxanna's artist, Sound of Bread's creator. etc)
While that can certainly be used for awareness campaigns, I did think about dirt that would not be liked the south Korean Government or their business partners.

Users who are viewing this thread