Kakao Entertainment's newest piracy proposal (Tachiyomi died)

Read an article today about Kakao Entertainment's latest proposal to tackling piracy and it seems to be directed towards MD. They apparently "know" who the owner of the site is and are actively seeking to out them and other highly involved suspects. Kakao seems to be pushing for other prominent manga and web novel companies to join them in this proposal.

Wouldn't name the site other than calling it site M but the statistics are about right with Dex's. I know that Dex has withstood a lot of similar attempts through the years but considering how pushy this year has been with legal notices, I'm a bit worried.

Here's the article if you want to read it: https://m.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20231203000040

Staff
Super Moderator
Wouldn't name the site other than calling it site M but the statistics are about right with Dex's. I know that Dex has withstood a lot of similar attempts through the years but considering how pushy this year has been with legal notices, I'm a bit worried.
There are lots of sites that match "M.." (repo taken down because of legal troubles) :dogkek:

Last edited:
Contributor
"Based on the number of page views and fees charged per episode, the scale of losses inflicted globally by M every month is estimated to be around 3 trillion won ($2.29 billion). The figure did not take into account the profits reaped by secondary derivative content creation, Kakao added."

:thonk:

I think they are bullshiting a little.

"According to Kakao, the website logged some 15 billion page views as of this October. About 20,000 Japanese and 7,000 Korean manga contents are found to be in circulation on the website, and some 10,000 groups are involved in the translation of the works, Kakao said."

Like MD is a mafia managing all of this network of people to gain money...

Ngl if I didn't know MD I would think you are Yakuza guys...or at least Napolitans!

Sorry Aniki. :salute:

Dex-chan lover
Kakao's proposal includes constant monitoring and blocking of illegal postings on global portal sites such as Google and social media platforms, as well as a covert crackdown on illegal websites and translation communities.
So, copystrike everything, and also deploy their own 'hackers'. This should be interesting.

Dex-chan lover
"Based on the number of page views and fees charged per episode, the scale of losses inflicted globally by M every month is estimated to be around 3 trillion won ($2.29 billion). The figure did not take into account the profits reaped by secondary derivative content creation, Kakao added."

:thonk:

I think they are bullshiting a little.

"According to Kakao, the website logged some 15 billion page views as of this October. About 20,000 Japanese and 7,000 Korean manga contents are found to be in circulation on the website, and some 10,000 groups are involved in the translation of the works, Kakao said."

Like MD is a mafia managing all of this network of people to gain money...

Ngl if I didn't know MD I would think you are Yakuza guys...or at least Napolitans!

Sorry Aniki. :salute:
iu

Dex-chan lover
"The figure did not take into account the profits reaped by secondary derivative content creation, Kakao added."
Are they targeting AMVs and TikTok edits next??

"... some 10,000 groups are involved in the translation of the works, Kakao said."
So it's both an aggregate and scanlator-friendly website? Yup it's definitely Mbato.to.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
https://torrentfreak.com/dhs-hsi-as...-of-worlds-largest-manga-webtoon-site-240102/

An update to the story.

After naming the site for the first time, the statement reveals that the operator of ‘Shelter’ was arrested following cooperation between the Ministry of Culture’s Copyright Crime and Scientific Investigation Unit, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) in the United States, and the Korea Copyright Protection Agency.

“The operator of the ‘shelter’ site, which was visited by about 21.7 million people (according to SimilarWeb) in ’23, was provisionally found to have earned about 340 million won [$35 million] in advertising revenue,” the statement notes, adding that the platform illegally shared almost 27,000 titles causing “significant damage” to the publishing industry.

Users who are viewing this thread