Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku - Vol. 2 Ch. 18 - Lili or Einar

Oh god pleaaaaaaase football guy don't be a jerk to Akira, she really doesn't need it right now :(

Dex-chan lover
weirdly enough the dad could be waaaaayyyyyyy worst, while he still thinks that ''its just a phase'', he could more forceful about her hair and the uniform
was it him or the mom that got her the male uniform at the beginning of the manga? i cant remember, but hey, it could be worse, hopefully he becomes more supportive on the future

Damn father... He's like a more intelligent version of the one I've got.

Her father is trying to help her, but is actually harming her. Classic ignorance at its prime

Fed-Kun's army
I'm really liking the crappy father character. In most of these sorts of series, the anti-LGBT parent is a mustache twirling villain who hates anything that is non-normal. And that does happen sometimes, but it's more common in 2019 for parents to be "supportive", but not really understand, leading to them saying or doing shitty things. Dad is worried Akira may de-transition, so he's preventing her from fully transitioning, dispite hair being way simpler to reverse than any medical transition.

This leads to today's Akira having way more problems to protect hypothetical 20-something Akira from potential embarrassment. And I doubt it will do that since she's already wearing a girl uniform.

The title, "Lili or Einar" is a reference to Lili Elbe, a transgender woman born Einar Wegener, who is one of the first people to have transitioned. She has an autobiography called Man into Woman, and a book and film inspired by her life entitled The Danish Girl.

Contributor
Of course the Akira-centric chapter is going make me Feel All The Things.
BTW you're allowed to be angry at someone like the dad who's telling you to erase your identity, even if they're saying it from a place of concern and wanting you to do well in life. They're the one who needs to change, not you Akira!!!

Fed-Kun's army
"so that you can go back to being a boy if you regret it" ..... um.... its called getting a haircut? and theres nothing wrong with guys having long hair, so if she regrets it later she can explain the pics of her with long hair as "oh, yea, i liked long hair in the past"

Hm... I think the guy calling akira "juice-chan" might not actually be so bad. He seems to genuinely like Akira somewhat, but is just conscious of how to fit into the group? I wonder what will happen. It would be nice to see what his real colours are like.

Double-page supporter
i dont understand... if it was hormones we were talking about i can see how a parent might react in an ignorant and insensitive way, but hair?? YOU CAN CUT YOUR HAIR LATER. for pictures, just say you once grew out your hair when you were like, what, 16? no one will bat an eye

im guessing dad lets her shave, right? HOW IS IT ANY DIFFERENT FROM THAT. this is such bogus logic, and im not sure if it is on purpose

Dex-chan lover
I think what the dad means is like he doesn't want her to regret or make 'impluse' decision? like giving her chance to think throughly, if she actually want to become a girl and indeed she doesnt regret it, or just I'm a girl then after the change she will regret it.

Like I mean from what I read he want to say if you survive the ordeal from other people the way you are now you can proceed to next step, if you cant take a pride and said I'm a girl meanwhile looking like a boy, how can she survive in future when she changed wholely as a girl?

I think the father knew Akira is very passive, he want her to overcome herself, and stand on her own?
If you stay like this in future you will be crushed, along like that.

He doesn't want Akira regret it after it become irrevisible.

I know hair can be cut, but operation? no.
So...think as hair a permanent thing first along like that.
He doesn't want Akira doing it halfway, it's better to set the foundation now smtg like that??
I mean he asked her properly, she can't answer, that's why he doesn't agree.
I think he will agree when Akira found the answer.

Idk did I misinterpreted it?
Maybe I'm wrong.

But the bad thing is, Akira felt bad, since she doesn't look like a girl which she wants now, she feel weird.

Dex-chan lover
You can call the dad ignorant all you want, of course he's ignorant about this subject. He wasn't raised in a future when people have already become more tolerant. He was raised in the past, where it was even more okay to judge people for differences than it is even now. You can't just flush that kind of shit out of your system because you want to.

Your racist granny isn't going to reach enlightenment some random Tuesday and stop being racist. It's been in her too long. This kind of thing is uncharted and stormy waters for the people dealing with it and the ones around them. Not everyone is going to handle everything involved 100% perfectly.

The dad does raise a kind of valid point inside of all of that too.
I think the father knew Akira is very passive, he want her to overcome herself, and stand on her own?
This was part of my impression of what he was saying too, more or less. He's just worried about his child who seems fairly likely to be hurt a lot going down this particular path. Maybe he's not dealing with that in the perfect way, but he's a human and perfect we ain't. We can be ignorant and make mistakes even when our heart is in the right place, but you shouldn't ignore the good intentions completely. This is the kind of person you try to help them understand where you're coming from, but Akira lacks the confidence for that.

Users who are viewing this thread