Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - Vol. 13 Ch. 110 - Swimming at the Beach

Dex-chan lover
Appreciated the TL notes, great work as ever.
Takagi seems to just get cuter with every chapter.

TSP

Group Leader
All right, if you insist on doing this again this month...

No, we do not "miss" words. We either omit them or rework them so the information is there, even if it's not in the same exact form as the original.
Yes, if you literally translate the text it becomes "I'm with Sumire-chan and everyone else (my other friend(s))"
The problem is that we don't know who the other friend is, or perhaps if there are others off-screen, we don't know if the word "friend" should be plural.
Although the latter interpretation is not super likely, so it's best to assume that the only other friend is the one that we can actually see.

In English, you don't mention one single name. You either say "My friends (and where they are from)", or in smaller numbers,
you mention everyone's name, except because we don't know the name of the other friend, we can't say "I'm with Sumire-chan and XXX-chan."
The fact that this specific character is at the beach is not important information, the important information is wrapped in the fact that they
are her friends.

Are you going to point out every bit of text we "miss" every month? This is starting to feel like harassment, honestly.

@TSP
Well, if you think it that way, just remember that the ponytail girl name is Sumire and I'll be fine.

Great job to the team. I love when translators put on Translation Notes explaining their choices even (especially) when those aren't needed for the understanding of the chapter. It's so fun learning about the translation process and trying to figure out how it would've gone if it was translated into other languages.

Keep up the good work

TSP

Group Leader
We have been translating this series for 3 years; we know who all the characters are without needing to be reminded of them.
Even if we didn't, Japanese refers to people in the third person so it's easy to keep track.

Even if the author was super weird and didn't write his dialog like that, we have enough integrity not to steamroll over sections we don't understand,
but actually endeavor to be as sure as possible that our interpretation is an acceptable one according to our philosophy of what translation is.
We explained what that philosophy is during the last linguistic misunderstanding in this series that you commented on if you need to reference it again.

@TSP I think you did a great job and greatly appreciate the translator notes.

TSP

Group Leader
@endless

Don't worry, we don't, but we get a lot of comments like the one below.
At the very least, if the comment is made on this site pinging us or on our Discord, we like to be responsive,
but we think we'll block this person for now because they told us they don't know Japanese and they reference other
translations to make comments on our translation. Not very useful feedback!

Double-page supporter
@Heimdal
I'm just imagining some weeb looking in a mirror with his laptop with a notepad and thesaurus.com open.

@TSP
For what it's worth, you guys seem to be the ideal translation group. I think it's clear that Literal translations < Accurate / Sensical "Spiritual" translations. Not to mention, there isn't much ego bs either that you see with a lot of groups.

Dex-chan lover
god tier translation job
she's playing heavy now, bringing out the big guns

People need to understand that you don't translate Japanese word by word, it's always about making an interpretation that has the same meaning

Dex-chan lover
Is it just me, or did Takagi seem really out of character this chapter?

Assuming she actually wrote 'suki dayo' in the sand, this is a far cry from her previous behavior. Before she would just bait and switch Nishikata, letting him think that she liked him but never outright confirming it.

However, writing the message in the sand was a bold move on her part. One could argue that she intentionally wrote the message close to the water so the waves would wash it away. But the only reason Nishikata didn't see it was because his friend distracted him. There is no way she could have predicted that. Unless...

What if Takagi has become so fed up with the pace of this manga that she has become self-aware, and is now trying to force some progress in spite of the wishes of the author?

That would be such an interesting story for a manga, now that I think about it.

Group Leader
@RaimundoBruno
I thought the whole point of Yukari getting married being such a big deal was that she was the last one to get married of the three.

Users who are viewing this thread