Kingdom - Ch. 794 - Leaving The Roots Intact

I am a little bit confused why was he acting like he had a ace in the hole, if he only had to flee from battle. This instead proof that unlike his established image (of him being an optimal strategist) he is completely unaware of what was happening. He didn't even gave one single command during this whole fight...
That's what's been annoying me the most. It's fine for a character to be outsmarted, but Ousen hasn't done anything for this entire battle. His subordinates made all the decisions while he was staring blankly without giving any orders. That's the worst depiction of a general during a battle for the entire story. Did the author just forgot to give him something to do?

Ousen wasn't nerfed. He silent because Riboku took initiative very early on, removing Shin/Ouhon out of equation, and baiting Akou.
All in order to have his trump card Shibashou bum rush straight at Ousen. Not much he can do at this point. All his generals were doing the right thing, and rushing back as well to protect, aint no extra special tactics he could use there.
He trusted his generals on the field, and they even made it back in time, but he just underestimated what an uber trump card / martial monster Shibashou turned out to be.

Also, I don't think this shit is over, not by a long shot. They mention at start of this arc that this was the bloodiest battle ever right? I don't think this so far qualifies. Sure, quite a few generals went down, but most of the armies (except Ousens) are pretty much intact so far.

Dex-chan lover
This battle felt like the first time I read about the Battle of Pharsalus. Two epic and renown strategists and tactician, the legendary Julius Caesar against his supposed equal "Pompey the Great". Only to find out that the battle was won with such simplicity and ease that I felt SO disappointed.

But then again, when learning more about other amazing famous military leaders in history, even the great lose to the most simple battles. This time it was Ousen's turn.

Dex-chan lover
Ousen wasn't nerfed. He silent because Riboku took initiative very early on, removing Shin/Ouhon out of equation, and baiting Akou.
All in order to have his trump card Shibashou bum rush straight at Ousen. Not much he can do at this point. All his generals were doing the right thing, and rushing back as well to protect, aint no extra special tactics he could use there.
He trusted his generals on the field, and they even made it back in time, but he just underestimated what an uber trump card / martial monster Shibashou turned out to be.

Also, I don't think this shit is over, not by a long shot. They mention at start of this arc that this was the bloodiest battle ever right? I don't think this so far qualifies. Sure, quite a few generals went down, but most of the armies (except Ousens) are pretty much intact so far.
The cards at the end literally said that the Ousen's army was annihilated, and Shibashou's army also got wrecked a lot, they only won because Shibashou himself could pull through and reach Ousen.

That's what's been annoying me the most. It's fine for a character to be outsmarted, but Ousen hasn't done anything for this entire battle. His subordinates made all the decisions while he was staring blankly without giving any orders. That's the worst depiction of a general during a battle for the entire story. Did the author just forgot to give him something to do?
Yeah this is me too. When Kanki lost badly he did so because he was forced to do things that he wasn’t shown to be good at in the past. But Ousen is supposed to be the conservative general who always has a plan. He can lose but it makes no sense for him to lose like this given what he’s supposed to be good at.

Still less dumb than him starving Shin to make him go super saiyan though

Dex-chan lover
So ousan is only good if there are other key players on the map that can hold their own and not rely on his strategy. For his strategies to actually work. Cause dude just lost so many people from his army.

These last two arcs have been complete wastes. What has come from these two arcs?? Nothing!! All these turns and twists in the plot just to come to the same conclusion which is defeat not once, but twice. Now we are all going to have wait another year or more before the plot moves any further ahead. Gonna have to sit through a hundred more chapters of, "riboku is going to defeat us" "oh no, what are we gonna do" "we need to get stronger" * gets bs plot armor on the verge of losing* finally wins. Come onnnnn man, they havent even conquered one country how tf are they gonna go through the rest in a timely manner unless they plan on finishing the manga before then. They are either going to have to time skip or fuck the pacing up. I get the mc cant win every time but two consecutive losses where they get there asses kicked is just pure torture for readers.

Ousen just looks terrible. He just sat still as his army collapsed around him. If he's supposed to be a great general then show it even if he's going to lose the battle.

This arc shows the limitation of Hara's writing ability for battle scnario.

He needed Ousen to lose big because that was what happened in history but could not come up with a good scenario for it. First Akou took the obvious bait from Riboku throwing whatever grand plan Ousen might had out the window and he could not improvise. When SBS and his army attacked Ousen's army and proved to be stronger than anticipated, instead of ordering a retreat to regroup and cut his his loss, Ousen bet everything on a huge and very risky life/death gamble that not only Souou and Akou would reach him in time but they will be able to beat SBS even though he had no info on SBS's max strength and did not actually have any backup plan in the event they failed.

In short, Ousen lost this big in mere half a day because he acted out of character by taking a gamble when the odds were very much against him with predictably disastrous results.

And through this, Ousen did not even wield his glaive and the only things he had to say were "I win" only to look like an idiot after and concern for Denrimi who had not done anything impressive onscreen.

Bad arc overall. If not for his feats from previous arcs, Ousen would be a fraud. I get that Hara has a limited number of brilliant battle strategies and tactics he could come up with and has to save them for later arcs but come on.
completely agree, seems like a character assassination for the need of riboku to win. Since when has ousen ever gambled on such a risky play especially with a new force in the opposing army that he has 0 intel on. Ousen has been shown in previous battles to adapt his plans and to have enough long term thinking to see ends of battles like the gyou arc where he redirected the supply chain. But everything in this arc went up in smoke he did literally nothing. I think even in real history it was more of a draw between qin and zhao and there was major casualties on both sides but for whatever reason Hara decided to give a super sayian to aizen riboku and freeze ousens brain the entire arc so the qin army gets slaughtered. Very questionable writing choice.

Users who are viewing this thread