Koushaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta node, Mental Otome na Ore wa, Zenryoku de Onnanoko wo Tanoshimimasu - Ch. 12.1 - Despairing of my hobbies, I …

Dex-chan lover
I mean the title and bio straight up says the MC was always a women trapped in a man's body... and Japan doesn't really have many legal protections for gay people much less transgender people. Hell, a quick google search informed me that up until October of last year transgender people were sterilized as part of the transition which is just awful. Luckily it seems that during covid awareness for it was ramped up a lot and public opinion is in favor of LGBT rights (same sex marriage is still fighting a rocky battle)
Nah the "girl inside" refers to his/her very feminine hobby (dolls and stuff).
I mean, in chapter 1 we know that he/she actually had a girlfriend before reincarnating.
Minor spoiler, but they were actually quite into each other, since their hobbies match a lot.
So no, he/she's not gay.

This chapter suggests that he was not just a woman in a mans body though. But actually additionally also into men. Which is sad, would much have preferred if any future romance sub-plot ended up being yuri (as a result of him genderbending to girl) and all men been ignored (by mangaka) in favour of CGDCT.
In this discord server I'm in there's this dude who's married (to a woman) and also openly read futa/trap/some yaoi stuff, so no, liking yaoi stuff doesn't make you gay.

Dex-chan lover
In this discord server I'm in there's this dude who's married (to a woman) and also openly read futa/trap/some yaoi stuff, so no, liking yaoi stuff doesn't make you gay.
Attesting the statement. Some people, me included, just likes seeing couples being lovey dovey regardless of their gender. It nourishes the heart.

Dex-chan lover
I know, I too enjoy reading some futa/yaoi stuff (and plenty of trap/gb stuff :D edit: if you want to get into those genres too, there was some group here on MD that had a rather good taste. Unsure which one it was, but I think it was "danke für lesen"? They sometimes flood the latest-updates feed with a batch of oneshots, and have a clear bias in genres :smug: ). But this chapter explicitly said it became a new fetish of his, which is per definition [of the word fetish] sexual.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Easy to sew... compared to what? Getting those not-quite-spherical shapes right isn't easy. And some of those shapes are just as complex as normal plushies.

Elicca seems like someone who knows the value of casting fist. Her design looks like a mish-mash of several cultures.

Not sure how she can rationalise that BL is so much more acceptable than yuri or bara... Sure got some kind of goggles on.

This series look like it's late Renaissance. Scissors are time-appropriate for that. They've existed for ages, including the "modern" design with two blades joined with a screw. Pencils of that shape are probably Industrial, though, which seems a bit late, but considering it's a fantasy world, it's close enough.
Easy to sew because of fewer separate parts

Dex-chan lover
Based on what I'm seeing, it seems like he's admitting that doll/plush collecting are more stereotypically "girl" things, and now he is in the body of one, he more inclined to pursue his hobbies without restraint or hide them.
isn't that he entire point of this manga?

Dex-chan lover
She literally making a fumo

image.png

Come on! I want Bara for the knights, not some fruity BL crap.

Also, @LGBT discussion. I resent the idea that having feminine interests makes you trans. All I see is that he likes feminine things and wishes it was more acceptable to have them. Nothing about him being uncomfortable in his own body or having any kind of dysphoria. Conflating the two is pretty shitty, reducing gender to aesthetics.
You're giving off the vibes of a person who goes up to trans women and asks "but couldn't you just be a feminine man instead? Being feminine isn't wrong you know? How do you know you're trans?"

Yeah, you're technically correct, but going off like this leaves a bad impression.

For this series, it doesn't feel like there's all that much emphasis on MCs gender identity (yet?), so at this point I'd argue it's pretty open to interpretation.

Dex-chan lover
Bruh, take it up with the author in this particular case. It's called "Mental Otome" even in the original Japanese. Otome means "maiden". Miranda outright says near the beginning of the story she was always a girl inside. This is about as clear-cut as it gets. (You don't need to experience dysphoria to be trans either, FYI)

Not saying I don't agree that some get overzealous with speculating the identity of gender bender characters and conflating aesthetic with identity in a way that can accidentally erase NBs and GNCs, but I think we can let them have something literally called "Mental Otome". You can argue it's meant to be figurative but you can't argue the literal interpretation of the literal title isn't also a valid read.

EDIT: Well, obviously you "can", but not without looking very silly indeed.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This chapter suggests that he was not just a woman in a mans body though. But actually additionally also into men. Which is sad, would much have preferred if any future romance sub-plot ended up being yuri (as a result of him genderbending to girl) and all men been ignored (by mangaka) in favour of CGDCT.

Nah the "girl inside" refers to his/her very feminine hobby (dolls and stuff).
I mean, in chapter 1 we know that he/she actually had a girlfriend before reincarnating.
Minor spoiler, but they were actually quite into each other, since their hobbies match a lot.
So no, he/she's not gay.
You do realize that there are trans people who before transitioning were into people of the opposite gender and thus after transitioning now pursue people of their current gender, right? Transitioning doesn't suddenly change your preference or automatically mean you were originally gay

this series is such a cute love letter to the venn diagram of otaku hobbies... I'm so fond of it.

On page 7 the MC mentions "acryl"-- is that short for acrylic [standees, keychains, etc]? god ive seen SO many acrylic standee merch styles lately, lol. i prefer them to keychains bc my clumsy ass always breaks keychains by bashing them on something or another, tho i think I like nuis the best overall...

Dex-chan lover
Not sure how she can rationalise that BL is so much more acceptable than yuri or bara... Sure got some kind of goggles on.
If you treat it as about popularity, it's true depending on the context. Just browse through the BL and GL categories in most of the current manga/webtoon reader apps. BL dominates something like 10:1 in terms of what gets licensed and gets views.

Doesn't really mean they're "acceptable" or "normal" by people's standards but if you're talking about what will sell merch...

Dex-chan lover
You do realize that there are trans people who before transitioning were into people of the opposite gender and thus after transitioning now pursue people of their current gender, right? Transitioning doesn't suddenly change your preference or automatically mean you were originally gay
You are hamfisting a topic that is far more nuanced in a story that makes light of the Gender Bender tag.

Dex-chan lover
Man, stop it with the LGBT talk. Many otaku hobbies have girly shit in it, but they're not gay. Many like dollfies, fumos, nesoberi, but they're not gay. I have dollfies too and like cute clothes for them, but I still like girls. Iirc in one chapter our mc did thought about political marriage but decided to not think about it. Same with the prince when it's obvious he is flirting.

Made me look back to previous chapters, ch2 page 26 should be your answer what the mc thinks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread