Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami - Vol. 7 Ch. 55

Dex-chan lover
@Tatsuya-Kai Err, did you mistake the person you're responding to? I haven't mentioned serfs. Regardless, serfs were common and/or the majority until the renaissance period, which is the end of the middle ages. So, them being uncommon during that period is really not quite right.

@Misticsan @Thet19
MC doesn't need to win over the loyalty of these folks. They're duty/status/financially-bound to the MC's house. While they're free to leave, they still need permission to do so. The better choice for them was to continue with their job, but petition MC's father for a replacement, which they didn't do. Instead, they outright defied the acting lord without cause.

Let's talk authority and influence. MC is the acting lord and daughter of the fief lord, an individual from one of the most powerful noble houses in the kingdom. The fief lord is a Duke and also the prime minister of the kingdom. MC's mother have the favor of the queen dowager and possess enough influence on her own to give the queen the middle finger. MC's grandfather is the most prominent hero and general of the kingdom.

These folks didn't defied a 'young girl', they directly and openly went against all of the above with their little act. Even if MC decides to not do anything to them, as long as they do not return, they'll be completely f***ed. And the guy that brought out the church as an excuse can go jump, since the church was totally f***ed for this situation, and he thought it's a good idea to use that? 🤣

For a second I thought gramps died, the it occurred to me it might be her paternal gramps. I was gonna be sad if gramps died off camera.

Dex-chan lover
@IMACOP
I may have gotten the wrong person on that if so sorry, however i still stand by what i said on serfs, though again it depended on what region you were in, if i remember right serfdom was a problem in eastern europe up until the early 18th century, but in western europe it was more sporadic and depended on the region and regional lords.

If i remember correctly, the irony of this is that the black death played a part in this due to the reduction in population, people could demand more rights.

Dex-chan lover
@Tatsuya-Kai Yeah, what you said seems to be right. Just the timing isn't. Serfdom's decline was at the end of the middle ages, which is the renaissance era, which is also the end of the black death (as you've mentioned). All this is around the 1500s (renaissance). Serfdom is common in the middle ages (around 1000-1500s), the medieval age, so to speak. The end of the middle ages is also the time when kingdoms change from Feudalism to Absolute Monarchy. I have no idea about serfs over in east europe though, that part of the world is not my thing. 😜

Dex-chan lover
@IMACOP
Well to be fair, it's not a exact number, we really have only estimates on when it ended, it's also a matter of measure, because serfdom didn't stay static during the middle ages either, with people essentially gaining more rights over time while still being considered serfdom.
But yeah it generally is agreed to have ended in the late middle ages, though we're not 100% on that.

Dex-chan lover
@Red225 Immeadiately turning to death is not the option, likewise, did you read what I wrote at all? I said examples if they were serfs, these guys weren't serfs. Likewise, this a fantasy world, and she's from the modern era, but the fact that they're in a preindustrial economy and a fuedal management, you can't use some semblance of modern management with them. There is no democracy, the idea of equal representation is not really a thing, and likewise your thinking of death or maining being the only punishmentsis quite short sighted in how running a fief actually works.

Dex-chan lover
@UnluckyGrape then what would you do? Imprison them with no work? Chain them to their desks and force them to work? Threaten their families? Their reputations? Fines?

Harsh words?

If you want short term results, chaining them down, threatening their families and reputations would get work out of them in the short term. But you'd still get them wanting to escape an abusive master. A threat to reputation is probably the most effective out of that. But it's not a great long term solution and you have to do about half as much work trying to watch out to see if they are trying to screw you over subtly.

Chastising and using binds of honour can be far more effective. Which is what Iris used.

Fed-Kun's army
@IMACOP
MC doesn't need to win over the loyalty of these folks. They're duty/status/financially-bound to the MC's house. While they're free to leave, they still need permission to do so.

After what was said in this chapter, that doesn't seem to be the case. They don't seem to be bound as vassals or serfs to the fiefdom; their posts can be filled by hiring among the Merchants Guild or advertising job positions in the academy, and it is explicitly said that some of them have already gone to other fiefdoms.

They seem to be another thing that also existed in the Middle Ages and beyond: skilled bureaucrats recruited on an individual basis that can freely change lords. Which, as I said, is one of the problems here: the fiefdom is experiencing a brain drain and a good deal of the available workforce is refusing to work. She criticizes that these cowards abandoned their posts but refused to present their notices of resignation (probably expecting her not to keep her post for long after the denounciation and resume working under a different administrator). However, as she herself lampshaded, the option to resign officially is still there. If they really don't want to work for her, she can't force them.

The current plot also stresses that Iris and the fiefdom are still in trouble. They thwarted one plot, but the series has been pointing out that one great victory doesn't mean trouble is over. Church reforms aren't going to be easy, their past prosperity has taken a huge hit, rival factions are still around, and there's a very dangerous conspiracy going around. Not to mention the risk of a succession crisis (CKII flashbacks incoming). The fiefdom doesn't have the luxury of alienating more helping hands.

Fed-Kun's army
Brilliant. And also correct. No matter if these civil servants like their lord or not, their ultimate duty is to serve the people. And by neglecting their duties just so they could protest an imaginary loss of trust (considering that the Darryl church has now been exposed as corrupt), they have have abandoned that duty.

People wanting punishment no matter what in this comment section shows why 90% of the population is not cut out to be politicians or statesmen, lol.

She's not being idealistic as someone confusedly stated. She's being pragmatic. She doesn't have other educated human resources at hand, she has to work with what's there. Whether she likes them or not is irrelevant when it comes to the results she wants.

One of the reasons why I loved the novel (and the reason why some readers hated it) is that as far as I remember this novel doesn't have the typical intellectual laziness of writing convenient plot developments for the MC out of thin air whenever the author writes his characters into a corner that other Isekai stories have. She never manages to progress beyond what she can fix as a leader, and she doesn't magically get capable people out of nowhere who just happen to be able to fix her latest issue.

I don't know if the manga adaptation will properly portray just how much she agonizes over having to make tough decisions.

Dex-chan lover
I think this proves that Iris is growing. She was always firm when presenting her ideas, but that battle with the church really damaged her mentally. It is awesome to see her growth without changing how she really is. Some authors give their main character growth in exchange for a scene that contradicts everything the protagonist stands for. I like this manga a lot, and this is one of the many reasons.

I luuuvvvv her so much cuz she's reaaally strong... It is quite obvious that being young can make others underestimate a person and they are ridiculous, utterly ridiculous 😉

Dex-chan lover
@Red225 I'm going to make this very clear: no one has argued that? If anything, your first post made it seem like you were insinuating that what Iris did was ineffectional. Most who responded wrote their responses seeminly based off of that interpretation of how you worded your words. Likewise your sebsequent point here very much falls under what I just outlined? By holding their reputation? Via being publically acknoweldged both of their conduct and the consequences of the actions of those who did not come back?

Dex-chan lover
I understand that she is short of hand and this farce would save her workforce, at least in short term.

But I don't understand why they just stay at home? If they are unable to leave that is understandable, but shouldn't be all of them. Stay at home seem to be a lost in both outcomes. If she lost, they are deserters but not really show loyalty to newlords. If she win, they still are deserters. They might even get punished before her trial by her servants.

Also, if they doing that much, isn't it better to just resign? The whole thing seems halfa**es.

Btw, her speech is good for rousing, but fall flat fast in face of challenge. Just throw them classic short-term vs long-term benefits and they would splinter, backstabbing everyone they can, knowingly or unknowingly, for their own beliefs of greater good. They just lack solidarity nor common goal.

Also, some punishment is required or other civil servants would desert too next time. Though that might be later.

people need to realize this is just her gaining back their trust and loyalties.
Group dynamics people cmon.

Dex-chan lover
Yikes. The debating in the comment section is more intense than the debate in the manga, lmao.
Anyways, got a felling that request for help at the Academy is gonna bring that one dumb noble lacky that was questioning the FMC into the picture.

Dex-chan lover
Surprising amount of discussion in the comments, but I suppose this isn't your typical manga either.

Users who are viewing this thread