Kowloon Generic Romance

Every 'answer' just leads to more questions in this story, I feel like the author is probably going to lose control if they keep adding more plot threads to unravel.

Fed-Kun's army
Is there multiple romances or just a main one? And how good is it so far?

Group Leader
Just found this today, romance is not really my genre but this caught my eye because >Hong Kong.

Thoughts so far: It's odd to see how some Japanese think of Hong Kong. Reminds me of "Kowloon Kurosawa", the (Japanese) guy who made Hong Kong 97. Also, I'm aware it's how it's referred to in the raws and it would be a mouthful to say "Kowloon Walled City" every time it's mentioned, but "Kowloon" in the manga refers to the walled city, not the whole area in Hong Kong. Kowloon is a nice area, please visit if you ever come to Hong Kong. The Kowloon Walled City though doesn't have a great reputation with the locals, afaik. I'm sure there are people who lived there who have great nostalgic memories of it, but from most perspectives, it was not a nice place to "live normally".

Really minor nitpick: The place names in Chapter 1, page 15 are transliterated to English using the Japanese pronunciations of the kanji. While it is a Japanese manga, place setting is in Hong Kong, which uses Cantonese and it would be pronounced differently. Though I don't think the author knew much about Cantonese either.

Whew. Quite surprised right there. I didn't know what I was going to read until a few chapters goes on. The mystery quite makes us wonder if it will ever be solved. I, myself is not quite confident that the truth will uncover more surprises for us, readers. I have a feeling that even if the truth is disclosed, it prbly would be an anticlimatic ending... or not. Nah, I will patiently wait until this series ends. Thank you for translating this one

Group Leader
@u2cyute
First time I've seen a manga take place in somewhere like Hong Kong much less Kowloon. Pretty nice setting.
There was an interesting antecedent in a miniarc of a great underrated manga named Desert Rose
https://mangadex.org/chapter/254396/3
(highly recommending reading it all btw)

@Fugutron Good choice, a lot of other city pop songs or 80s HK pop would fit greatly.
The one featured in Ghost In The Shell 95 comes to my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM0M6wXq0Oc

@imperator-sky nothing comes to mind. You're right that this art style is great. Why isn't this licensed yet? Surely it would make a huge splash in the western market? I have never seen anything like this, let alone romance this top tier.

Fall in love with the storyline, art style n the setting. I just love overall characteristic potrayed by every characters. Looking forward to read more! Thank you for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
This author is so underrated. After the Rain was really good too, but I like this one even better.
I think her greatest strength is depicting very complicated, very specific emotions, and this series has a LOT of that.

Dex-chan lover
This is amazing and anything but generic. There are twists and mysteries and revelations that make you go 'what the fuck just happened?' The characters are great. Their interactions even better. The art is gorgeous, reminiscent of the best 90's manga. This is the most beautiful mixture of modern adult romance and science-fiction dystopia.

10/10 a real diamond, not a zirconia.

Users who are viewing this thread