Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear - Vol. 4 Ch. 36

Aggregator gang
@feha If you generally understand the narrative symbology that bears in media hold, you're probably thinking about something like being strong, standing your ground, having initiative, etc.

Based on Yuna's actions around the orphanage, I'd say that describing her as a bear in a metaphorical sense is quite appropriate. It just so happens that her existence in this story is perpetually tied to this bear identity.

Dex-chan lover
I was going to say stuff about how I like chapters or sidestories from the pov of other characters, but after seeing it got licensed and everything got deleted, now I just feel empty. This wasn’t a particularly good isekai, but I rather liked it. Sad.

Group Leader
@Midoriha
Yes and No. Yes, the scanlation do not needs to be stop completely just because the series got licensed. However, Most scanlation group stop in respect of the author of said series. If you spent months, or years, working on certain series you grow attachment to it. When the time come where the series now licensed, it's best to stop and give the "official" releases to catch up.
It sucks for us readers, but it's the right thing to do.

On the other hand, there will be those who will continue to release the series regardless. Most of the time they do so for the fans or their own ego... or for patreons money. They aren't good or bad. They are just regular readers like the rest of us... with more dedication and time(or lack of sleep) to scanlate the series.

Double-page supporter
Thanks for picking this up! This was such a nice little POV. Made me tear up for sure 😢

Fed-Kun's army
@Midoriha
My main view on scanlations and translations is this
Japan gives 0 shits about the rest of the world, if I buy a manga in america they don't even consider that a sale or a fan over there, I have quite literally not say and while I really like that as it insulates japan from the pc insanity going on to some extent, it's also completely demotivating me from even bothering to buy/go legit in the first place because what I do doesn't matter, hell, even if you import the manga from japan they mark it off as a non sale.

The way they treat me alone, mixed with needing to pay 4-10 times the cost of said manga in japan, and knowing most of what I do will never touch the author, and how many authors of manga with no non japaneses translation have come out and wished death on me for reading their manga instead of seeing a market that needs to be feed makes me not want to support many authors/mangaka out right.

When I do support I tend to do it though merchandise that they get bigger cuts of rather than manga.
hell, we all know kuma is going to take 2-5 years to put out things to where we currently were, why punish us when we are at best an after thought and uncared for as a whole?

Dex-chan lover
This was the ultimate in a useless filler.

We already gotpretty much all of the info, reactions and feelings from previous chapters... this chapter is useless and out of place.

What a waste of energy for the artist.

Dex-chan lover
@Midoriha it's simple, you just made it looks complicated. If they resumed the translation, they can be sued on legal basis/got DMCA strikes, period. It's been happening a lot of times and it's understandable they want to avoid such problem.

Dex-chan lover
@Aretheus ah, that makes sense. I guess I am too used to media instead portraying bears as slow dofuses (pooh), rioting drug addicts (bamse), doofus drug addicts (gummibears (really, that is how its translated in EN?!)), and slow lazy overpowered critters with anger issues (junglebook).
But I am aware of the symbolism you mention too, it is just far from something I think of unless specifically pointed out, and it does indeed make sense with the context.

Dex-chan lover
@feha
@tigerstar186

It's reference to Ch 35, where when they were doing premeal prayer, they were thanking Yuna ("Yuna onee-chan"), who said it's embarrassing so they changed it to Bear ("Kuma onee-chan")

So while the director is writing her diary down, she remember that and change her last line from thanking Yuna-san to thanking Bear onee-chan, because her last line is the same line said for the premeal (クマお姉ちゃんに感謝を - Kuma oneechan ni kansha wo)

Users who are viewing this thread