Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Fed-Kun's army
@kreyton

You should try Pixar movies. That is great CGI. Don't even mention <20 framerate CGI as if it's anything better than mediocre.

... good chapter.

@Darkesidee Pretty long way away, I'd say. As I understand it, she gains the Arachne form in the LN that gets an English release on March 19 . There is a lot of content between where the manga is and the end of the most recent novel.

@greyhud90 I disagree, it's explained in this chapter that she is hostile to those who are hostile to her and good to those who are good to her. I don't remember if this was in the manga or not, but she explained that she feels virtually no obligation to humans anymore; and why would she?

The Children she leaves behind follow this creed, too. If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. If you are in danger, they might consider helping you. If you, however, torch their webs (like these humans did to her nest), then they will kill you.

It's completely retaliatory.

EY- YO I LIKEY THE SUMMARY B-BUT IS THIS FOR THE SQUEAMY SMEASHY KIND OF FELLOW I CANT EVEN DEAL WITH MORE THAN 6 LEGGED drawings much less a mofo spider. So yay or nay

I guess I'll be the non-sociopath to explain to you psychos why it's weird to kill a bunch of people for burning your home to the ground and attacking you. See, as far as Spider-Protagonist believes, they're a person that's reincarnated as a spider. Their entire motivation from the beginning has been to get back in with the humans and return to a normal life. Now, they should be completely understanding that the humans view them as a monster because, hey, they woke up and saw creepy spider monsters and freaked the fuck out originally as well. Instead, Spider-Protagonist flipped out because their web-home was destroyed and then murdered some sapient people. Sure, it was an accident at first, because they're so weak.. but you'd think anyone who really wanted to get into the good graces of humans would have backed off and played harmless friendly spider monster until they got the point. Instead Spider-Protagonist wipes a few out by accident and then went "Shit, these things are buckets of exp. Better just kill the rest!" Now Spider-Protagonist is a monster for real. I know you like this manga, hell, I do too, but just because they "Destroyed her home and attacked her first!" doesn't give her the right to straight up murder a bunch of humans. As far as they're concerned she's a dangerous monster until proven differently, and beyond their first completely unplanned meeting she made zero attempt to prove otherwise.

If somebody shows up at my home, burns the door down, and clearly isn't friendly... they aren't gonna have a good time.
If there was a way to communicate and get everybody calm ASAP, and turns out it was an accident, and restitution will be made, that's one thing. But when my life is on the line, or my family, or anyone I care about, and the intruder happens to be a group of people and a clearly hostile force... I have every right and privilege to defend life and home with lethal force.
The only way you I'll accept anyone with the opinion that her killing them off makes her a monster is if I get to see you react to an armed home invasion by a group of thugs, and you neither panic in terror nor start shooting the loaded shotgun you have in hand.

Yes, this would make sense if everyone were human and these were criminal scum kicking in a door with guns to kill and destroy. Nope, they're just normal humans doing human things in high-fantasy adventure world. The Spider-Protagonist believes herself to be a human in spiderform due to isekai shenanigans. The morality of the situation is only clear to her. So deciding to react like a monster is all on her head.

Dex-chan lover
@dejalwm, self defense. If anybody attacks me in my house (its gated) they are getting shot. Whether they are thieves or whatever. Now if I was a giant spider I'd eat em and wouldn't even think twice about it. Also why would a non human care about the lives of humans? Hell most humans don't care about taking other people's lives so???

Dex-chan lover
Okay, so I'm being prepped for a double conclusions to this. Conclusion B better be related to Conclusion A.

Aggregator gang
lets just say she is a teenager who got too much power and just very impulsive in her decision.
She is a spider who can make multiples home in a snap, no reason for her to just go killing to avenge a temporary camp.

@dejalwm
this chapter shows that you're wrong about humans, they're going to "either mindwash and obey or kill in spot" mindset, so playing the diplomat wouldn't work here; also the same humans don't treat well the other sapients beings, like
the summoner guy as a punishment for losing that valuable and strong creatures (for human standard) need to got more, ends killing almost all in a village of goblins (no, they aren't the same that in goblin slayer, but actual sapient green guys), forcing one of the reincarnators (a lil'gob) killing his own new family in order to tame him (mindbroke to re-educate); sadly didn't works as expected for the fucker and ended killed later

@dejalwm
Good momment to point that since the beginning there're signs that the spider insticts are overwritting her human mind. Don't you remember that she build her first web without knowing how to do it and her body just move by itself? Or how even without detection Kumo was highly skilled to detect attack from her back?
Spider feels the movement of the air with their hair (but in this case Kumo is a hairless spider like blackwidows) but they also can feel little vibrations with their legs.

Yeah, but neither the reader nor the spider-protagonist know the humans are scummy at this point. It's just out of character and against her prior motivations to go on a killing spree at this point. The people equating this to self defense in a modern real world setting cannot seem to separate reality from fantasy. The spider-protagonist is the only one with a clear idea of what is happening. It was up to her to de-escalate the situation, and she failed. I want to believe the author meant for this to show she is losing grips on her "humanity", but all I know is what I've read so far of the manga and the fun little spoilers I've clicked on here. Anyone cheering her on to murder just seems to get off on edge and power fantasy.

I just wish this part had been written better. It would have made a lot more sense if the humans had been a real threat to her life if the author wanted this to be a self defense and righteous murderspree.

Still love reading this, just my stupid opinion.

@dejalwm
Most of the problems that the readers have in the comment sections are because the mangaka was given "creative freedom" and he decided to skip the Side Stories where the worldbuilding and most expositions are. Introducing plot holes and inconsistencies.
Click on the spoiler for more (this isn't a spoiler since is almost sure that the manga won't cover this part due to being it's own plot line)
There's a male student that was reincarnated as a woman, during the story becomes very apparent that his (her) mentality is becoming more femenine little by little. This is something that the novel call "Soul Behavior", when a soul that hasn't been cleanned from it's past life is introduced in another body the soul will adapt to the new body and in this novel the soul is the source of everything that isn't physical (personality, behavior, etc) it ends forcing the mind to bend to it's new body too. So if a man is becoming a woman, How do you think this would affect Kumoko? And because this is "Soul Behavior" and not an attack from the System, Heressy Immunity can't defend Kumo from this.

Users who are viewing this thread