Kuriko to Biyori - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Giant Pancake

Dex-chan lover
As long as this doesn't somehow evolve like Shark-girl did, I think we've got a real winner from this mangaka.

It's so so so so so utterly adorable, makes me want to get married and have kids.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, he married his stepsister?
well he specifically said
"she is not my mother, he is not my father and she is not my sister"
we'll probably find out about his past later on but it won't be 100% wholesome so I'm very interested

Dex-chan lover
Seems there is some mystery to the dad's past going on, some trauma he is repressing from the looks of it.

Good to know this won't just be the usual cooking manga where the author copy pastes recipe books as "plot".

Aggregator gang
aww the giant pancake reminds me of japanese children's book "guri and gura"

Group Leader
The script for this could really use some work, it just screams ESL and I don't think the proofreader did much to improve it. It's not how children or adults speak, you're just literally translating sentences with no concern for how things are said in English.

For example, the first speech box:

That's not my father... that's not my mother...

You don't use "that" to refer to people, you use pronouns, you use some kind of personable language to refer to people.

The one I am spending time with is not even my sister...

This isn't a sentence that people use in English. We don't say "the person I am spending time with".

Oh, Thank you, Sojiro, you are a lifesaver this time.

You're mixing tenses, you'd say "you've been a lifesaver" or "you're a lifesaver", or "you've really helped me this time around" or something like that.

You're just using stock translations for every phrase, and you're not considering how things are read in English or how people speak. You're not actually translating the work. I think you should either familiarise yourself a whole lot more with English, or fire your proofreader.

Dex-chan lover
The script for this could really use some work, it just screams ESL and I don't think the proofreader did much to improve it. It's not how children or adults speak, you're just literally translating sentences with no concern for how things are said in English.

For example, the first speech box:

You don't use "that" to refer to people, you use pronouns, you use some kind of personable language to refer to people.

This isn't a sentence that people use in English. We don't say "the person I am spending time with".

You're mixing tenses, you'd say "you've been a lifesaver" or "you're a lifesaver", or "you've really helped me this time around" or something like that.

You're just using stock translations for every phrase, and you're not considering how things are read in English or how people speak. You're not actually translating the work. I think you should either familiarise yourself a whole lot more with English, or fire your proofreader.
"that's not my father" is grammatically correct. The second sentence is a little wordy but the meaning comes across. The third one is also correct, although a little awkward.

These are incredibly minor things to ask for someone to be fired over.

Group Leader
"that's not my father" is grammatically correct. The second sentence is a little wordy but the meaning comes across. The third one is also correct, although a little awkward.

These are incredibly minor things to ask for someone to be fired over.
Something can be gramatically correct and also not the right wording to use for the context, it's also an issue for you to not understand this. You don't stop at something being a coherent sentence when you decide to go with a line for a translation, you have to take into account the nuances that the author intended, characterisation, flow, and a whole bunch of things when you choose to translate something as something. Stopping at "well it doesn't have grammatical issues" is really, really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread