Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 64 - The Masked Gentleman

Dex-chan lover
Acktually bezoars aren’t testicles, they’re stones which are found in an animal’s gut when they eat an indigestible object, sort of like how a pearl is when an irritant gets inside an oyster and it just builds material around it 🤓🤓🤓
Fun fact: even humans get them, usually from chewing indigestible fibers :fml: (I recall there was some episode of House where it was lupus bezoars all along...and it also showed up in Sandman too)

I wonder from a historical perspective how they ever came to be reputed to have curative powers. This calls for Wikipedia diving :finnawoke:

Dex-chan lover
PHQPyQV.png

if only it were another kind of pomf~

Dex-chan lover
Given the setting is imperial China (Beijing during the Qing dynasty)
It is a fantasy setting. For the Qing period the clothing is off. Not to begin with the hair style, no manchu braid?
Ming is out too, that period was rather intolerant towards foreigners.
Yuan is obviously also out, notably because of the noble titles not being in mongolian.

Seems a fantasy version of Song or so.

Dex-chan lover
Given the setting is imperial China (Beijing during the Qing dynasty), I guess the mandarin ones would be most 'authentic', but having a mix of both always seemed odd to me.

The setting is not meant to be Beijing in the Qing. It's a lot weirder. This is basically a Tang Dynasty that never fell that has evolved culturally into a later Ming state without being influenced by Yuan customs. The capital's geographical location judging from how it's described and how the western ladies and the caravan entered it is more like Chang'an or Luoyang than Beijing.

Dex-chan lover
After speedreading through sites about ox bezoars, it's possible that Maomao's clamor about this supposed "holy grail cure" is just undigested food remains turned into stone and nothing else. I might have ruined it for myself if ever the ox bezoars will be used as an antidote/almighty cure ingredient in this story later on.
As is the case for most chinese "medicine" - complete hokum and spiritualism, without an ounce of reality behind it.

Dex-chan lover
Things are truly heating up.

Jinshi's own "pettiness" aside... Maomao may need to step up or step out... if she plans to live her life.

But hey... the ox balls were a good gift to patch things up... but he got shafted immediately XD.

As is the case for most chinese "medicine" - complete hokum and spiritualism, without an ounce of reality behind it.
Oh you will be surprised... A lot of the high and mighty claims are likely bogus, but there are still plenty of wisdom in folk medicine. The problem is often because research into this field is mostly done in Chinese and not commonly accessible to Western researchers. If I may remind you, the 2015 Nobel prize was inspired by traditional Chinese medicine.

Eastern medicine had been passed down through unreliable means like word of mouth and "family secrets" for literally thousands of years. Some of it is bastardized and severely misused, but the fact some of them still being used mean there is something more to it than just "spiritualism".

https://www.who.int/news-room/featu...tional-medicine-and-continues-to-hold-promise

Aggregator gang
The setting is not meant to be Beijing in the Qing. It's a lot weirder. This is basically a Tang Dynasty that never fell that has evolved culturally into a later Ming state without being influenced by Yuan customs. The capital's geographical location judging from how it's described and how the western ladies and the caravan entered it is more like Chang'an or Luoyang than Beijing.

It's not historically accurate yeah and it's kind of a fantasy imperial China setting, but the first chapter has a picture of the palace and it clearly is the imperial city or at least modeled after it (you can even see jinshan in the back too), and the time period (given all the interactions with 'Westerners' and the gun technology) does place it in the Qing era. Seems like the author was going for a Beijing setting in the 1700s but as if the Ming dynasty continued with influences from previous eras.

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

Damn those moonrune that's a different stroke mean a different thing...
:meguuusad:

Users who are viewing this thread