Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 74.2 - The Fox Village (Part 2)

Dex-chan lover
I like how everything in this story comes back around too how shitty and absolutely disgusting the previous emperor was. They seriously cannot get enough of beating this pedo while he's down, fuck him!

Dex-chan lover
ok RIP she just drank poison and probably died unless they can get help quick enough?
if they get her to eat some charcoal, she'll be fine. Any medic, especially in this era, should know that hopefully
Probably are, but he is the emperor so they must be of childbearing age nonetheless
They mention in a previous chapter that 14 is still way too young, and him sleeping with kids that age is despicable (and also dangerous). Which is true in today's time as well. They just couldn't do anything about it because he was the emperor, but they all thought he was nasty.

Dex-chan lover
Learning that ten days had passed with no news and that Gyokuyu was about to give birth, it all risked to make Mao Mao's disappearance fade at the back of everyone's mind. She's just a maid after all.

But then SHABAM, Jinshi can't forget about her of course, shit's just got real in a flash. Very impressive how the palace keeps getting darker and more dangerous the more we know how many fucked up things happen there. And how much resentment build up.

We followed first Mao Mao's friend worrying about her station, how to navigate best her time in the Inner Palace. And now we learn what happens to the 'leftover' maids, worse, the former victims of the pedo Emperor. You have to question the hubris of the Imperial House to think that leaving this many people they hurt in charge of treatment and food preparation would never be a recipe for disaster.

Or maybe it was a kindness in their harsh setting to let people have a place to stay and giving them a trade instead of casting them out in the streets once their purpose was pasted.

Tough, amazing story as well, but great chapter. Mao Mao is such a fun protag to follow. I love how weird she finds this Fox Village and how chill her kidnapping looks, but she's still always on the lookout to uncover wtf is going on there

Fed-Kun's army
Remember he was a legit lolicon due to the trauma his bitch mother inflicted on him, he couldn't be around any female in the adult range without starting to have panic attacks. The current Emperor's mother was only 10 years old when the former Emperor knocked her up, then when she got older and he started avoiding her she trapped him and raped him as payback.

Going to be real with you, I don't give two shits about his backstory he still touched kids and deserves an ass beating of the century for the shit he pulled. NOTHING in this world give you any right to do the shit he did.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks No Group Scanlation.
Do you all think we will get Ruo Men's POV on why he's so calm each time Mao Mao gets kidnapped?
He taught Mao Mao everything she needs to survive, and the father IS actually quite powerful when brute political force is needed.

From there, well. As we can see within the palace, it's not like she isn't always ankle deep in some really dangerous stuff at any point in time.

Group Leader
Thanks No Group Scanlation.
Do you all think we will get Ruo Men's POV on why he's so calm each time Mao Mao gets kidnapped?
Probably not, but that's just Ruomen's personality. He always thinks logically and never acts on assumptions. To top it off, he has no ambitions, so he just let others exploit him to no end.

Dex-chan lover
Thank god the current emperor is a healthy man, I don't condone every little thing that is customary to his position, but... HELL... the fact that he had the presence of spirit never to be like his father is a blessing.

Some things clicked with the custom revealed in this chapter, the pedo fucker must have raped who knows how many young girls, and because of this dipshit custom, many of them had to waste away in this prison.

With Maomao's kidnapping, I had forgotten Gyokuyo was close to her expected date, but if she is risking having a premature one, Maomao's disappearance must have shocked her deeply.

I have no doubts about Ruo Men's abilities to care for her, but... pregnancy is already something so delicate even in our modern time, imagine then.
I mean, it's already mentioned I think that the current emperor disliked the previous emperor taste due it made the younger girl suffers during pregnancy since his mother has scar in belly.

Supporter
How did he go from "she smells of alcohol" to "she knows/is involved with Maomao's disappearance"??? :wtf:

Dex-chan lover
It's horrifying to me to think just how much trauma these poor women have gone through being trapped in the place the emperor brutally assaulted them in.

Then...forced to labour away for the good of the same family that allowed them to be tortured like this and now effectively having to see someone who looks exactly like their abuser as the head staffer of the inner palace... :c

Can't really blame them for anything they did even if I don't agree with it. How else are they going to get any kind of relief in a palace happy to treat them as damaged goods and sweep their very existence under the rug with no form of reparative justice for the crimes commited against their bodies, autonomy and freedom...but then I guess even acknowledging that to a royal family would be contesting the divine right they believe they have to do whatever they wish with any citizen.

Makes me glad at least that the Emperor does seem to be trying to change things albeit it's taking many years to untangle the crimes of his father and grandmother.

Edit: wasn't there a scene a while ago of Jinshi as a little kid being offered candy by his grandfather? I am suddenly so much more horrified by that scene after realising that's how he got close enough to hurt the child consorts. :c

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I have no doubts about Ruo Men's abilities to care for her, but... pregnancy is already something so delicate even in our modern time, imagine then.
While Mao Mao certainly has skill, she's in no capability to measure up to Ruo Men, or even the palace doctors in general (not inner palace doctor, mind you). The key point is that Mao Mao only learned pharmacy and not medicine, because she's too unhinged that Ruo Men banned it in fear of her committing crime for research. If the situation becomes serious and requires an operation, she'll be totally helpless.

Dex-chan lover
While Mao Mao certainly has skill, she's in no capability to measure up to Ruo Men, or even the palace doctors in general (not inner palace doctor, mind you). The key point is that Mao Mao only learned pharmacy and not medicine, because she's too unhinged that Ruo Men banned it in fear of her committing crime for research. If the situation becomes serious and requires an operation, she'll be totally helpless.
I think my comment transmitted the wrong idea.

I wasn't comparing them, I know that whatever Mao Mao is good with medicine and other knowledge, Ruo Men is 10 times better.

What I was saying is that pregnancy is a delicate process, and when there was already the risk of a breach birth, there is the fact that the stress of catcat disappearance may have made Gyokuyo's health even more delicate.

So... even if Ruo Men is as close to a miracle worker as can be, risk is risk, and I would hate to see a mother or child die in the process.

Or even to see Ruo Men blamed for something outside of his capabilities... again.

Dex-chan lover
Going to be real with you, I don't give two shits about his backstory he still touched kids and deserves an ass beating of the century for the shit he pulled. NOTHING in this world give you any right to do the shit he did.
he's a fictional character and it's weird to have such a violent emotional response to the suggestion that terrible people are people too

nobody is making excuses for the creep, lol

Fed-Kun's army
What he did was reprehensible, but he was mentally ill. Blaming him for what he did is pointless because "he" was such a pile of trauma and forced conditioning it's doubtful he had a mental age over 5 when he died.
He should have been treated as a mental patient, not put in charge of an empire.

Users who are viewing this thread