Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 38 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 2)

Dex-chan lover
Right in the kokoro, I was seeing him as a villain but the fucking granny and the incapacity to tell the truth are the villains

@nyanpass rakan's father ordered him to go somewhere supposedly for three months, which was extended to 3 years, when he returned she (Mao Mao's mother) had already (probably) caught the disease. Since she was no longer a virgin, her cost had been lowered considerably, so I think 'yubikiri' was literally cutting off the finger, since she could not get married to him and broke her promise.

Supporter
Argh! Stop with all this "no longer a virgin" stuff - she was a high class courtesan, which is basically a really classy prostitute, and there's basically zero chance she was a virgin. She was in fact far more valuable than a virgin - she represented a large part of the ongoing value of the whole brothel at the time, at least as far as I can tell. It's not dealt with in much depth, but it /is/ noted that after she got pregnant it caused lots of problems for the brothel, which is part of the reason the madam was so pissed off about her pregnancy, and about Rakan's part in it.

This is a /brothel/, people - they sell sex, along with a whole lot of ancillaries including visits with seriously classy women which may lead to sex with said seriously classy women, if you're rich enough and interesting enough to get it. It's noted in multiple places that Pairin is basically a giant nymphomaniac, who specifically picks most of her clients based on how much she wants to fuck their brains out - and yet Pairin is still one of the three most valuable courtesans working there. Virginity is valuable to a prostitute exactly once, and has /nothing/ to do with being a high class courtesan - the really valuable courtesans have a hell of a lot more going for them than anything like that. Pairin is a genius dancer, Mei Mei is a poet (I think - one of the three is) - Fon Shen was a genius at go and shogi, able to play at the same level as Rakan. That alone would probably cement her value as a high class courtesan.

Getting pregnant is apparently enough to destroy a courtesan's value, though (at least, to most people). Which is fucked up, but no more fucked up than a lot of other things in this story.

@himi-cat tbh, in the scope of this series, I don't think the pregnancy thing is that messed up (ofc it is in real life though), because the courtesans are meant to sell sex with no strings attached. Having a child means they now have an extra relationship to care about, hindering their ability to work, and also now have a child to take with them if they were to leave the brothel.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@rokegle135 Seeing as you're completely incapable of not personally attacking people, enjoy the month ban.

I dont understand why some couple can't honest with their feelings n make both suffer for years.. If only after he gone for 3 years and she forgave him, well but they are happy in the end.

so it wasn't a pinky like the note on yubikiri said in ch37, but rather the ring finger

Users who are viewing this thread