Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 38 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 2)

Dex-chan lover
goof in page 26 : the monocle is back on his eye . he dropped it in the garden in page 17 .

i can only think of 1 explaination : after meeting fon shen , he goes out to the garden to search for the monocle , then he goes back in the room to watch over fon shen again , lol .

-----------------------------------------------------------

about the plot hole :

i heard that :
in the web novel , fon shen is already dead before rakan returns from his 3-years campaign . everyone tells him the truth that she is dead .

in the light novel : the author retcons this plot to fon shen is still alive , granny is the only one who tells him that she is dead , out of spite .
but this retcon creates a plot-hole : for 10+ years , other peoples ( mao mao , rakan 's uncle , mei mei , other courtesans , ..... ) dont even bother to tell rakan that fon shen is still alive .
this plot-hole is so big that the author doesnt even bother to explain it , lol .

@Kardelune I'm going to wait to see if we get more information about how Rakan was continually blocked from seeing/buying her once he came back. But, I think the actions taken by the characters make sense for who they are and how they would think. I agree with you - it's a sad story overall.

For a guy who can't recognize faces his entire life, sees his beloved beautiful and true face, when in actuality it became disfigured.

10/10 chapter.

@Lightbrand
He didn't flake. He got sent off to war for a few years by his father and didn't know anything until it was too late. In the flashback, the mother was already planning on getting pregnant to decrease her value when she asked him about when his next visit would be (keep in mind that brothels do have contraceptives and such). But she never told him about her plan until after the fact (which is why Mei Mei was lamenting about her not being honest from the get go). By the time she started sending letters about her pregnancy, he was already gone and had no way to respond, since his family didn't tell him about it (iirc, in the WN, his family actively didn't approve of his relationship with her and sent him to war to separate them). He was told the mother died by the Granny(?), but he realized Mao Mao was his daughter from the cut off pinkie in the letters and seeing her deformed hand when he initially met her. Quite tragic really.

Double-page supporter
This is just sad. I just re-read this manga once more, and it ended in so much feels.

Fed-Kun's army
@VermillionOcean
Do note that the cut-off pinkie was Shen's own, Mao's was merely injured. Rakan's had plenty of other clues to put two and two together, though.

Dex-chan lover
Now then, who here still feel disgusted by this man?
No one? How shocking! People hated him until 2 chapters ago.
You see folks, with a little backstory even the villain can be loved.

Double-page supporter
Shit, man shit. Why you gotta make me teary eyed like that?. Now that's true love. Reminds me of
deadpool
a bit with how he is loved (even after what she went through) what he fell in love with initially.

For those who thought that Mao Mao wanted him to redeem Pairen for the guard (and he's interested in Pairen, not Mei Mei) that doesn't make sense, as that guard has already turned down help in paying her fees, because he wants to do it himself to prove that his intentions are true. Mao Mao also doesn't think that someone who can figure out how to pay her fee is worthy of being with Pairen to begin with. I'm pretty sure what happened here was exactly what Mao Mao wanted to happen.

@moozooh
No, it was both Shen's and Mao Mao's. You can see the small finger tip in the picture next to the bigger finger. She was identified from the twisted pinkie when Rakan saw her. It's also why she has nightmares/flashbacks of her mother holding a knife over her.

I'm still curious as to why mao mao hated him in the first place yet I don't know if mao mao really hated him, maybe she is just bad at dealing snakey people like him

This chapter is beautiful tho 🥺🥺

Users who are viewing this thread