Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 38 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 2)

The WN didnt tell whos the courtesan with syphilis and who Maomao make Rakan buy. Although when i read i predict it might be the syphilis woman. BUT in the WN they didnt tell who she is and the author made Maomao mother died by suicide so i didnt expect the sick courtesan is her mother. Im glad that Rakan at last could buy her like he promise 🙂

Dex-chan lover
I'm shocked that so many people didn't realize who the std lady was. It was pretty much spelled out who she was to Mao Mao after she was introduced.

Dex-chan lover
@riinflorida There's a good chance that granny would stop more direct attempts for Rakan to redeem her. Maomao did something that was still excusable as helping the group as a whole, while everyone else was constrained by courtesy to allow him the choice. Forcing someone on him could have tipped him off or given him ammo to refuse and cause a lot more problems.

Granny definitely doesn't trust Rakan and believes Feng Sheng's current living conditions were the best for her(yeah right). Maomao had long since confirmed Rakan's sincerity, so the only step left was to create a ploy to get them together.

That being said, this is going to make the future a lot weirder since the WN had Rakan travel all over the place and he now has very good motivation to stay at home all the time.

@shyri

@Bighomer

She was dead in the original WN - this version follows the light novel, where she had sifilis.

Honestly this whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense - there is no reason why granny wouldn't have sold her earlier, or for Rakan not to buy her.

It's basically a plot hole caused by the differences between the original and the revised version.

@cryum if I rememebr correctly, the LN stated that she didn't have much longer to live and Rakan stayed with her until her death, after which he just went and started harassin- I mean loving Maomao like a doting father again.

Double-page supporter
@Broken25 Granny couldn't sell her because she lost all of her values once she got pregnant and gotten syphilis, aka no one would buy her, and Rankan didn't buy her earlier because he thought she was already dead. Granny was determined to not let him in the brothel or learn anything about her after all.

@cryum a little spoiler to you.
Fengshen won't live for long. She dies shortly after being redeemed. According to the LN, which the manga follows.

Yes. Sublime.

This is my explanation for what's happening in the chapter, even if I didn't read the novel:
Everything is all made by Mao Mao from the start: the involvement of Mei Mei, kamuro of Mao2's mother, the choice of the rose, because the scent is one of most recognizables instruments for Rakan to recall faces, the will to give peace to his poor mother, and Rakan too.

She is the real MVP, and I think we will know everything explained in next chapters.

Dex-chan lover
I saw this coming ever since I saw a comment about the sick woman being Maomao's mother (that I previously didn't realize) in previous chapters but damn, my heart. My eyes are wet. Pain peko.
I've read the WN but I no longer remember much about it now so lmao.

I already read the LN but damn. this one hits so hard.

The fucking lullaby just made me cry. I don't think the woman hates maomao after all. Her mental state deteriorated due to her illness and stress. I mean her lullaby just revealed that she wanted to have a complete family. Anyway thank you for the update.

@cryum yes and now she likly thought it was best because Look at rakan outside maomao and her mother he doesnt really see people. Hence she likely assumed based on his personality and reputation he wouldnt have dont anything since shes gone more or less meantialy so wouldnt be any use to him and ignored.

Goddamn this chapter...

Even with modern medicine, those symptoms are pretty much incurable and irreversable. It's likely that Feng Shen won't survive for very much longer :(

Users who are viewing this thread