Land of the Lustrous - Vol. 12 Ch. 93 - Promise

@Renard @starburst98

Phos' eye is a synthetic pearl, and the pearl is usually counted among the Buddhist Seven Treasures.

The mercury could stand for silver, since it is quicksilver. The platinum portion of the arm alloy could also stand for silver too, but maybe it doesn't count as a separate thing since it's a golden alloy (then again, the legs count for both agate and seashell/coral). The mercury could also be representative of Cinnabar, which could represent carnelian/amber of the Seven Treasures.

Double-page supporter
@1idd0kun But none of the gems knew that (not even bimbo ass cairn). So he didnt't just lie to Phos, he lied to everyone and used everyone. Is not something Phos could have ever found out or realize. He is too deranged and all the other gems that went with him fucking suck ass (except Yellow and Padpa), all too busy being self absorbed to even suspect anything or help Phos realize this may be Aechmea's end goal.

Yet, It seems he knows (Shit Prince) of a way to keep gems safe, going by what he said to Second Worst Character In the Series. He made a safe pod or some crap for him, so maybe the nuke isn't absolute??? I don't know. But for sure Aechmea witheld information and disgustingly manipulated everyone for his own benefit.

I hate it here. But at least Phos looks sick.

Fed-Kun's army
I think this is less Phos going wrong than it is Phos going horribly, horribly right, since now they are free of attachments and probably in a position to end the cycle of suffering that is existence. Phos becomes human and Buddha both... unless they or Achmea somehow manage to mess it up, which I wouldn't put past them.

WHAT THE FUCK

PHOS WENT FROM AN ADORABLE LITTLE GEM LIKE SISTER, TO FULL FLEDGED CHAD GEM

Dex-chan lover
@Alhazred23 "I think this is less Phos going wrong than it is Phos going horribly, horribly right, since now they are free of attachments"

If he was really free of attachments, there would be no need to make Adamant pray or be so angry when he say he can't. Phos is as far from enlightenment as he gets. He's self-absorbed, not enlightened. He's becoming more human.

I honestly don't see anything good coming from this. Phos will probably be the only thing "alive" on earth when all this end, and at that point he will probably wish for death, just like the Lunarians (and probably Adamant as well, considering his smile when Phos ordered him to break).

Phos is turning human.. he will probably be the one who will do the praying for the lunarians to poof

I'm really looking forward to the next chapters with Aechmea who will go on land, explanations about ice floes.
Personally I don't blame Aechmea, he brought the salvation that adamant wanted (chapter 85) and seems to desire a future for the 3 species.
Phos is just a martyr without faith or purpose nobody but the readers care about him.
I love Ichikawa's work and I think we will have a very "Buddhist" ending (in view of the number of references in the manga it would not be astonishing).

Fed-Kun's army
@1idd0kun Fair point; free of memory isn't necessarily free of attachment. If that's the case though, how do you get Phos to pray for anyone else? Is Adamant the only one who gets out of this without more suffering?

I feel like while this has a ton of Buddhist themes, the ending will be more of a critique of Buddhism than anything. We are being continually shown that wishing for nothingness/no attachments isn't going to happen, and the Lunarian society revitalized from getting new attachments and people.

This is especially true with Aechmea's last chapter, imo.

Here's my little postulate: Carnelian derives from a Latin word meaning "flesh". As @KyoPa suggests, mercury is representative of Cinnabar and the last treasure, which is carnelian. Phos is now covered in mercury, which means Phos has affectively gained a "flesh mantle" or skin.
My theory is that Phos will become the prayer machine for the Lunarians.

Users who are viewing this thread