Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-page supporter
Sorry to have my browser in privacy mode, but come on, is stupid to use cookies, it can be ok for unregistered users but make no sense for registered users.

Actually it makes much more sence in case of using more than one device.

Staff
Admin
You can fix the issue by not wiping the cookie... As Brave said it was done to allow per device settings so you can, like I do, have different settings on PC, Surface and mobile.

The cookie does nothing to harm you and is literally just your settings.

Adding more things to the db is a terrible idea... Have you not seen the desyncs? Which coincidentally the new change that killed off legacy is going to help put resources towards improving.

Dex-chan lover
@yatsuki
they probably went through heart-breaking situation with default reader.​
their parents were killed by default reader
surely, something, because the person they rooted for said something with good will -but on the contrary it became something to be disliked, and they fell into the darkness.
I will not get angry at you!
dont be mad.​
I wont get mad...
you must've went through hardships, am I right?
those feelings right now, I empathize with them- that my tears feel like flowing.
no, legacy are trash
legacy are fine, but the users though...
true that.
well, even so...
I'll forgive your past sins.

...idiot

Kanae, Soraru, and Nqrse on stream sniper legacy reader.

What drives me up the wall with the new reader is the giant fat loading symbol, I hate seeing it.

Dex-chan lover
@ixlone
Just jumping in to a discussion which doesn't impact me at all but maybe he has a situation like using a family computer on a shared user profile and not wanting all the manga stuff in the browser history.
I don't have such a problem anymore but when I was in a similar situation 10 years ago I too used private browsing for all my manga needs to avoid having to deal with all the resulting trashtalk from other people finding out what I've been doing on the computer.

Dex-chan lover
I'd be fine with the default reader if I could make it look like the legacy but it's impossible

Fed-Kun's army
@Ovdose
Even if that was the case, it would just be a matter of setting the cookie through normal mode then continue their nefarious acts in private.

Double-page supporter
@Ovdose

Make new browser profile. Set it to usb flash drive. Keep it in your pocket. Problem solved.

Group Leader
Damn, I lol'd so hard about that privacy thingy. But yeah, there's a good point in it. LMAO

Dex-chan lover
@Kanami-chan I think there's a compressed images choice if your internet isn't fast enough if you want. Other than some pages where they combine 2 pages together, they look pretty good.

Contributor
@BzzBzz - Sorry but no, is matter of privacy and tracking, i delete all cookies when i close my browser and i will continue to do so.

@ixlone - Then, is possibile to add the legacy options to the actual reader so it can behave like the old one?

Or in alternative restore the old reader but make it cookie based, since you said is a database issue right? Is a price i can pay, in this way you have your own database free from the reader settings. Wasn't this a better solution? Are you able to do this?

Staff
Admin
The database already has literally billions of rows of data for tracking every reader's chapter progress on top of other things.

We don't want to add superfluous stuff to it that has no need to be there. Especially when the database servers are on their knees already. Deleting cookies is your choice.

Thankfully the new change will allow us to get a much better database main server that's WAY better than our existing one. But we still don't want more rows adding to database once we do upgrade.

What legacy options?

Staff
Admin
No. I didn't say it's database related. I said the freeing up of resources the changes made will allow us to make improvements.

Contributor
For legacy options i mean the old base settings, full chapter page load, mouse button work as changing chapter and not move down the view, images size was based on browser layout, now for an unknow reason the images are all moved to the right side and aren't centered on the screen, expecially when the first image is oversized, no matter what option i chose.

I can live with the change from database to cookies store settings, but at least leave an option to have the old reader interface integrated to this one, or loading all images at once is the issue you are talking about?

Watermelon Consumer
Staff
Developer
You say that like it's totally out of your control, which is hilarious.
@Dor1tos well if I had the power to magically infuse the servers with more processing power, I would.

Staff
Admin
It's okay, we'll use our totally unlimited funds to rent servers capable of handling the massive growth on site for years to come so we never have to upgrade again 😆

What's truly hilarious is people who have no idea talking like they do. The site is ran on a relatively shoestring budget for the amount of users and data we handle. Upgrades are made with our finite resources in mind. Thankfully with the removal of our cache server - now replaced by md@h - which was only feeding legacy and md@h we've saved a significant amount of our budget that will go towards a huge improvement to our main dB server.

Typing on phone sucks.

Staff
Admin
@Nick86

Those sound like issues local to you. Never seen any of that.

The old reader is gone. Dead. Kaput.

We've said ever since the new reader came out that once it broke it would be gone. Today's that day.

Our - teas - limited free time is better spent improving the default reader and not rehashing the legacy reader which doesn't work with new updates to site. If you have genuine constructive criticism or ideas on how to improve it to make better you are free to post suggestions.

Edit: full page load is planned for when we move all content onto md@h.

Contributor
What was the legacy reader anyway? I didn’t notice any change today, so I likely never used it before.

Also, I don’t watch Re:Zero.

Dex-chan lover
Rip legacy now I gotta use the shitty normal mode with too many settings or modes that doesn’t work because of image sizing FeelsBadMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread