Long term strategies to address bandwidth issues and running costs: MangaDex@Home + Affiliates + BTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom title
Staff
Developer
Yeah that reader bug isn't related to the network specifically, it's an old one and I'm not really sure how exactly it's happening. Weird loading times might exacerbate it, but I dunno.

I would also like to participate (Europe) but 80Mb up/down, static IP and 24/7 is impossible for me.

As soon as these requirements go down, I'm happy to "donate" my bandwith (100/40). Concerning the availability: my dream would be to be like normal torrent clients, which you can start and stop on the fly and the client registers/deregisters itself on the network.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday @Holo

Oh, okay. I didn't hear about the bug before. The chapters are about two pages long and happened to me twice in one day which is why I associated it with the MatH

MD@Home
Are client requests fulfilled on a first come, first served basis or are they weighted (e.g. higher priority based on location and specs)?

Miku best girl
Admin
Users will be assigned clients based on closest region. Clients with higher bandwidth will get more requests.

MD@Home
@holo
Thank you for your answer.
I probably should have worded the question differently. In what order are certificate assigned to new clients?

Is it possible to encrypt content on P2P nodes and decrypt it in the browser with a key provided by MangaDex site itself? it would waive at least some of legal concerns

MD@Home
@shalupov
That's....just https and the diffie-hellman protocol. They would just ip lookup the address hosting the content and send a dmca request to the provider itself.

I mean, besides https. The content on client nodes may be encrypted by AES by some key on MangaDex and decrypted in a browser.
The node will store some unidentifiable chunks of data. That's much better than hosting actual pictures.

Next iterations will be interesting if this will grow organically.

I wonder if this network accept android devices as client and server in p2p network, something like popcorn time or stremio. With the torrent protocol, I can think some benefit
1. The devices requirements will significantly be lowered because massive users
2. In an android device, the client can also act as a server. And with torrent hashing to ensure content integrity
3. Compatibility with another tracker. But maybe we need zip and naming standard from MD as the main tracker
4. Combined with VPN for greater anonymity (first rule of torrenting)
5. And of course. Contents resiliency is positive and negative. Because the nature of p2p, content moderation will be hard. But if we can control it in reader client. It's should be okay

Well, it just my 2 cent guys. And I am genuinely amazed by the direction you guys have taken. Kudos!!!

Is there any way to turn this off? I've been getting image loading errors for hours

Edit: Found it.. it's not very intuitive since it's not in the settings page

Miku best girl
Admin
@knabber

They are not assigned to new clients automatically. Ix takes a look at the pending clients and picks high cache/high bw ones in regions needing them the most, e.g. AS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread