Long term strategies to address bandwidth issues and running costs: MangaDex@Home + Affiliates + BTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
MD@Home
Is the bandwidth in the client request the speed of the connection, or the amount that we are willing to donate? I'm guessing the latter?
What is the expected utilization of specified bandwidth? I'm trying to gauge how much I can donate without rendering my connection unusable.

@gflare
@wedge1001 Can you get around having an ISP-NAT by using port forwarding or no? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
normally not - since they somehow have to pool this port for all users.
what you can do:
- call your ISP and ask if they will add some port-forwardings (sometimes, miracles happen); It's probably not that wise to say you want to use this for mah xD Tell them s.th. like use a home VPN
- buy a static IP from your ISP
- try using s.th. like a VPN

MD@Home
Any update on where we are at in terms of client requests processing? Mine has been at "pending" for a few days.

And what's the impact so far on server performances? I'm curious to see how much gain we'll see just distributing old chapters through M@H...

requestes will be handeld based on location and specs;
what looks like will be the most benefiting the system will be priotized

the load on the Mangadex-server significantly decreased. So it's working :)

detailed stats will probably be posted later on

MD@Home
This is great news that the server load already see this much improvements, kudos to the community 😎

I had a few questions

- do you need EU based bandwith (as in if i prepare something in advance on my side just to be sure im not going to be flatly rejected and lost time)
- do you actually give notice to people that are rejected ? (changing the pending statut to canceled or rejected ?)
- i wish to change my storage dedicated portion from 300GB to 2TB (request #151) is that possible ?
- is there any other (secret) ports aside from https (443) ?
- since im using a VPN (no problem with h@h) is that a problem that i cycle between EU countries or better that i lock to the one i applied for this setup ?
- will a setup that is currently working with h@h work also with m@h ? no difference in network implementation ?
- can you run this completly headless (like with a config file or something) (i read yes on one post but just to be sure since this is what i do for h@h)

Thanks for your replies and keep up the good work 😎

I would love to help with MD@H, alas my internet connection that meets the requirement is not stable enough, and my secondary stable connection is only 10Mb/s.

When the opportunity arises, I will surely help.

Miku best girl
Admin
We have no plans on rejecting anyone willing to run a client, but we are limited by the number of certificates we can generate right now. EU nodes are a low priority at the moment, AS and NA are higher priority.

I got an out of topic question. What response does the site will have about this news: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200605/p2g/00m/0na/075000c

When 2021 comes, I am just afraid to the organization's safety and of course to the source of good manga. I dont really want to again experience a manga viewing site or app to shut down.

What happens if you lose one of the computers storing the chapters (For example, if the computer breaks)? Will those chapters be lost?

@useruser
No clients serve as cache. If they break md network just lost a cache client thats all. MD main image server still have the images.

@Afiaki Not entirely true, they pass these types of laws so that they can give themselves jurisdiction to go after international sites

Double-page supporter
Very impressive solution. I don't have the required resources to offer (nor stable enough internet), but big thanks to the peeps considering helping out.

Dumb question. Would it be possible to host a client on a raspberry pi?
Got a 100/50 fiber connection and i'm located in south america.

Power Uploader
@Yair
Dumb question. Would it be possible to host a client on a raspberry pi?
Has been mentioned before: Yes, that’s easily possible. All you need is to install OpenJDK. If you’re running headless, you need to download the CLI version of the Speedtest. Note that for RPi 1-3, the speed of the SD-card is the limiting factor.

Dex-chan lover
I assume you looked at using torrent as an option ? Good upload speed would not be a factor using torrent. But I can see other problems using torrent. As such. I also assume using the md@home way for doing things. It's possible to remove or scrub bad chapters, (snipping, recalls, DMCA take down) ? It's even possible to load balance the world distribution. Giving someone(s) in the SEA area a good portion of content to deploy.

MD@Home
I have spare Indonesian vps, but sadly it just has 20GB disk space. I hope MD lower their requirements little bit.
BTW, how much RAM I need to run mangadex@home?

as soon as this mangadex@home where implemented, I always get image loading error too often.

well at least the image load is a little bit faster (around 300KiB/sec vs from the slow 50KiB/sec back then) but still that image loading error is annoying most of the time, it wont fix it self after x amount of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread