Long term strategies to address bandwidth issues and running costs: MangaDex@Home + Affiliates + BTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
yikes, so the requirement is 80mbps down and 80mbps up? Even the more expensive NBN plans in Australia don't typically have upload speeds of more than 50mbps, and 99% of the 'lucky' Australia who are connected with Fiber to the Home are likely using 50/20 or 100/20 plans.

@ahobaka the requirement gonna be lowered down soon™, maybe to a level that anyone with 10-20mbps could be the host, soon™
Apparently, as Holo explain, there is a limit in new client per day so they need to raise the bar very high to get high quality hosts first, then lower quality host will be able to join in later (probably direct peering from higher quality hosts to new lower quality hosts and reduce the server load on storage server)

If i got a pc running 24/7 i would have hosted my own discord bot man issue is with the 24/7 thingi net is ok at 50mbps both downlaod and upload

@wedge1001 Unless I’m misreading it r misinterpreting, doesn’t Speedtest have a cli interface?
https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli
(Links are allowed right?)
———
cert question :
What would be the disadvantages to using multiple subdomains per cert since letsencrypt supposedly allows up to 100 per cert, potentially making this process much faster (rather than waiting a week at a time?
Forgive me if I’m completely wrong *ehehe
Just trying to help

Yea. Wish I could. I only get 60 down and 6 up, and it's paid for with the rent by the leasing company, so can't change it. If i move this year, I'll look back into it.

Edit: actually nvm, think i'll look at a seedbox or something.

Where is Singaporean when we need the most?
Show yourself, you have the best Internet on SEA!!!

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@magnetsmangadex posted:

Edit: what is supposed to be in the api call to https://api.mangadex.network/report ? I initially assumed that a blank JSON object would be a success, but I had some fails on a chapter and the reports are still blank

I'm considering {} to be an empty JSON object
What it's supposed to be is
Code:
{ url, success, bytes? }
but if you're absolutely certain the request body seriously is an empty object, I have to say I'm very confused, as there's no way that I can see how that could possibly be happening for either succesful or failed pages.

If you're talking about the response body then yeah that's blank for a 200. A success or failure for the API call is reported in the status code, naturally.

Can a kind soul explain to me the pros and cons of using P2P? I don't know a thing about it >.<

Miku best girl
Admin
@uttanova

For us, it means that instead of us having to upgrade cache servers to keep up with traffic, others can contribute their servers/computers to cache the image archives. This helps us with costs and users with load speeds.

The user gets better speeds.

yes. Speedtest does indeed have a speedtest-cli.
it took some time :)

I've prepared one of my OVH servers, but

I still get some problems requesting a slot...
on the server i get "Hacking attempt... Go away." actions.ajax.php?function=request_client

on the private system there is no error, but it sill doesn't do anything.

Perhaps it's a problem, that I don't have an png as speedtest-link?
the Cli will give it like this: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/<some_id>-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxxxxxxxxxx

Are signups disabled?

Whenever I hit submit, the button starts spinning and never stops. it looks like the API is returning a 500 error and the page doesn't know what to do with that, so it just sits there at "requesting".

Supporter
@mage_goo
I was in the "Oh fuck yeah, my time to shine has come!" mood and then I saw 80Mbps down/up. I have two 4g/lte (up to) 150/50Mbps connections, which combined would be enough but I haven't managed to combine them. Yet. Aaaaand I kinda killed my 2nd laptop that was used as a server and torrent machine some time ago and I can't keep main one connected all the time.

So close, yet so far but in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Miku best girl
Admin
@wedge1001 @dlmsweet

I increased the length of the speedtest field, try again

@GroundDead We expect to reduce the requirements to 40/40 once we're solved some teething issues with the initial batch of clients.

MD@Home
I suppose I can spare you some bandwidth.

5fd22dbe-56fd-4fd5-b822-805389e95b12.png

EDIT: oh, by the way, @Holo if you could (somehow) tell all the other people in France having 10Gbps Freebox Delta or Delta S subscriptions that A/ they have bandwidth to spare and B/ their router can host VMs that should be able to handle MD@home, that'd be great...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread