Machikado Mazoku - Vol. 6 Ch. 77 - Resolve! An Oath for the Demon Sanctuary

Dex-chan lover
@shaeli
"Seiko not remembering anything about their old neighbors is probably Suika's doing...by erasing everyone's memories of them, when she killed them. It's consistent with Seiko's feelings that they all left at once—obviously Suika showed up one day, burned them all out, but skipped the Yoshidas because barrier."

Either that or because Joshua was already sealed, Seiko isn't a demon, and the children hadn't developed demon traits they were skipped. Shamiko was probably in the hospital at this time so wasn't protected by the barrier, she mentioned she was in there for most of her childhood, but she wasn't in the demon registry yet as that happened in chapter 1.

Dex-chan lover
@captainaeroman
The time Momo saved the world WAS the fight against Suika. At least that seems the most plausible and conforms to what Ogura and others have said.

Aggregator gang
@BugDemon
Good point, yes! I just though that it would take pretty long time for Momo to love Sakura enough that it would make her uneraserable, therefore, longer time of interacting with dad when he visited. It's probably what you suggested though.

I often see confusion about the timeline, so let's just get three major points straight.

12 years ago:
-Momo is saved from the facility by Sakura and Suika. She grows super attached to Sakura in the next 2 years.

10 years ago:
-Momo's memories of everything involving her past beyond her interactions with Sakura were overwritten by Joshua, because she didnt want to leave Sakura and because Sakura wanted her to have a "normal" life.
-Sakura and Joshua dealt with some calamity that threatened the town. I doubt this was Suika, because Sakura basically implied that whatever it was was dealt with for a while. Suika was clearly completely unhindered aside from the barrier, so that cant be who they dealt with. Joshua was sealed by Sakura for some reason. Sakura used just a few cards from sealing a great demon (possibly Joshua) to do something unspecified.
-At the same time Ryo was born and Shamiko took her curse portion, so Sakura fused with her to save her life after delivering the dadbox to Seiko.

6 years ago:
-Momo met and depowered Suika by using Sakura's wish cards. She received most of her permanent scars in this fight. The sakura tree protecting the town withers and is extremely weakened. The pot of manna also disappeared.
-Momo's memories of her interactions with Suika and Gusion were both tempered with. Momo is not affected by Suika's "memory erasure after killing a Dark Clan member", as she remembered every single mazoku that went missing, so the only reason she cant remember Gusion must be that her mind was directly altered. So either Gusion or Suika messed with her memories on purpose.
-In the same year, according to Anri and the fan club, Momo allegedly saved the world. We dont know if this is the same event as beating Suika. Considering she is a magical girl and returned to the facility, she may have gone on another world saving mission. The only evidence for this is that Momo said she didnt do it alone, but beating Suika was basically a solo job. You could interpret her using Sakura's card as a "indirect assist", but that's unclear. There is also the fact that basically nobody knew about what Momo did.
-Mikan was not involved with saving the world by the way. She literally didnt know about that mission, nor about Momo's scars.

---
The rest is present day stuff. Despite all these flashbacks a lot of things are still unclear. We still dont even know if the enemy from 10 years ago and Suika are connected at all. Also there is a possibility that whatever happened 10 years ago is actually connected to the facility Momo is from and that Momo originally knew what was coming.

On page nine second panel on the right the wording makes it seem she refuses to get consumed by Momo

Dex-chan lover
@InfiniteRB
I mean to a certain extent yes, but it also seems extremely unlikely that everything we were shown is unrelated to "the time Momo saved the world" mentioned by Anri and parallel world Gusion.

The plain of white Gusion showed sounds quite a bit like what Suika wanted to accompish, and Anri is.... a mystery. As in she seems to know a lot of things she maybe shouldn't.

As nobody that has mentioned "Momo saving the world" ever mentioned anything specific it seems likely to me that it was a rumor started by Anri or someone else who witnessed the fight. Either way it would be weird to have this NOT be the time she saved the world when it matches up timeline wise and she did indeed save the world by defeating Suika.

Aggregator gang
This leaves us with unsettling questions about Momo's origins.

Also, I'm really not sure that keeping this info from Momo is wise. Yes, it's a hard and traumatic past, but she moved past it and was making a new life for herself. She made friends with Mikan before this memory erasure, after all.

The main question is at which point Suika turned into a genocidal, she clearly wasn't one when they found Momo.

Wasn't she? Her comment about wanting to end Momo's suffering seems eerily similar to her insane raving a few years later...

@bugdemon

I think the True Love aspect is more to reassure shamiko.

"Momo doesn't love me because I brainwashed her into doing so. She loves me because of who I am to her. All I did was help her get over her depression."

@Madcat6204
It's a hard and traumatic past, but she moved past it and was making a new life for herself
Can't really say you got over the traumatic past when you are making a new, happy life while not remembering anything from the trauma.
Momo will go through the PTSD really hard when she regains her memory.

Dex-chan lover
What the heck? Suika seems like an adorable cinnamon roll here. God damn it. You can't show THIS to me after establishing last chapter that she was a creepy psychopath.

I can only assume that whatever Sakura and Joshua fought changed Suika for the worse.

@zdietrich
1. We dont know Joshua's age. Saying he is an ancient Mesopotamian man is straight up not confirmed anywhere. Seiko saying his name was popular in Mesopotamia doesnt mean that's where and when he was born.
2. LIlith was not Adam's first wife in Jewish religion. That was actually an addition of the middle ages and is basically just fanfiction. No Jew would ever actually take that seriously.
3. The only point that supports your idea is that the Whatever Stuff allegedly starts with A and thus could refer to Aaron's rod, which is supposedly something the messiah is supposed to carry. But considering ti was passed down in Lilith family line, it's doubtful Joshua himself is important or that figure. Even more so, because it was given to Shamiko who is much more of a savior figure in this story. So if anything she would be that messiah.

@RunaDacino
I didnt consider that. Yes, if love is something dream demons cant mess with, then it could be argued that the same applies to making someone fall in love with you.
So let's assume Momo eventually confesses and Shamiko doubts those feelings are real and say she will erase Momo's false attachment to her... and then it doesnt work. That would prove it's true love.

Orb

Suddenly Ukrainian in my manga. It's so awesome to (at least somewhat) understand languages. Interesting to know Momo's origin, very cool that the manga doesn't avoid plot progression.
Shota demon dad is cute. Another rare male character in this manga, haha, and we finally get to see more of him.
And poor Metako, hope he doesn't perish soon.

Page 8, top right says 'was I that licky'
That made me giggle more than it should

Thanks for the translation

Maybe Sakura's disappearance is what snapped Suika. She did seem kind of, well, enamored with her...

Users who are viewing this thread