Magan to Dangan o Tsukatte Isekai o Buchinuku!

Aggregator gang
This might be better then Tate No Yuusha. MC-wise anyways. Hey it might be cliche slave but at least not a Harem right? Honestly the way things started I think it'd been better with the Princess instead.. But somehow he ended up with the Slave??

I really want to strange the author of Tate No Yuusha though. The novels logic was so frustrating.

I feel like I just read a collage of basic overused isekai cliches. Even Kenja no Mago brings more new to the table than this.

This is a simple OP isekai with a cute companion and no grind, real conflict, struggle or legit character development potential. The cute bunny chick fawning over him is just too fast.

@starburst98
I'd never argue the advantages forced labour in your service can have, and I guess it is the burden of the Japansese man to help the genetically less fortunate to achieve their potential, but I'd still feel insulted by the author if they regarded me as the target audiance as someone who'd take slaves for such reasons.

Lewd Elf is fucking LEWD!

@Sinjito
It doesn't have the harem tag anymore; even if it did have it, the harem tag is used very loosely.
Japan is special guilty of this, the harem tag is mostly thrown on any story that has one guy and many girl, even if the mc has a main love interest and the other girls are just friends/companions.

Contributor
I'd forgotten how cringey the slave-fantasy stuff in this was.

Very much of the "Oh, master, you treat me as only very slightly less than a proper normal human being, you are so generous and amazing, I am after all a slave!" camp. Makes my eyes water.

I mean, it's one of the more subtle ones along those lines, I guess? Sort of. But it's pretty awful.

Aggregator gang
Bolt action rifle for close quarters combat ?

And what's with 'rescued from slavery' in the synopsis ?

One of these days I would like to see an isekai where the MC goes full John Brown on the slavers

Abolish Harems
Staff
VIP
@Pokari To enjoy a story you need to get into the world it portraits. Being treated harshly, as a slave would be, is to generate pity and compassion onto a character. But what's the point of reading a story if you don't want to get drawn into these feelings? Don't force yourself against it and let the story embrace you in it's world. Only then will you get into the characters and will be susceptible to the feelings it will give you. But it's not that easy, that's why most stories, in order to be believable, tend to be somewhat realistic. It's a strategy authors probably even do unintentionally, out of habit, because they know what draws people in their stories. Love, pity, justice. 9/10 stories you encounter will have these applied to their characters, so that you're drawn into the story and support them.

So, no. For me, seeing a person being treated like that (a slave) in a story, will always get pity out of me. It's essential for the story that you do.

Contributor
@AlexEliot:

I am past the age where I'll immerse myself in just any story. I was like that when I was younger (up to late-teens maybe?) and I certainly remember a lot of it fondly—but toxic messaging is precisely part of why I started being more discriminate and discerning.

And what is shown in a work's narrative is one thing, the moral values a work promotes by it's narrative, is quite another.

Longish slightly rant-y elaboration:
Here my issue isn't itself the "harsh" treatment of the slave-market, but rather the partial white-washing thereof; not just the slavery itself, but rather the subtle dehumanization and overt objectification of the girl.

She is presented as someone we're to feel pity for, yes, but only in the context of a blatant rescue fantasy, whence it is made clear no further humanity is required on part of the protagonist in order to get her lovey-dovey harem-esqe affections forevermore: She is a soufflé, a sweet confection meant to be strung between the heartstrings and the male libido, without any of the complications that a real human being would bring to the table outside of that role—which in the context of slavery, is really fucked up, even without the vaguely pro-slavery bits of the narrative.

Now, one can certainly be unaware of all that (or disagree with it, I suppose, though this one seems a fairly cut-and-dry instance to me personally) and, as a reader, re-humanize some de-humanized characters from one's own understanding of what that character must be thinking or experiencing. For instance: As someone who had Love Hina lying around as a kid (being an early second-generation otaku, here), I thought Su-chan (the resident youngest loli in the extended harem) was just absolutely awesome and would make the best-est of friends (Dad, why did you let me watch that?), an interpretation of that character that I will always cherish even though the existence of her character is, objectively, your run-of-the-mill morally horrific sick lolicon stuff. Death of the Author and all that; just because the work is shit doesn't mean your experience of it needs to be shit.

But that does not make the work itself less reprehensible; nor should it bear much weight on any critique I might make of the work or even its author.

Oshit wow! A generic ISEKAI MANGA!!!

Damn! The amount of new content we're getting these days? Whew! Innovation at its finest.

o.o
dont waste ur talents in this piece of shit story mangaka!!
how do these piece of craps getting adaptions? are mangakas that free. this too much hq adaptation for such a poor story. rifle....long dist shooting means u have to adjust aim for wind, humidity, dist, altitude, etc. To learn culture u need to live thier life. whats with slaves in all isekais? even in earth slaves normally meant for those ppl forced by european colonists to work for thier own bid. what culture u gonna learn from slaves. u dont wanna stand out, but ur going to run around with demi-human in human infested town? author is an idiot. within 2 chap he failed miserably. mangaka's skills are wasted in this pile of shit stories.

@Pokari
1. It's fiction not real life. Keep your morals out of here. If you have problem discerning reality and fiction it's on you, not the author and the readers.

2. You have no idea how much you cling to the person who treats you a bit better than the ones who treat you like complete shit. If everybody treated you like shit, the less shitty one would probably be the person you hang out with.

3. Basic fantasy tropes these days (or maybe at this age, as you said) are comic a best, cringe worthy at worst. On that i will agree, especially in an over-saturated genre like isekais. But you have to understand that this is how the product is designed. And because people read that shit, more like these will pop up. But in the end, don't read it if you don't like it.

4. "everything is political" is the most bullshit statement ever. You can turn the moral values of a story any way you want. What you feel is promoted in term of moral values and messaging is only understood through the prism of your education, culture and personality.

Your "know it all from my moral high ground" rant makes me puke and you should probably use all that energy you're directing at ranting to fictional pieces to real world problems that need solving. Like real slavery. Over consumption. Food industry being the nastiest shit on earth. Or even things at a smaller scale that you could see in your everyday life if you actually were concerned about these and not trying to boost your ego.

I havent even read that manga but you pissed me off.

Contributor
@olopoi:

Hm. I realize you're being combative and a civil discussion will probably be difficult, but I'm going to try. (Especially difficult, because I've got a bulleted list in front of me and I'm the sort who then feels compelled to respond every bullet >_>; )

1. Fiction has a real impact on how we frame and perceive things in real life. It does not exist in a void. The author and readers are precisely the people whose reasons for producing/receiving a work in a certain way, matter. That is not to say that fiction shouldn't have bad things happening, but how things are portrayed (and consumed), and the reasons for it, ultimately do matter, in little ways that add up over time. As does how we talk about it. (Mind, if you think this is hogwash—which seems to be the gist of what you're saying, I'm not sure?—I doubt I can convince you otherwise. We can have that discussion if you want, though.)

2. Who said the girl's behaviour was unreasonable? I would say that the author creates circumstances in which she is indeed overly-dependent and desperate for even basic human treatment, and the protagonist is kind of a dipshit to her, and that the story portrays this as roughly okay. Bring slavery into it, and that becomes truly morally problematic. A mix of slave-fantasies and rescue-fantasies reducing her to a nice convenient girl-toy, with heart-strings attached!

3. I mean, yeah, of course? But "don't read it if you don't like it" is one thing; "don't talk about it if you didn't like it", on the other hand, would be a bit more controversial as a take. And, frankly, yes, there's a lot of isekai I read that is indeed shittily-written wish-fulfillment. Some of it is that without being especially morally problematic. A lot of it is indeed so offensive that commenting on it is somewhat pointless beyond the conversational aspect of it. This one is somewhere in the middle, incidentally, but I am known to comment on all of them—as one does.

4. (I'm not sure what you mean, when you claim I claim "everything is political"...?) But it is true that everything we read is indeed understood through the prism of what we know, which, conversely, is indeed why talking about it is important...?

Finally:

Your "know it all from my moral high ground" rant makes me puke and you should probably use all that energy you're directing at ranting to fictional pieces to real world problems that need solving. Like real slavery. Over consumption. Food industry being the nastiest shit on earth. Or even things at a smaller scale that you could see in your everyday life if you actually were concerned about these and not trying to boost your ego.

Gee, thanks. Ad hominem attacks. How lovely.

I'll concede I'm a smart-alec, but I'm not quite sure why I'd want to take anything other than the moral high ground.

Well—I assume you're saying you don't agree that I have the moral high ground, mind; arguing that taking any moral high ground is sickening would seem rather foolish. In which case I would have thought one should stick to pointing out why my moral stance is found not to be to one's liking? Unless you do find morals in general to be sickening, I suppose. That sort of thing would be on oneself.

(Also, as an aside, "You should be working on a bigger problem instead of this little one," is pretty much always a questionable argument. We can get in to that topic if you want.)

P.S.
I havent even read that manga but you pissed me off.
Er, what manga? ...You don't mean the Wikipedia page I linked, do you? If so, well, I can also infer by now you're probably not the sort of person who likes having random terms linked, but if so, 'tis merely a cultural difference.

Drawn by the settings .... Halted by it's Story telling.

If you have a little bit of understanding on how long range shooting works, you might instantly facepalmed yourself after reading the first, or several chapters.

Welp, i guess i got to drop my expectation to it's lowest level whenever i try to digest this.

and i got the same 'long range settings' floating inside my head for months but unable to convey it into a drawn medium .... dang it.

@Pokari :

Hypocritical, right thinking bs. "Muh videogames make kids violent", "muh hard rock is satanic", "muh subpar fiction written by an author with the mental age of a 12 yo is dangerous cus it's not moral enough".

"(Also, as an aside, "You should be working on a bigger problem instead of this little one," is pretty much always a questionable argument. We can get in to that topic if you want.)"

It never is a questionable argument, people like you like to question it because they are very good at seeing the mote in the eye of others and not the beam in yours. Do shit for real people first, change what's happening close to you, then go speak about fictional characters being represented in a way you don't like. And don't give me the "you don't know me i did blah blah blah". If you have time to write about such an unimportant book you're probably not doing anything.

You're obviously a smart person, well educated and you seem to care for the betterment of humanity but running a morals check on everything you encounter is a pretty bad way to go about it and you are wasting your energy and intelligence. Let some people have their kinks/fantasy, even if they are shitty. It's always better that they play them out in fiction rather than stay bottled up and either explode and do crazy shit, or stay depressed all their life. The important part is how people act. If they act with respect and don't force these fantasy on people that are not willing to go along with them, WHO CARES ? And who are you to tell them they are immoral ?

I will no deny there are issues in the world, neither will i deny some fictions may have pushed people over the wrong edge. But come on. The problems is at a much higher level than this shitsekai. If this is the piece of work that made you think slavery is okayish and treating others like shit will is a good way to earn their favours, you have serious issues that should be dealt with.

And I never meant to tell you that you're not allowed to write your opinion. Ofc you are. And thank god you are able to. But i'd like to be able to say you're pissing me off and i find your reasoning completely full of shit the same way.

Contributor
@olopoi:

It never is a questionable argument, people like you like to question it because they are very good at seeing the mote in the eye of others and not the beam in yours. Do shit for real people first, change what's happening close to you, then go speak about fictional characters being represented in a way you don't like.

Except, the fundamental logistics problem with that, is that if one only tackles big issues like that, then nobody's left to tackle the little ones.

And little problems will become big problems if everyone just ignores them.

To be clear: I'm not saying I was necessarily doing anything useful here (I mean, the comment you responded to was me responding to someone else responding to my earlier comment which was, at heart, just a two-line hot-take). But, like, taking this to the extreme: If we never talk about the ethics of what we're consuming in fiction, that's going to cause its own problems (I mean, fiction gives people ideas about how the world works—just look at how many people's understanding of some stuff is framed by what they've seen from hollywood? This is more subtle when it comes to effects on abstract stuff like sexism, but the effect is real.)

You're obviously a smart person, well educated and you seem to care for the betterment of humanity but running a morals check on everything you encounter is a pretty bad way to go about it and you are wasting your energy and intelligence. Let some people have their kinks/fantasy, even if they are shitty. It's always better that they play them out in fiction rather than stay bottled up and either explode and do crazy shit, or stay depressed all their life. The important part is how people act.

I'm actually fully in agreement with this where extreme behaviour is concerned (e.g. violent video games are if anything correlated to less real-world violence, not more), but that is predicated on people understanding correctly what is wrong with the narratives they're reading. And there is, potentially, a real problem if fiction does participate in the normalization of (different from just the portrayal of) something awful that shows up commonly in everyday life (say, as straightforward examples, racism, or non-consensual sex).

If this is the piece of work that made you think slavery is okayish and treating others like shit will is a good way to earn their favours, you have serious issues that should be dealt with.

I mean, that's fair, and this isn't normally the work I'd choose as a hill to die on in this manner. I mean, most of this comment section is pretty clear-headed about what they're reading here. That this ever went beyond me just saying briefly, "dear god, this is godawful", is really just a byproduct of how this particular discussion happened to evolve from there.

If they act with respect and don't force these fantasy on people that are not willing to go along with them, WHO CARES ? And who are you to tell them they are immoral ?

I did say that the manner in which people consume this stuff is important, because of the moral issues: I don't recall saying "I'm judging everyone who has read this". Certainly that wasn't intended. I mean, I myself f**king read this, at least up to this point (though TBH I do judge my own self for what I read sometimes XD ).

...I am for-reals judging the author though. Not like, "what a horrible person," to be clear, this is just at a, "dude, that's kinda messed up," level.
Though I would probably be quieter about it if this wasn't a piracy site and I at all thought the author might read this (Ah, piracy! An example of where I am distinctly not taking the moral high ground, I suppose. I shall simply have to eat my own words with a salad).

Users who are viewing this thread