Major infrastructure upgrade and warning about fake sites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you type "Mangadex" on google, there's still another one with a different domain too. That makes it five

Just reported the sites, everyone should do it takes a couple minutes and is real easy. Thanks for all the upgrades and stuff!

Thanks for all the work guys. Looks like we know who is likely the cause of the DDOS too.

Thanks for the heads up, I set up my security.

Also I think their are Anti-Mangadex shills posting to other forums like reddit's /r/manga. There have been a lot of "Mangadex bad" post lately.

Reported each domain. I'd love to donate right now, but i'm financially unstable, so all I can do for the moment is those reports. Hope to be in better straights soon so I can help such a good site.

@Plykiya

Do you know if it is possible to have users choose whether to enable or disable the site to be able to utilize web cryptomining? I think this feature can still give some money to support Mangadex while avoiding the creepy ads. It's kind of like what many different news/editorial websites are doing, giving the option to turn off AdBlocker or enable web mining. In this case, even if there are no ads, I still believe users should be able to choose whether to enable or disable mining so there would not be a toll on the CPU (I tend to use a single chrome window with 100+ tabs of mangadex on) and for those of us who would like to support this without donating (us teenagers without credit cards) then this could be a viable option.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@EOTFOFYL People were paranoid about security and didn't make accounts till we did. 2FA was one of the earliest requested features on the site. Generally a good feature to have in general. All staff use it as well

Fed-Kun's army
Are you guys gonna put a payment option for cryptocurrencies btw? I would love to donate some BTC bc I don't want big bro watching me.

Ok found some more sites, the second one is kind of questionable for the next course of action

@Plykiya

I don't know how to post an image with on this so I converted my text into hex and it's pasted here, just convert it back.
http://string-functions.com/hex-string.aspx

Hex value:
46616b652073697465733a0d0a68747470733a2f2f6d616e67616465782e75732f0d0a0d0a4e6f74207265616c6c792066616b6520736974652c206275742064756e6e6f20776879206974206578697374733a0d0a687474703a2f2f6d616e67616465782e6d6f652f

Dex-chan lover
@Plykiya

It makes sense I guess.
But then again this account
has zero value.

(Although I would hate to stop pumping out these haikus)

Fed-Kun's army
I've noticed the fake mangadex sites when doing google searches. When I saw them, one of my first thoughts was that they were made by the other advertisement-filled aggregator sites, such as kussmunga, mangokackerlat, and mangorack. <-- deliberately misspelling to not endorse or in any way link to them

The reason I had that thought is because it would make sense if they were the ones making the fake mangadex sites (rather than former batoto users), because mangadex is probably doing a good job of siphoning off their traffic, so they would make fake sites to try to get some of that ad revenue back that they're losing because of users moving to mangadex.

My other thought was that the ad-filled aggregator sites are the a-holes behind the frequent DDoS attacks.

Their actions are all driven by their lust for money. Mangadex is a victim of its own success.

@Matsuura
"About servers images near full capacity: let groups create diferent intro and credit pages, who be placed automatically on each chapter, can free a little bit of space? These images are dupplicate for each chapters."

The scanlation roles can vary on a per chapter basis, so the credits pages will often list different group members. That lack of consistency makes the idea unsuitable. Although some groups do have a consistent lineup, especially if it's a one or two person group.

In any case, the space saved would likely be negligible.

Dex-chan lover
@kn1000a
Apparently that shady and new bato.to owner not only clone MD, but also all the other popular manga sites as well. In total they have at least 10 clone sites from various manga reader names (besides MD: Mangakalot, MangaRock, you name it), up and running with similar style and that ugly text-font logo at the top.

Is there a better way to mass report the people behind this whole scam? Probably none, huh.

i dunno...but reckon that since they're shady AF maybe we should get Anonymous on our side lol.

jokes aside best you can do now is to just report ALL the clones to google for phishing because honestly what WOULDN'T they do. hopefully in the future we can shut them down so the batoto domain can be in better, non-suspicious hands. right now it's like seeing your granma's grave being used as a public toilet. with neon lights. real shiny neon lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread