Major infrastructure upgrade and warning about fake sites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Hi everyone!

Hopefully you have noticed that CloudFlare's active DDoS mitigation (attack mode and captchas) have been switched off for the past 2 days. RSS feeds should also work normally again. This is because we have upgraded the database - it now spans multiple servers to cope with the ever increasing volume of users (and the frequent DDoS attacks). In addition, our image servers (8TB) are also approaching 95% capacity, and we are currently in the process of replacing these with higher capacity servers (16TB). This is the most significant upgrade to our infrastructure since Christmas, when the webserver and database were split to separate servers.

Our current monthly costs are updated on the support page. A big thanks to everyone who has contributed - these upgrades would not be possible without your generosity. To everyone else, please consider supporting us!

In addition, we have a further announcement to make regarding the fake sites that have been popping up all over the place.

It's come to our attention that the not-so-fine people who bought the old Batoto site have decided to use our name with FOUR fake domains. All the sites share resources with the mother "company", so it's pretty clear who is behind this scam - anyacg/batoto/mangawindow/mangadogs/mangapark.

qGXuIxY.png

3vf21bY.png

LzV4m75.png

Mangadex is a non-profit website. While we do accept donations to help cover the cost of the bills we have no desire to actually profit off the content on the site. Furthermore, most people will be aware by now that we link to official versions where available, and also places to buy manga in the interest of supporting the industry where possible.

Having these fake sites use our name damages it and misrepresents us and the very values we have tried to uphold as a site - the very same values that a lot of people who use the site have stuck around for. Not only that but it puts us more on the radar with publishers and makes us look like another in the long line of clone sites that try to profit off manga with ads.

So with that said, we'd like to request the help of anyone willing to spare a few minutes to report them to Google as phishing sites. The only domains we own are mangadex.com and mangadex.org. If you see any other domains with our name, please report them to google as well.

If you are willing to help you can do so at the following links: https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/?rd=1&hl=en and https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/support/report-unsafe-site

I'll include the urls as an image. I do not want to give them traffic or validate their sites in the eyes of a Google bot by having links to them from this site. So please do not post the links in this thread.

cy412gp.png

Please add the urls from the picture and fill out the comment box with your reason. IE "phishing attempt of mangadex.org".

As a side note on security, you can make your account more secure by enabling two-factor-authentication. See Bocchi-sensei! Teach me MangaDex! for how to enable it on Mangadex. The tutorial that is so good it is even endorsed by other sites.

ZCDtECp.png

uu22wuw.png

Thanks for your time.

Contributor
When you are so popular other people are jealous...
Mangadex.org >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> phishing sites though

Dex-chan lover
Wow that is ironic. Teach me mangadex on mangakalot...I wonder what group could be behind all those DDOS attacks?

I reported them to Google. Took less than 5 minutes. Worth the tiny bit of time to help this website.

There should be a feature that you can turn on ads, if you want to support Mangadex, but don't have money. Of course this option would be off by default, but you could get an 'ad supporter' badge for supporting Mangadex in that way.

I'm not sure you can quite shutdown the other websites for phishing though, as they aren't stealing any credentials. Worth a shot though.
Keep up the good work!

is a Reindeer
VIP
@williamx Part of the issue of implementing ads is that the content on our site is in a legal grey area. Ad networks that would support our website would be pretty sketchy. We aren't interested in exposing our users to that, and the lack of ads is mainly our own personal preference. Ads are gross :x

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you for your hardwork. I would love to report them. At least that's what i can do to help you guys. Keep being awesome!

Miku best girl
Admin
Besides financially, you can also support us in many other ways, such as liking/following us on our various social media channels, as well as recommending us to your friends etc.

The new way of loading pictures that you have implemented is this part of it? Because you now have the worst load times out of any site that hosts manga.
That will only push people away and should probably be worked on faster than whatever else you are working on.
image failed to load, image failed to load, image failed to load, image failed to load, You get the point?

Staff
Admin
@Badboll

Have you tried changing image servers? I personally hardly ever get a failed image.

Failing that have you checked it's not an issue on your end? Routing to us? We aren't getting any reports on mass image failing for people, so doesn't look like it is affecting anyone else.

Miku best girl
Admin
@Badboll

We haven't changed the method of loading images. This is most likely a problem on your end. Come find us on Discord for support if you can't fix it.

Dex-chan lover
Can't afford to this month, but will be setting up a subcription come June.

Also reported those sites, it takes literally minutes to do.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Just to be clear, the changes I recently made to the reader were only related to the architecture of the script and did absolutely nothing to how the image requests are sent and received. That part is still 100% the same as it has always been.

Apparently that shady and new bato.to owner not only clone MD, but also all the other popular manga sites as well. In total they have at least 10 clone sites from various manga reader names (besides MD: Mangakalot, MangaRock, you name it), up and running with similar style and that ugly text-font logo at the top.

Is there a better way to mass report the people behind this whole scam? Probably none, huh.

Part of the issue of implementing ads is that the content on our site is in a legal grey area.

As much as I appreciate this site, lets not kid ourselves. There's no grey about it.

Contributor
First Attempt :
Lets Nuke DDOS'ed Them
Second Attempt :
Lets Create a Fake Phishing Site

What a Dick Move, Seriously. is This the ugliest human nature?? , This is why Thanos Want to annihilate the whole Human Race -_-

conquestking
Wow that is ironic. Teach me mangadex on mangakalot...I wonder what group could be behind all those DDOS attacks?
Probably Yes or No. But I'm 100% sure "Teach me mangadex" on aggregator because of BOTS stealing our bandwidth

About servers images near full capacity: let groups create diferent intro and credit pages, who be placed automatically on each chapter, can free a little bit of space? These images are dupplicate for each chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread