Majutsu wo Kiwamete Tabi ni Deta Tensei Elf, Moteamashita Jumyou de Ikeru Densetsu to naru - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Chapter 2

Dex-chan lover
sigh this is already starting to disappoint me… reaaaaally hope this isn’t gonna be a stupid story
Oh boy it will. It probably will. That's how most isekai mangas are. Usually, the first or second chapter will be fine. Anything beyond the prologue will suddenly shift into just your everyday generic isekai manga.

Dex-chan lover
I just want to see him leave the village already. This prologue feels so dragged out even though it's skimming over 100 years of stuff.

Dex-chan lover
them old elves are real stupid for their age

I mean... Not for nothing are elves often depicted as hyper conservative. When you get older, you get more set in your ways, less able to cope with The New... And they've been old for a long-ass time. So they've had a lot of time to pass on their values to their children.

I could easily imagine the scars, hatreds, fears from a great war 4000 years ago still having an effect on their society. Entire human kingdoms could have risen and fallen, and they'd still remember and tell stories about Those Four Kingdoms Wot Hated Us And Everyone We Stand For.

Add in the isolationist nature, not even trying to look at the outside world much... It's not "stupid", per se... But a mindset that's "worked for us for two, three generations, so it should work for our kids, too." The timescale's just much, much longer than human society's.

Dex-chan lover
So this is like a copy of "Enough with This Slow Life! I Was Reincarnated as a High Elf and Now I’m Bored", but with an ironically speedier pace. That series, though, goes into far greater depth on the curse of having such a long life in comparison to all those around you, where as here it seems to be very nonchalant about it ("oh that was 20 years ago lol").

Though this just started, it doesn't feel like it's really set up what it's going to be about besides our MC being good at magic.
Eh it just looks like a speed run of his "childhood". 'Enough of this slow life' started when the MC was around 1000 and was functionally immoral.

Here we start when MC is 10 and blitz thrue the next 90 years because they are ultimately unimportant.

It covers the important bits, training up his ungodly mana pool and then learning every scrap of magic the village owns or could obtain.

It would be exceedingly stupid for the fast pace of the story to continue after leaving the village. Not only because it would be rather boring for the audience, but also because the MC has a finite amount of time to live.

I expect once MC meets up with the girl he saved from the muscle wolves and slavers things will start moving at a more normal pace. Ev3n if the time skips continue, they will be more on the order of months rather then decades.

Dex-chan lover
Sorry for the turbo-negativity, buuut...

Pacing is awful, why is it a speedrun to OP? Why not flesh out the character of the human he met and have this age difference feel way more impactful? Multiple weird choices, the editor must be real bad. Was the writer told he only has four chapters?

Dex-chan lover
Its like that other manga with the elf but this one is more Op despite having a shorter lifespan

Dex-chan lover
"We'll meet again in seven years..."
What is he, the Master Sword from Ocarina of Time? LMAO

Dex-chan lover
She probably meant that while he may have power and technique, that alone is not enough to live in the human world.
Poisoning, assassination, taking hostages, blackmailing,....There are many methods to make someone strong yield without using force.
Possibly. It's a reasonable assumption. Considering she used a battlefield as a comparison for what he'll likely face, there's also the possibility the first thing she'd think about are the immediate dangers of the outside. If she meant the finer nuances of dealing with humans, I can't help but feel she could have used a different idiom which could serve as a better comparison.

Well, we'll see eventually.

Double-page supporter
So this is like a copy of "Enough with This Slow Life! I Was Reincarnated as a High Elf and Now I’m Bored", but with an ironically speedier pace. That series, though, goes into far greater depth on the curse of having such a long life in comparison to all those around you, where as here it seems to be very nonchalant about it ("oh that was 20 years ago lol").

Though this just started, it doesn't feel like it's really set up what it's going to be about besides our MC being good at magic.
I'm hoping the time disparity becomes more a thing once he leaves the village and starts interacting/living with people who move at a different pace than his new norm

Dex-chan lover
I actually really like how this is going. I look forward to more chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread