MangaDex Is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm certain from my extensive manga reading that the best way for Mangadex staff to raise money when desperate is for you to moonlight at a host club.

(Thanks for your hard work with everything.)

Staff
Designer
I am always amazed by some replies that there are people who must seem to think servers grow on trees or something ...
Then again, there surely are a lot of younger users on this site and I dont wanna remember all the stuff I wrote when I was 13 or something lol

Contributor
But there's always the chance YoumightRemember, isn't there?

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Really happy MD is back hope you guys wont be affected I just saw this
Takeshobo vs Cloudflare
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-07/takeshobo-manga-creator-sue-cloudflare-for-offering-service-to-piracy-sites/.155108

Group Leader
Does anyone know why most countries have it working, but not the UK? Tired of using a VPN.

Glad it's mostly working though, so thanks to the Mangadex team.

Group Leader
@Yahiroz - no clue. Each of us have tried changing the server from "auto" to "NA/EU 1" as suggested, but it didn't help. Considering we're in Scotland and England, with totally different ISPs, and both tried clearing our caches and stuff, it just seems odd. It's working absolutely fine on a proxy from any country; just to test it, I set the proxy to the UK, and it still wouldn't work.

It seemed odd that on two different UK computers, and a UK proxy, it won't work, but it'll work from other countries (both anecdotally from others and when we use the proxy set to abroad).

This is the series we're working on: https://mangadex.cc/title/19949/kinnikuman-nisei-ultimate-choujin-tag

None of the much older chapters will work at all, except for our American translator or if we use proxies.

@Machineguns ah you mean the older chapters, then yes, same here just checked and it's not working for me. Using an Asian or NA VPN it works but testing with an EU VPN, it doesn't work there so could be an issue with the EU servers at the moment?

@yahiroz, @machineguns
just w8 some day, the curent data migration of older chapter is not over yet.
although its a bit late compared to the original Schedule (the begining of the week ),
they still are in time in view of the huge amount of data they have to move .
they probably do an other anouncment if they can't end this quickly or/and have some technical issues that who might delay the end of the transfer.

Group Leader
@nuttydesu wow, so all those ddos attack pre-cloudflare till now (terminating cloudflare service) is coming from nippon publisher, i hope MD still survive with that (remember those first year where MD cant load at all pre-cloudflare service)

Double-page supporter
This is great news.

The outage does illustrate the need for an external communication stream. While searching for news about MangaDex.org, I found that there's a Twitter feed (I don't generally use Twitter, so I didn't know about this before). The content was a bit old, though, and didn't really address progress on the host move. Was I missing some other source of announcements during this bleak time of no MangaDex?

Oh, and thanks for all the hard work! I really appreciate it.

Older chapters are now working for me, although I noticed the Privacy Badger extension was wrongly blocking the s*.mangadex.org domain which prevented images from loading.

Fed-Kun's army
*Still denies the existance of boruto and believes that the Naruto franchise ended with Shippuden.*

@TjapDjemboet actually considering the legal ramifications of sending out a DDoS or other cyber based attack the culprit is likely not an active publisher or author. That would be a big PR hit. The headlines would be similar to them sending Yakuza to beat down an illegal uploader.

Most likely it’s a rival site who has more to gain and has less to lose from an attack being found out. These sites(manga, anime, non-American content) operate in a legal grey area. While technically it’s legally questionable, many works being uploaded have no copyright outside of Japan to violate so it’s not gonna be handled as a priority. With this being said unscrupulous owners will see nothing wrong in taking out the competition with a few bucks and a dark-web site. Hell even app and app owners have the platform to infect thousands or millions of computers to have their own sizable bot-net and can hijack their userbases devices to send massive attacks.

Hell it could even be a 3rd party that is just looking for ransom. They find a pigeon, sites like this work for reason above or even private videogame servers. Sites that can’t just call police and say My business is under attack. Take the site down for a few days send the note saying if you want your site/server to run smoothly send me $150 a month else I will keep your site down till I get bored. These people will hide behind proxies and fake emails to keep themselves from being figured out. They are also from all over the world so even if prosecuting them is possible Interpol and their government level police forces are needed to take action if it’s even illegal in their country to begin with.

Dex-chan lover
@Blusasuke While those are the most likely you can't rule out a shady copyright-enforcement company hired by one of the publishers going rogue and doing a DDoS. If so they probably didn't tell their client about it at all, and the client probably wouldn't have approved if they had been told (if for no other reason than the legal concerns). Some of those copyright-enforcement companies are really scummy.

I think there still a problem with this new extension of mangadex... I can load the image of any manga I read on this site,,, its always failed to load the image, no matter how good or bad my internet connection,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread