MangaDex v3 is live, and a general site update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
@Holo
Thanks - but i really like new design, and script writing is even better. For now, i'm having fun with javascript (by Greasemonkey), which scrolls through all page, then returns to the top, which works fine.
After solving that, i say that new version is really nice - thumbs up.

Is there a way to turn off the fact that whenever i scroll up to the top or down a page it goes to the next page/chapter when I'm not done reading I use my arrow keys to navigate the page on my laptop and I know that the left and right arrow keys turn pages but now the up and down ones are too and that is making me go to the next page when i'm not done reading.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@No1Kenkaku posted:

At time of writing this, the reader is not working on IE.
And sadly it probably never will. Upgrade to a modern browser or use legacy.

@saitohd posted:

Also long strip mode won't load all images now as it used to before the update
@OnlyAlphanumericCharacters posted:

If "Preload images (0 to 5)" instead had the option to preload **ALL** the images, this would be so much better for me.
This is by design, as loading all images at once is unnecessarily demanding on the site. That's why it was restricted to registered users only before.

@spons posted:

I don't want to go to the next/previous chapter just by scrolling.
There's a setting to turn it off.

Thanks for getting back to me I think I just jumped the gun a bit I read some comments and saw someone already asked and got an answer. That was a quick response I really appreciate it.

I'll see if turning the "End of chapter" block into "Go to next chapter" or something would help. So far I hadn't done that because I felt like there were enough options to turn the page anyway.

This would be a major improvement to me personally and would be the last thing I'd miss from the legacy reader. At the moment I have disabled the click to advance due to wanting more blank space to click to bring focus to my browser window without progressing the chapter, and this combined with long-strip made it a bit of a hassle to switch chapter using only the mouse. Having a small button at the bottom to go to the next chapter would help out immensely. (Or the old legacy behavior where only clicking the image counts would also work.)

@remlei

If you're interested, I made a Firefox extension which allows you to specify the width you want the images to be. It also has a few other options, like fixing the navbar to the top of the page (instead of the top of the screen) so that when you scroll down, you get more screen space for the image.

It has a few other features as well.
I made a post about it here: https://mangadex.org/thread/15505

Is there any way to get have the option of using the previous reader? I prefer the simple layout without all extra options

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@GerryCerryBerry posted:

IMO the space between two manga pages in the new reader is way too small. I don't really have a grasp where the old page ends and the new page starts without paying extra attention to it. In the legacy version of the reader it is made pretty clear due to a wider margin being used between pages. Is there a way to change that in the new reader?
It'd be fairly easy to change the css in a userstyle. It doesn't seem to me like it's important enough to warrant a settings option.
Code:
.reader:not(.native-long-strip) .reader-image-wrapper { padding: 1px; }

@Wolfraing posted:

This little space it doesn´t seem like much, But, it make it easier to not get confuse when reading on the "long Strip mode", and it need to be put back or change the color to something more visible, Because right now, Is really confusing.
Oh right, it's not as obviously visible with a white theme. Not sure what to do about that other than userstyles, even 2px looks too wide on a dark theme.

@GoldenFury posted:

The scrolling using up and down arrows is messed up. It jerks then goes super slow. None of the settings just scroll like a normal site. It's very frustrating since the old version scrolled fine.
This is something I just forgot to improve. I think the scrolling works perfectly well on Firefox which I use to dev, but browsers like Chrome don't work as nicely. I'll address it in a future update for sure.

@Kanami-chan posted:

the new one is super clunky and not responsive
Would be good to hear what specifically you don't find responsive about it, so that I might try and see if it can be improved.

@Teasday
I'm one of those people who still using mozilla and older OS desktop... and i found this v.3 is horrible and looked like a broken/half-assed designed site... i'd like to have an option to revert back to previous version (if possible)...

Contributor
Latest Chrome version, reader navigation by arrow keys not working properly:
turning back with left arrow works fine but right arrow does nothing

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, that's... gonna take a while to get used to. So, umm, should I continuously scroll down to make the chapter load in the longstrip format? And what do I do when I reach "end of chapter" message, scroll all the way up?
Ah, I can click/tap on the last page, hmm... This will do for now, though it's still less convenient than before.

Ahh, it's a bit frustrating!
Please help me out here guys: is there a way (a hidden option?) to at least make all the pages load at once, like on v2.0?

Dex-chan lover
is there any way to return to the old version? nothing is loading and it's all too complicated :-( i liked the simplicity of the old version

Can we have an option to toggle Reading History? I understand its helpful for some users, but I'd rather not have it for myself.

EDIT: Actually, the whole "stats" tab is concerning to see, seeing as there's no options. I just want to read stuff, not turn it into a metagame.

I like the dark slate theme. Less contrast than the normal one.

Edit: Only problem from me is the white lines on the manga info pages

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@idle_af posted:

It would be nice if you increased the threshold even more. It's still too "slippery"
> * [fix] Moving to a next or previous chapter by mouse wheel scrolling in long strip mode now has a slight threshold to prevent accidental chapter changing
Maybe I should. I don't know if I'm just overly careful about scrolling, but I almost lowered the threshold because to me it felt too rigid lol.

@Truck-kun posted:

The new reader is as broken in older versions of iOS Safari as when I reported it two months ago.
It's transpiled as babel-preset-env. I'm guessing the problem is related to stuff like classList that old browsers don't implement properly. I don't have iPads or anything so testing this stuff isn't exactly going to be simple, but I'll look into adding some shivs and pray to god that fixes it.

Not really liking the update on mobile especially on my tablet the original settings for reading I really really loved but this ..... ehh I don't hate it but I'm finding it to be a slight pain with the image sizes

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@digitalromance77 posted:

Teasday
I'm one of those people who still using mozilla and older OS desktop... and i found this v.3 is horrible and looked like a broken/half-assed designed site... i'd like to have an option to revert back to previous version (if possible)...
I'm not in charge of anything but the reader

@eelzbean posted:

Latest Chrome version, reader navigation by arrow keys not working properly:
turning back with left arrow works fine but right arrow does nothing
Well that's... bizarre, haven't heard about this problem yet. The WASD keys should work exactly like arrow keys, could you test with A and D? Does this happen only in specific chapters? Which display fit and rendering mode?

@MisakaxMisaka posted:

Not really liking the update on mobile especially on my tablet the original settings for reading I really really loved but this ..... ehh I don't hate it but I'm finding it to be a slight pain with the image sizes
Do none of the display fit options work for you? What would you like to see instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread