MangaDex v3 is live, and a general site update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply. Wonderful to have such responsive staff! (P.S. I found out how to use the legacy ready so I'm still a happy camper!) @Teasday

I'm not a big fan of the new listing layout that we'd see if our follows has a new chapter out. We normally read 'lists' downwards, and not right to left then down and repeat. With the new layout, this is what we need to do in order to see any new items on our list, it's just awkward and unconventional.

That said, I do like the tabs for 'All' and 'Follow', just not how all the releases are listed.

Do none of the display fit options work for you? What would you like to see instead?

I actually liked the old version since every image stayed the same so far I'm noticing everything keeps switching from width to default which I have to move back to width just to read

I loved the original it will take time to get used to the update
"major reader/lurker"

Aggregator gang
On page 1 of Latest Update then you don't have the date for the chapter release, but on page 2 then you have it. Please also add for page 1. I usually look at the chapter release date to remember which was the latest manga update.

@Teasday
> Maybe I should. I don't know if I'm just overly careful about scrolling, but I almost lowered the threshold because to me it felt too rigid lol.

I'm browsing from my PC if that helps. Using the scroll wheel makes it feel too slippery. Maybe it's a different experience with mobile users.
Edit: Seeing as I'm the only one complaining about it I guess you shouldn't take me too seriously

Contributor
@Teasday it's working fine now after messing around with settings and refreshing, thanks for the reply!
Vertical scrolling feels laggy though, and upping the speed to get around that doesn't really help haha

A question: if I set the reader to single-page and resizing to x width,
how would that work if the uploader put in an extra-wide "page" for a two-page spread?
Same width, doubled, other?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@idle_af posted:

I'm browsing from my PC if that helps. Using the scroll wheel makes it feel too slippery. Maybe it's a different experience with mobile users.
I was talking about PC too since there's no mouse on mobile lol. It's probably just a difference in either the mouse or how we're using it.

edit: Just updated the reader, the threshold was changed from 4 ticks to 6. Let me know if it's better.

@MisakaxMisaka posted:

I actually liked the old version since every image stayed the same so far I'm noticing everything keeps switching from width to default which I have to move back to width just to read
I'm sorry but I don't really understand. Whatever display fit option as well as every other option you choose should be remembered when you open another chapter.

Miku best girl
Admin
In the new reader, the image preloading limit has been increased to 20 for logged in users. This should hopefully mitigate some of the problems that people were having with not enough images being preloaded.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@eelzbean posted:

@Teasday it's working fine now after messing around with settings and refreshing, thanks for the reply!
Vertical scrolling feels laggy though, and upping the speed to get around that doesn't really help haha

A question: if I set the reader to single-page and resizing to x width,
how would that work if the uploader put in an extra-wide "page" for a two-page spread?
Same width, doubled, other?
Yeah, key scrolling is not working as it should be on Chrome, sorry about that. Hoping to fix that soon

Unfortunately the maximum container width is absolute, it doesn't take into account possible double spreads. I can't magically know which ones should be double speads, which ones are group credits pages or any other "non-standard" vertical pages, so trying to guess could lead to all kinds of weird behaviour. I decided to just treat the maximum width as the maximum width, like it says on the tin.

The manga page/image becomes smaller on mobile when switched to landscape. Please make it automatically fit to width when on landscape. Also when it switched back to portrait, the image/page remains small.

I'm using Chrome on Android. I read manga most of the time on my phone than on desktop. Because it is too portable.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@eSPiYa posted:

The manga page/image becomes smaller on mobile when switched to landscape. Please make it automatically fit to width when on landscape. Also when it switched back to portrait, the image/page remains small.

I'm using Chrome on Android. I read manga most of the time on my phone than on desktop. Because it is too portable.
I'm sorry, but this is a browser issue that I tried my hardest to work around. Nothing I could do about it. I think it should be fixed just by turning the page, but if that doesn't work a refresh would.

Fed-Kun's army
@Teasday

Please fix it, Sorry i don't know what to do aswell, But please, Fix it.

Is really needed, It seems like a little thing, But believe me it is so worth it, That you don't have a clue how much do you need it.

Group Leader
@Holo
Thanks for increasing limit. I'm checking it now, but scroll bar is acting really strange.
If i stay in one place (for example first page), scroll bar looks like it had only something like 3 or 5 pages loaded. Although in reality it loads these 20 pages, the scroll bar does not show it, until i start scrolling down.
It seems to be only small visual bug, but it's worth checking.
(I'm using firefox, did not check on other browsers)

I guess I'll check back in a couple of days. Using Safari on an iPad and all the reader pages are blank and the pull downs say "no options."

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Wolfraing posted:

Please fix it, Sorry i don't know what to do aswell, But please, Fix it.

Is really needed, It seems like a little thing, But believe me it is so worth it, That you don't have a clue how much do you need it.
After looking at it I decided the slightly bigger gap on light theme was worth making the dark theme look slightly worse for my eyes. It'll be updated later.

@Irian posted:

Thanks for increasing limit. I'm checking it now, but scroll bar is acting really strange.
If i stay in one place (for example first page), scroll bar looks like it had only something like 3 pages loaded. Although in reality it loads these 20 pages, the scroll bar does not show it, until i start scrolling down.
It seems to be only small visual bug, but it's worth checking.
(I'm using firefox, did not check on other browsers)
This isn't a visual bug, it's how the reader works at the moment. The pages are preloaded in the background, but that doesn't mean they're added onto the page immediately.

But to think about it, on long strip mode that doesn't necessarily need to be the case unlike on single or double. I'll put this on my todo list.

Contributor
Oh dang, it looks niiiiiiiice. Definitely going to try out some of the new themes. I'm excited to see others' lists... and probably unfollow some manga if I decide to make mine public. No one must know of my shit tastes and guilty pleasure manga...

Can we please just have an option to resize all the images to a standard legacy reader's image size centered in the middle of the page? I'm literally getting eye strain from looking to the left of the screen because the image is not in the center.

The pixel restricted container option just doesn't work that well in practice because your image files have huge differences in pixel sizes and quality so your containers being restricted by pixels means the image SHOWN keeps changing bloody sizes. Meaning the restricted container results in images that are resized differently each time. A high quality image shows up as this stunted tiny image, A low quality one gets blown up into a giant covering half my screen.

The problem gets worse the bigger the tablet or laptop screen, fit to display width, height etc gets absurd on Tablets and my laptop and as I said, the pixel restriction container options keeps changing the image sizes because the image files themselves are vastly different in quality and pixel count so they bloat and shrink accordingly which is REALLY IRRITATING.

I do not want to keep fiddling with resizing to prevent the image from filling half the screen, only appearing on the left side of the screen etc because it's no longer being resized in a legacy reader style image container, especially if it's no actually centered IN THE MIDDLE.

All I want is the image centered in the middle and resized to the same image size regardless of the actual damn pixels and quality of the images. I do not want to have to fiddle every time with options because all the images and pixels are different on all the images.

If you want to leave the crazy settings and options for customization fine, but just give us options for standardized resized image containers instead of this for consistency sake.
--------------------------
Again, for repetition the resized container option just doesn't work because again, you image files have huge differences in pixel sizes and quality so your containers being restricted by pixels means the image SHOWN keeps changing bloody sizes.

I just want the image to BE the same size REGARDLESS of image quality every time so I don't have to keep clicking options after I do it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread