MangaDex v5 Dev Suggestions: The Real Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 sugestions

1. the ability to filter/hide a series would be nice, AFAIK there's only the ability to do this for scanlation groups or for H stuff
2. the ability to hide officially available in english (or your chosen language) series, realistically i'm only here for the stuff that hasn't been picked up yet but i guess with this comes the what if it's no longer in print or the publisher went bust scenario

@ bosswoman
The only thing I would like to see new add here would be an email alert when a new chapter is out for a manga your reading

it's a better than nothing method but you could set an IFTTT account up and use the RSS feed applet along with the RSS feed for your follows page that'll send you an email everytime you have a new chapter available

allow sort by Chapter count?
allow to preview chapter count?
I've been forever looking for these features, sometimes you just wanna read anything with some length to pass time and this'll help a lot

a possible non resource intensive solution is to just have a JSON or a text file and use JS to find the chapter count client side and update that list once a day on a set time, it's not the best way of doing it but it'll do its job just fine
tldr: offload resource intensive operation to client

i don't know how you structure your database but another solution is to just add a column/table that is specifically there just to count the chapters and update it each time someone uploads a new chapter
tldr: proper normalized databases

thanks![

Contributor
Dunno if it's already planned, but it would be nice to separate the related H manga from the normal related manga. As in, another section if related H manga exist. Stuff like Index has lots of related H, which bury the normal related.

Group Leader
Request of Group Scanlation Interview and increase of upload size.
That's pretty much it.

Group Leader
Hover over the eye icon that denotes views in the table to show total views for the series, I know that it shows it above but I still think it would make sense.

I really don't feel like sifting through 16 pages so forgive me if this has already been mentioned/discussed:

I'd like to be able to hide all "Dropped" series from the "Latest Updates"(All) feed.

I'd also like "Completed" series to still appear in my "Follows" feed. I wind up missing some extra content (omake, epilogue, etc) released later because I've marked it as complete and it doesn't show up in follows. (Its also marked as read too, which gets annoying in this exact situation. Can "Complete" just mark the series as so, without showing every chapter as read?)

Just an addition to an already planned feature, it would be nice if you could add an option to still show "plan to read" manga after excluding followed manga from the search.

Dex-chan lover
When I am reading in long strip mode, I would like to be able to go to the comment page from the end of the chapter, instead of having to scroll all the way back to the top.

@AbyssalMonkey
Would probably kill any mobile device. That also seems like a metric shit ton of data.
Maybe, maybe not. they could separate it per language and just put the most basic info on some format like |40248;34..|44110:1 ( |ID;Count )(used real IDs btw)
doesn't have to be human readable
a simple script could do all that, they can just pre sort it before publishing it and just retrieve the content in order with a single query
they could easily implement this since it's mostly independent to their database

assuming that mangadex titles its mangas incrementally, as of writing this, mangadex only has 44,112 mangas
with the formatting system i casually proposed earlier (|ID;Count)
assuming that every manga has 3 digit chapter counts i.e. 999 in total for all languages, storing all the data would only amount to 441.12 kB (10bytes * 44112)
that's less than half an MB, with 42 languages that equates an average of 10.5 kilobytes per file which isn't really alot

the JS just has to query 40 mangas in sequence and they'll be finished i.e querying the first 40 mangas, and querying the next when needed

doing it this way is a possible bypass to any bottlenecks they might have since everything have already been pre sorted and the server would only recieve a single simple and neat query.. i.e
SELECT * FROM mangas WHERE id IN( ID1,ID2...,ID40 )

heck, they could even host the file in github like how adblocker list are hosted there

Being able to upvote/downvote chapter comments would be great. Especially if we could then sort comments by upvotes. Kinda annoying that currently you have to go through tens of 4 word comments before finding something actually interesting.

this has probably been already suggested a lot but the reading list should work like in novelupdates: don't show individual chapters, just show your subscribed titles sorted by latest chapter release

Apologies if this was all ready mentioned, but can the finished list not mark all chapters as read. If there are multiple versions of the chapters it is nice to know what version I read previously. Also it helps if extras get added later after a series is done. Right now they get automatically marked as read even if they haven’t been.

Dex-chan lover
A suggestion: i hope this wont put much burden, but i want to remember whatever i have wrote wherever in the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread