MangaDex v5 Dev Suggestions: The Real Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
OH I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE

An updated waifu when you swipe left on mobile. I love Miku as much as the next person, but she has been there for... nearly a year? New season, new site, new pic!

Group Leader
Honestly, all I want is a button that opens the first chapter of whatever language you have set so I don't have to go find it, just a small convenience, but one I desperately want

Please add these features to the Latest Updates page:
1. The country origin of the Title
2. Add a differentiation between Title that I follow and not following
3. Auto marking the new chapters that was already read
4. Able to mark or remove any Title that I'm not interested to read.

Actually, make it easier to filter for hentai mangas in search mode, like specifying the search tags to include hentai or not

It may more or less sound redundant but would it be alright to implement a preview of a manga when hovering over it at the home page? It will reduce my 108 tabs by 80% :^)

Another suggestion, having a "Similar Works" section when looking at a manga title page of sorts. Helps with discovering new manga.

Group Leader
For the love of god, just, let me completely filter out chinese and korean "manga" from front page. (front page, NOT search)
There's no reason to not being able to do this.
Or perhaps MD admins actually get paid to advertize and/or just very personally biased towards them.

When someone edits a chapter, either it comes up again on the front page or there should be a new notification in the user's "Follows" page, or just both if that specific functionality is not separate (don't forget RSS support). Have it opt-in to lessen possible abuse, where some jackass will keep on editing a page just to spam the front page/notifications. I don't want to keep rechecking a chapter if the typo is finally fixed (because I'm too inept to do it myself) so I can finally download it.
^Not sure if someone suggested this already

Thanks for the notice. I know you will keep the good work, mangadex had the best reader from the start.

The only problem I have is really the size of the manga covers in the front page : the height of the cover is 2 cm (0.8in) here. It's seem normal on a phone, but it's really too small on a 10' tablet (windows). The search result have bigger cover ( 3.5 cm = 1.4in) but they still seem small.
Before mangadex, I used to spot specials manga based on the style of the cover. (It's the best way to find well-detailled and dark stories or comical ones). But the current size of the covers in the front page is really to small to see anything at all. I can't see the quality of the art, and sometimes I just don't know what is actually drawn.

I suppose it's not a easy thing to change, so I hope you already thinked about it. Anyway thanks for all the improves you all did ! Maybe we will use the v5 soon.

Dex-chan lover
Can you make it so you can see the amount of chapters a manga has while searching for them? sometimes I'll search for new manga to read and see something interesting only to click on it and find out it's got zero chapters available.

- A "first chapter" button like Webtoon has would be nice, "continue reading" (would select the next chapter from the latest one you've read) would be even better.

- Also, would be nice to be able to know if I've read something before without having to bookmark it. I always browse the "latest" tab, and I've lost count of how many mangas I've read the first chapter, weren't interested and closed it. But when a new chapter is released and I don't remember the name/cover of it, I'll read it again. Yeah, I know, common argument against this would be that I should remember which manga it is and that I didn't like it from the summary, but life is too short to read summaries, and even doing so, after having 728 mangas bookmarked you really won't remember the ones you didn't like.

- Even when I have a specific group blocked and it doesn't show their chapters in the manga page, when I'm finished reading it, and click to go to the manga page (or next chapter if it does have one), it'll go to the spoiler chapters I were supposed not to see. Happened with Iruma, at the end of the chapter I noticed I was reading something I shouldn't if I didn't wanna get spoiled. I've blocked this specific group for this sole reason, kinda sad even then it didn't matter.

1. View entire history of previous read manga (Or at least more than 10)
2. Fit to width that actually fits the manga to width
3. Show last page of each read chapter (If you opened a chapter but didn't actually read the entire chapter it still counts it as read...)
4. Similar manga suggestions when viewing a manga
5. Show what page of the manga you're reading on the page instead of just being in the address bar for long strip when you have the side panel hidden
6. Option to mark multiple/all chapters read
7. Able to mark as read/kept mark as read even if you don't follow them
8. Display last read chapter on latest updates

Fed-Kun's army
so without the update jargon... will the website load faster than it currently is (in regards to chapters loading)?

As for update suggestions... searching my own follows/reading list would be nice instead of having to constantly scroll news pages....

Also, I'd like to see the previous seasons' featured titles...

A similar works section would be nice to find similar manga as well...

Power Uploader
Regarding full site translation, will you consider having links for Official releases (in other languages than English) and links to other websites providing manga databases (I'm mostly thinking about French ones such as Nautiljon, manga-news, manga-sanctuary...) 🤔

There are only 2 things that bother me from time to time. One is that I'm not able to check up on which chapter I'm reading right now without scrolling all the way up. The 2nd thing I'd really appreciate if it were to be implemented is a filter for your follows page so you can make it only display chapters you haven't read.

Aggregator gang
When browsing manga, there are a few things which I really want to see without having to open the manga's page in a new tab:

Author, official status, number of chapters (translated/total), and a few tags. Getting the correct number of translated chapters would probably require setting a preferred reading language.

Another feature I want, not related to reading, is the ability to set a display name.

Perhaps these option are already available, but I can't find them on my phone.

A well labeled and organized front-end to make browser extensions/scripts easier to implement. Things like giving significant DOM nodes id's, or row elements in a list getting a specific class to make selecting and altering (just) them easier. For v3, I wrote my own browser extension in order to tweak this site to be just about perfect for me; I'd like to be able to re-implement that with relative ease after the update.

Hello, first of all, thank you for everything you do, i love mangadex since its creation! and i'm sorry i don't have enough money at the moment to give to thank you but as soon as i can: p

anyway, can you add a wiki page that readers can complete, which would contain for example, a short summary of the arcs, a map, an explanation of powers, policies, lists of characters etc ... ?
also if possible a "recommendation" section of manga / manhwa / manhua similar which is made automatically or by upvote of the readers.

thanks again for everything

Dex-chan lover
is there or is it planned to have a way to delete your own comments from threads?

Power Uploader
I feel that when you sort a manga into dropped it should also stop counting towards the total number of users following the title since you are not really reading it any longer.
As it is right now if a title has been dropped by many users it gives that title a more positive statistic than it should have which could be misinterpreted as it being better that it actually is, and as a user I do not want to support a title which I do not think deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread